Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-20, 06:55 AM  
killoffsonny

30 yrs for me consistently. 90% of it at a gym or yoga studio.
Old 06-19-20, 02:15 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I’m 53 and started my junior year in high school taking an “aerobics” class with a friend from school in 1983. After that I did Gilad on ESPN and would record episodes on a VHS tape so I could exercise whenever I wanted. Then I got a Brenda Dykraff step package which came with a video and I got the Cher step workout and separate Keli Roberts step videos. Then on to Jane Fonda, Firm, and started with Cathe around 1996 with Step Jam and Step Max. I found VF in 1998, the year my son was born, which is when I really started expanding my collection. I like the variety that streaming supplies, but I love the physical act of putting in a DVD and making sure my workout area is set up while the intro music plays.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 10:28 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
...but I love the physical act of putting in a DVD and making sure my workout area is set up while the intro music plays.
I'm the same!
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 10:07 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Since 1979. I hated gym when I was kid--had no aptitude for organized sports, which is what gym classes seemed to emphasize.

Thanks to Jim Fixx's book, I started with running, then in the early 80s attended a faculty/staff group exercise class at the university where I was working and going to graduate school. I just loved it, but over time, my knees did not love running and high impact aerobic workouts and I had to give those up.

I switched to yoga (home practice and some live classes too) and weight training via Joyce Vedral's books as well as walking and bike riding. I didn't have access to a TV/ VCR until 2000, and that's when I got into video workouts. Some of the ones I did back then I still do, and still love. The majority of the video workouts I do now are yoga. Some are DVDs, others are YouTube. I do weight workouts on my own.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 07:05 PM  
ots

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliel View Post
I even wore shiny colorful leotards. Ha ha.
I wanted the shiny leotards soooo bad --- but, they were too expensive. I had a couple of the braided headbands though...
ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 09:37 PM  
ksleeth
VF Supporter

It’s been 39 years for me. I took an aerobics class in college and was hooked. Joined a gym and started weight training, etc. My husband bought me Cathe’s first step VHS after our daughter was born (he saw it advertised in a fitness magazine) and I’ve enjoyed exercise videos ever since. Exercise is just part of my life. I’d be a mess without it.
Old 06-29-20, 11:33 AM  
spearrmint

Yesh!!!!

Me too, Kim. So glad we have so many choices to work out at home, especially right now! Nothing has changed for us video geeks. I started jogging & Jazzercise in 1984 so 36 years I guess. I'm back to doing Jazzercise again now that they have Jazzercise on Demand (JOD). I'm lovin' it!
spearrmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 01:01 PM  
Karla25

Me! Me! Me! Although I’ve celebrated many 29th birthdays, I have been exercising longer than that -eek!

I was a Firmie (with a light sprinkling of Cathe & yoga) for most of those years. My habits changed dramatically after becoming involved with this group. Yes, I blame you! I’ve become an enabled vidiot and love enabling others.

I don’t do my beloved Firm workouts as often anymore. I love having discovered so many different types of exercise workouts. My weight has increased since changing my workouts. Not sure if it’s because I’ve finally decided to (dare I say) admit that I am older than 29, or if those pesky hormones are at fault.

Anyhow, this group has been a blessing in my life. I never would have discovered Margaret Richard, KCM, Classical Stretch, kundalini yoga or numerous other instructors and workouts without you. Thank you for being here and being helpful to us uninformed individuals. I really appreciate you!
Old 07-01-20, 07:35 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Yes! Although I never lifted weights until I found VF.

I always was a walker, but after our 4th child was born 25 years ago, it was too hard to get out and walk on my days off work or weekends consistently. We lived way out in the country and I didn't know many people in our area (so no child care options). I bought 2 workout tapes at Wal-Mart and didn't care for them. I searched on the internet (the days of dial up out in the country---it would go out during hard rains) for workout tape reviews, discovered VF and there was no looking back. My first Collage order included Firm Vol. 4 and 6 and I fell in love. The Firm saved me during my years of raising 5 children born over 10 years. I could do one set or exercises, pause the tape to change a diaper or referee a fight, and then pick back up where I left off.

Now I still walk, but also do weights with Jessica, Cathe and my beloved Firms a few days a week.

Leslie
Old 07-02-20, 10:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I wonder what the difference is in folks who keep up a fitness routine for 20, 30, 40+ years?

My DH does quite a bit of hiking. Every year, he notes the packed hiking trails in January for the "New Year, New Me" type of new fitness converts.

By April, the trails are sparse again.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, first workout, first workouts, vf history