Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-06, 09:23 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Tennis elbow--I hate the brace! Heat\ice? What worked for you?

I've tried 2-the armband you get at Walmart and the one the doctor gave me -attaches by velcro above and below the joint and hinges in the middle (metal hinges). I've been on anti-inflammatories for 6 weeks. 2 cortisone shots. It is somewhat better ( I can curl my hair without pain now) but still aggravating. I see the doctor again in 2 weeks and am going to ask to be referred to physical therapy. Dh keeps thinking I should wear the brace but I think it makes it worse. For example, before I went to the doctor I bought the Walmart armband. Within 2 days the elbow was worse. A couple days after the second cortisone shot the elbow was better and so I thought I'd give the doctor prescribed brace another try. The elbow now hurts more (this also happened the 1st time I tried to wear the doctor's brace). I've looked up the stretches on the internet and do those. I've modified my workouts and daily activities to not do contra-indicated moves. Did anyone try a heating pad or icing the elbow? I'm going to order the Trigger Therapy book. I read accupuncture worked on this thread, but that would be hard for me to find.
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...t=tennis+elbow
Old 12-05-06, 09:58 PM  
dnna

I overdid the weighted balls and have been suffering with tennis elbow for about 6 weeks as well. It is very difficult to treat. The brace and the exercises at physical therapy just aggravated it and now I am resting it. I do go to an acupressure person and omgosh, does that hurt but it does seem to make an improvement.
I haven't done the cortisone shots, but I might go that route if it doesn't improve. I take advil once in a while
The physical therpist said to ice it, the accupressure person said heat- so there ou go!
I am going to ask my dr. to refer me to another more progressive pt unit-this was at the local hospital and I was very disappointed in the care.well, good luck, I know how much it hurts.
donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 10:06 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

The thing that worked best for me for pain relief was acupuncture. I tried EVERYTHING else. The sports med doc even had a custom elbow brace made for me. One of my friends talked me into going for acupuncture and I was totally skeptical, but it worked great.
Old 12-05-06, 10:27 PM  
JustSandra

My tennis elbow was work-related.

What worked best for me was changing careers, and going to part time! Great for my elbow, although not wonderful for my bank accout!

Icing provided some short-term relief, and I think the band support helps.

Good luck!

Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 10:35 PM  
lorrayne
VF Supporter

Are you sure the pain is from the brace and not the cortisone shot? Just checking as a friend of mine had the same problem you're experiencing immediately after the shot. The pain was so intense that she could barely move her arm. This lasted for three days and then the pain disappeared. All this pain was a result of the cortisone shot. She still wears the brace and it has helped (in addition to massage and accupuncture). You must STOP doing all exercises that are aggravating your elbow for a few months to allow time for the injury to heal.

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne
lorrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 11:22 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Oh, it is definitely from the brace. I know the pain you are talking about from the shot. I only had a rough hour or two after the shot. The elbow got a lot better a couple days after the shot. I thought I would give the doctor prescribed brace another try then because I thought that might just be the thing to cure it right up since I thought I was well on the path to recovery. I quit doing all upper body for 2 months, I have the kids do the heavy lifting, I use my left arm as much as possible. I tried ice in the beginning. I tried heat. Nothing gave relief until the cortisone. My neighbor is from Malaysia and I think she might know where to find accupuncture (I kind of live in the boonies, but can be in St. Louis in 90 minutes). i think mine was triggered by computer position (the chicken arms thing) and now try to limit typing to the laptop because I can change the position of my arms more easily (plus have cut down on typing too). Thanks everybody ! I just am not a very patient person and I LOVE my total body workouts and miss them so! Leslie
Old 12-06-06, 06:33 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

I had what must of been a mild case about a year ago that I successfully self-treated. It lasted a few months. I used ice (it's tendonitis, so heat doesn't make sense to me), a few weeks of rest from upper body movements. Then I added back exercises that caused no twisting of the joint. I also used wristroller, working in both directions, finger extensions and light hammer curls for rehab.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 09:49 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I am dealing with a recurring issue with this as well, but I call it Yoga elbow, LOL. I think it is from triceps work, and hyperextending during down dog, etc. Regarding that pressure band. I have one. Does anybody know if it works as a preventative device? I don't even know if it goes over or under the elbow. I think it had this plastic bubble that went in it at one point, to put even more pressure on some point in the arm. I am hoping that if I wear this thing today during YogaX that it will keep me from making it worse. For those of you who have been prescribed these things, where is the best place to put the pressure cuff???

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 09:17 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

golfer's elbow

Hi,

I've been dx'd with golfer's elbow - same as tennis elbow but on the other side of the elbow. Both my sports med doctor and physical therapist recommend icing the elbow regularly, and icing seems to help some.

My doctor also told me to wear the elbow cuff (below the elbow) as much as possible - partly as a preventative measure and partly as a restorative one.

My PT said to avoid hyperextending the elbow - that is just extremely bad for the elbow and that is contributes to and can even cause golfer's/tennis elbow. I hyperextend something like 23% on my left arm (the injured one) and only 15% on my right arm/elbow. This is something I have to be aware of at all times - even doing something as simple as a bicep curl or tricep extension or carrying something down by my side.

I can't take anti-inflamatories and my doctor doesn't do steroid shots, except in extreme cases. I don't think I'll ever be pain free again. It's more a matter of learning how to lessen the pain (and occasionally prevent it).

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 09:42 AM  
F1mom

Yoga Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
I am dealing with a recurring issue with this as well, but I call it Yoga elbow, LOL. I think it is from triceps work, and hyperextending during down dog, etc.
I had Yoga Elbow really, really bad but thought it was poor ergonomics at work until I took a class at Sonic and realized I was holding my elbows at the wrong angle during downward facing dog. I was told to make the creases of my elbows face the front of the room and it made a huge difference.

For treatment, however, I saw a sports chiropractor who did ice therapy, adjustments and ultrasound. The ultrasound made the biggest difference, as did the anti-inflammatory elimination program I followed.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote