Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-05, 12:58 AM  
pipsqueak3211

When you can't do your normal workouts...

would you rather modify your usual tough workout or use an easier tape? I had my wisdom teeth removed recently. Needless to say, Cathe and I didn't spend a lot of time together that week! While I was doing my nice easy Kathy Smith workouts, I realized that even though it was an easy workout for me, I was still "keeping up" with the class and Kathy. For me, it's better psychologically to keep up with the instructor and not have to modify than to use a super tough tape and have to be "behind" the instructor. It just irks me to no end to not be able do to the tape as it is presented. I think it's my competitive nature. What about you? Would you rather modify a tough workout or use an easier tape? I'm thinking VFers are a competitive bunch but who knows!
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 01:05 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Good question!

I am like you, and prefer to do a workout that I can do in its entirety, as designed, without modifying. To me, it's about feeling that I can succeed at what I am doing. For example, when I take ice skating lessons, I would rather be in the easier class and be able to do everything, as opposed to go into a more advanced class and be struggling to keep up (which would make me want to give up). If I feel like I can't do something well, then I either don't want to do it at all, or I want to work like crazy to become good at it. I'm a perfectionist with a competitive streak (what a combination).

The past 2 weeks, I've been sidelined with a knee sprain, so I did not attempt to do anything that would affect the knee. I just did whatever I could, and although I felt frustrated at being limited, I knew that it was the right thing to do, and that I would heal faster by taking it easy.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 02:21 AM  
rainbell

I'm with you.......when I need to take things easier, I much prefer doing a tape I can keep up with. Psychological, I guess!

That's the reason I keep tapes of varying degree in my collection, for example Kathy Smith's tapes, some of Leslie's tapes, some easier Andre tapes, and Tim Culwell.

And even though I tried to trade away my Kathy Kahler Celeb step tape, when I was starting back after knee surgery, I was sooooo grateful I still had it. It is really repetitive, up down, up down, unlike my favorite dancy choreo, and it was just what I needed to get my knee back into condition! I did a month of the treadmill, and my knee still felt like if wasn't "gelling", but once I started doing the Kathy Kahler tape, it felt "normal" after a week! So now, I won't trade it! Because I'd rather do a boring, repetitive step tape than not do step at all!

Rainbell
rainbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 07:41 AM  
Kyra

Most definitely, I prefer to do something I can, rather than struggle to do something I can't. I don't really keep a supply of "easier" tapes on hand, though. What I'll usually do is to for a walk outside, OR do an uncomplicated virgin (perfect excuse to use light or no weights), or do something stretchy... Mostly, though, I prefer the walk. In addition to the exercise benefits, it's just nice to get outside.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 08:46 AM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

I usually would rather do a tape I can keep up with, little to no modifying. That said, when I was pregnant, I found pregnancy and beginner tapes not nearly interesting or challenging enough. Modifying pretty much became a way of life, even with my lower intensity tapes, given the ever-changing center of gravity issues.

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
ErinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 09:43 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I also prefer to do an easier tape. For me, part of that choice is that I've kept some old favorites, so pulling them out is kind of fun because they are like old friends. KV's personal best is one I keep around for restarting/recovery! Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:34 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Count me in the easier workout group. I also use them for days when I'm just plain tired or just not in the mood to exercise.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:41 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Like Rainbell, my workout collection contains beginner-advance workouts. I love having a wide range of workouts. I will never push myself if I'm feeling something coming on, a slight injury, or when I have some dental/medical procedures done.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:44 AM  
Fanny

Add me to list of full array of workouts with lots of variety, "Mama said there would be days like this" that is what I save the easier ones for!
Fanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 10:47 AM  
Joe

Definitely easier. It gives a feeling of accomplishment when the workout is over.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote