Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-14, 01:42 PM  
killoffsonny

I have been unable to do anything about the loose triceps for about five years now. I'm 60. I'm fairly thin so it's not too bad. I put more emphasis on my arms than any other part of my body when I am exercising because I hate to wear sleeves in the summer. But as someone else in this thread said ....I have even seen instructors in their fifties and yes even men that have a little bit of looseness so there's probably not much one can do when they get older. I agree that TA and that type of workout tones up the arms the best but yes then again one loses strength when not lifting heavier.
Old 08-09-14, 09:55 PM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue b View Post
my success story is that i've succeeded in not caring whether my arms have wings or not, and if anyone doesn't like how my arms look, they can look at something else
+1
Old 08-10-14, 02:02 AM  
Gancho Girl

I've just gotten back from Carolyne Anthony's Pilates for Menopause training course, and she talks about how the loose arm issue is due to the loss of fat from the area when we hit menopause (due to changing hormone levels).

She refers to them as where her angel wings are growing back in. :-)

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 02:40 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
I am 50 & no batwings just FAT belly
I'm 61 and the same. The weight came on below my navel (I REFUSE to use the m word some doctor coined, because it IS NOT a pot) with menopause and it's a genetic as other body characteristics. I miss my formerly flat belly, but, a waist is a terrible thing to mind. We all deal with the genetic hand we're dealt. And the muscles underneath are rock hard.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 09:47 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

hmmm... I think we should start a trend with "bat wing" tattoos

maybe a nice feather pattern?

if we have 'em we might as well enjoy the extra...um... yardage to decorate!
Old 08-22-14, 05:06 PM  
Negin

I'm 46 and my arms (and abs) are my biggest problem areas. I could workout till I'm blue in the face, but those triceps just won't tone up the way I'd like them to. I know that it has a lot to do with clean eating, something I struggle with greatly these days .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My other success story is scouring Chico's Outlet and clearance racks looking for 3/4 sleeve shirts and the loose-weave crochet type tops that you can wear over a tank - cool for summer while the bats are kept at roost.
I agree. I refuse to wear sleeveless and I live in the tropics. I think that most women over a certain age look better with sleeves - short, 3/4-length, whatever. It really annoys me that designers and clothing manufacturers ignore this need. I don't want to always wear a short-sleeved cardigan. I would just like some dresses and tops with short/three-quarter sleeves for crying out loud! I have some, but they're hard to find.
Old 08-22-14, 05:21 PM  
Tanja

Is it possible, bat wings are just caused by under-worked muscles?

The triceps are a bigger muscle than the biceps but we usually use lighter weights than with biceps. Most videos use lighter weights for triceps and heavier weights for biceps. I wonder what would happen if we turn that around as one would think the size of the triceps would permit? If I use a forty pound bar for biceps curls I should be able to to use at least forty pounds for french press.

As I was still going to the gym, I used the isolation machines. For biceps, I would use 50 lbs and for the isolation triceps, I used 65 lbs.

I am 46 and do not have bat wings (yet).
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 06:18 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am almost 57 and don't have any bat wings, my arms are lean but not particularly muscular. I haven't done a lot of weight training, but have done a lot of power yoga and swimming. Maybe it's just body build, maybe it's just luck. Whatever the reason, I'll take it!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm workouts, bat wings, batwings, swan arms, toning arms, triceps