Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-12, 05:32 PM  
Butterflygurl

Need to rev things up and not sure where to go from here.

I have been lurking here for more years that I have been a member. My weight has gone up, down and back up again. I have worked out then stopped. September 2011, I joined a gym and I have been working out consistently. I have lost 43 lbs thus far and would like to lose another 80-100. I have been working with a trainer once a week but that is getting costly and I know that I have a long road to go. Therefore, I am looking back at my dvd collection for the help I need. I realize that this is a lifestyle change and I call it my journey. I am very impatient with how I am losing weight and do not want to get discouraged. I want to remain consistent. My thoughts were to do the following:

Monday- spinning (am)/Insanity (pm)
Tuesday- weights (am)/Insanity (pm)
Wednesday- spinning (am)/Insanity (pm)
Thursday- weights (am)/Insanity (pm)
Friday- Insanity
Saturday- spinning, trainer (until pre-payment are exhausted)(am)/Insanity (pm)
Sunday Rest

Is this too ambitious? Am I still too large to do a full round of Insanity? I am exhausted after doing one workout. The thought of 6 days is very overwhelming.

Any help is very much appreciated.

p.s. Here is a pic of before and during. Is there anyone else here who lost this large amount of weight?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1104079...87660603750994
Old 07-06-12, 05:34 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don't have any advice for you about Insanity, but want to congratulate you on your weight loss! Way to go and good luck with reaching your goal!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 05:41 PM  
Butterflygurl

Thank you yogapam!!
Old 07-06-12, 05:42 PM  
muffins135

Your plan looks pretty intense. When you say you are exhausted after one workout! that says it all. In my opinion, it is too much. Every time I tried Insanity I got sick...ended up selling it. I'm loving JNL Fusion!
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 05:47 PM  
JEWEL659

Way to go on your transformation! You look great. I wonder if this is too much? What if you do Insanity or Spinning? But not both in one day.
Old 07-06-12, 05:58 PM  
Butterflygurl

Thanks JEWEL658!! I agree w/ both you and muffins135. I thought it was ambitious, but I was trying to do a rotation and keep up my workouts at the gym. I feel I need to keep the consistency of my morning workouts. I want to add something in the evenings. Maybe I will just do Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire... I will look into JNL Fusion, but, I have so many at home I was hoping to do something I already have, esp. since I do the majority of my workouts at the gym right now. Thanks!!
Old 07-06-12, 05:59 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Congratulations on your progress so far That's amazing already!!

I would say that if the idea of what you proposed sounds overwhelming to you... cut it down a bit. Like Jewel659 said, maybe just do one or the other each day so that you are doing Insanity 3 days week instead of 6. If you do the first workout of the day and then still feel okay, decide at that point if you want to add another. It's not a matter of being too ambitious and it's understandable that you want to progress as quickly as possible. You just don't want to risk burnout/resentment of your workouts or possible overtraining that could set you back instead of moving you forward. Just be sure to listen to what your body tells you!
Old 07-06-12, 06:08 PM  
Blackadar

Congrats on your progress. As someone who has lost a large amount of weight (closing in on 80 pounds), I wouldn't suggest that intense of a workout schedule. I've done round 1 of Insanity - I hated it, but did the first 4 weeks - and your joints take an awful pounding. Your body needs time to rest and heal - what you have proposed is a recipe for injury. It's likely that something, sometime is going to wear out and you're going to set yourself back. The last thing you want to do is spoil the progress you've made by tearing a ligament or Achilles tendon.

While I understand the "slow" progress, it took years for you to gain that weight. It may take a couple of years to lose it. This isn't a race, this isn't a destination - as you said, it's a journey. It's going to take time. What you're doing it working. Just take it one day at a time, eat properly (which is the single biggest factor in weight loss), exercise moderately and the results will come.
Old 07-06-12, 06:08 PM  
muffins135

Walking would be great....
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 06:09 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Kim, you look great, and congratulations on what you've accomplished already!!!

Re: your "extreme" plan, BTDT myself and I think frankly it looks like a recipe for self-defeat and failure, as mine was. And you don't want to do that to yourself! The truth is, you can only safely lose so much weight per week, and you want it to come mostly from fat, not muscle and water (which is would be if you lost a lot every week). You've done an amazing job so far, so don't be too hard on yourself. Your proposed schedule sounds punishing.

If you like and can keep up with Insanity and want to follow it, I'd be inclined to do it no more than 2-3x per week, and on alternating days do weights/stretching (or cardio/sculpt using weights). Make sure you take 1 or 2 days off each week to rest or just walk. As you progress and get better conditioned you can always up the challenge. But there's no point in overdoing things and/or hurting yourself in the process. I'm all for finding (non-grueling) workouts you love so you will stick to them. Good luck to you!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote