Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-09, 08:30 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Actually I was referring to Pykkalo's comparison of

Quote:
On one day I did a hill interval workout on the treadmill, 5-minute warm-up/cool-down at 3mph, walking intervals of 3mph @ 5% incline and 3.3mph at no incline. I walked 2.3 miles in 45 minutes and burned 361 calories (156 calories per mile)... and that was with the extra calorie-burning boost of the 5% incline.
with

Quote:
I did Leslie Sansone's "Walk This Way" workout... a beginner's 2-mile "walk"- it was the only one I could find easily, LOL. Actual cardio part lasted 26 minutes (I am not including the stretching at the end). I burned, according to my Polar F6 heartrate monitor, 235 calories in that 26 minutes. 117 calories per mile, 9 calories per minute.
You can't really compare steady state to intervals; intervals will always win!

This is always interesting to me, how much you burn with Leslie vs. treadmill. I rarely do steady state on the treadmill, I usually do walk/jog intervals either on my own or with Coach Sean... Outdoor walking around here is also interval, because it is a very hilly terrain and your HR is gonna cycle whether you want it to or not, you jsut can't flatten out the hills! Still, I burn about as much per mile with Leslie as outdoor walking. I suspect that is because while outdoor walking is harder, it is ONLY lower body (and all in one direction), whereas Leslie is more four-limbed with a greater variety of movements.

In Indiana, which is FLAT, I definitely burned a LOT less with outdoor walking!

I just love four-limbed movement. I loved the Firm's four-limbed aerobics and I love it when Leslie does a lot of arms. I find that overall I get a far more significant calorie burn when the arms are added into the equation....

THe benefit of the treadmill is you can create your own intervals, which Pykkalo did and I do too, either with incline or speed, whereas with any dvd workout you are stuck with THEIR intervals. If I'm doing 2:2 walk:jogs on the treadmill and I'm feeling like it, I can throw in a couple 3 minute jogs.

Overall I like both and do both and don't nitpick the specific calorie burns too much in practice, but I find it very interesting in theory.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 09:37 AM  
Gardengirl

Interesting! I've never tracked either way but am amazed that a Leslie w/o can burn as much or more! But it does make sense because of the arm movements which you wouldn't generally use outdoors! Lol!

But, having done Leslie, treadmill and outdoor walking, I do think that while the calories burned might be similar, the muscles I use walking outdoors are different than the ones used with a treadmill or Leslie. I definitely "feel" my outdoor walks in places that I don't feel them otherwise. So using all 3 methods is different and fun.
Old 06-29-09, 09:58 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
You can't really compare steady state to intervals; intervals will always win!
yes, absolutely, no argument there.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 10:33 AM  
Pykkalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Overall I like both and do both and don't nitpick the specific calorie burns too much in practice, but I find it very interesting in theory.
Calorie burn aside, I think it's great to alternate between the two because they both work the muscle groups in such different ways, like Judy said.
Pykkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 12:23 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pykkalo View Post
Calorie burn aside, I think it's great to alternate between the two because they both work the muscle groups in such different ways, like Judy said.
I agree! And it reduces the boredom factor and maybe some overuse (ya think?). I walk a lot at work (over 14K steps so far and it's early pm) and do some walking with Leslie at home, but not too much these days. Now my work-walks aren't exactly aerobic, but I've been shocked at how sweaty and heavy-breathing I get when you throw in scrubbing floors or vacuuming around spaces that are crammed with junk It's all good.
Old 06-29-09, 01:36 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pykkalo View Post
I think you are SO right, Pykkalo; I totally agree. I over-analyze and pick these things apart because I find it interesting and fun but when the rubber meets the road and its time to get practical, I'm a "just move it!" kinda girl. Cross-training is always a good thing for both body and mind.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 02:13 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I was thinking about this thread earlier when I was walking with Leslie. Now I really enjoy my outdoor walks because my neighborhood is very interesting to walk around. I've got hilly woods, park path around a pond, and a somewhat historic area with lots of old, interesting houses to look at.

But I look at my Leslie walks as something different. Yes, I use my arms more, but Leslie also uses different moves such as sidesteps, hamstring curls, and knee ups, so different muscles get involved. And being indoors, I can safely exaggerate the moves. Like Lydia said, it's all good

Tags
leslie sansone, leslie vs treadmill, mile equivalency, outdoor walking, polar, powerbelt walking system, treadmill vs leslie, walking