Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 01-03-11, 09:25 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two View Post
I get so discouraged cause the "easier" stuff like Leslie, or Richard Simmons, or other walking workouts. I will do some harder stuff like taebo, or firm, every once in awhile but they are a real struggle for me and not stuff I can do on a regular basis. All the talk of all the different systems has me confused on what all I need to be trying to add . I need to lose at least 50 lbs, but that will still be considered overweight. I definately do not want to lose the weight and still look flabby and unfit.
You have to start off where YOU can start off. Don't compare yourself to anyone else or think that you "should" be somewhere. Where you SHOULD be is exactly where you are -- committed to working out. It all starts with that attitude, first and foremost. All the systems and calorie counting in the world won't get you anywhere without motivation and commitment. Also, realizing that it really is a lifestyle change is important. You have your whole LIFE to dedicate to being the best YOU that you can possibly be. How encouraging is THAT? That should take so much pressure off.

There is a lady on here who lost 80 pounds through Leslie. I hope she chimes in. I cannot remember her name. So if Leslie is what you can do, then you are in good company. Start there. Hell, finish there as long as you are seeing results and your body feels good and happy. Definitely add weights for bone strength and to keep off the flabby, but don't do more than you can do. It will discourage you to no end. And don't poo poo instructors who aren't "advanced" like Kathy Smith or Leslie. They can put out some tough stuff too (I love Kathy's Secrets series).

Anyways, good luck on your lifestyle quest!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 06:21 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I've lost and regained but am starting out yet again. I always seem to go back to walking outside and Leslie Sansone! I do a lot of hers now on my rebounder.
Old 12-01-11, 10:12 AM  
Buffgirl

I have never gained back...

I lost about 50 pounds and never gained back. I cannot credit one DVD or a system. You can lose weight without exercise only my eating healty and cutting calories. Most exercise system work, the firm, CLX, Cathe, P90X, Insanity, RKS, Skoggs, etc..
The key is to be consistent and to eat clean at the same time.

Take a look at your goals, do you want more muscle on your body? Or are you looking for a slim look? Also, consider what activiy do you like best. Do you like dancing or athletic workouts? Pick something that you like and follow it for at least 6 weeks, and when you get tired of it, pick another system, that is the beauty of it, there are so many choices.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 10:26 AM  
melzie

What works is what you will do, and do consistently. I stopped working out a few years ago, divorce, keeping 2 jobs going, moving, life... It is hard to get going, if you never have worked out, or have stopped.

I start doing just a few minutes a day when I can. It may only be 5 or 10 minutes, it may be only a minute of picking up light dumbells and doing a few bicep curls. It could be doing plies or squats at the copier at work when no one is around. I continue this pattern until I break out a video. I may not make it through the entire video the first go. I will finish it the next day. I continue this for a few weeks, by then end of a month or two, my body craves more exercise and I slowly build up from there. Then the challenge becomes what keeps my interest enough to stay consistent.

For me it is a slow process, building one little step at a time. After a few months of tiny steps I am fully addicted to working out again, and then I start to see healthful gains, and some in the mirror too. Mostly, I feel better about myself, my mood is no longer low all the time, my body feels stronger - even with the tiny beginnings.

Hang in there! Oh, and please don't try to over do either. That can lead to injury and more set backs. Everyone has to start out slowly.
melzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 10:43 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith938 View Post
I've lost and regained but am starting out yet again. I always seem to go back to walking outside and Leslie Sansone! I do a lot of hers now on my rebounder.

I've had to lose a lot of weight three times in my life, after the birth of my two children, and my journey back into fitness.

All three times I started with walking outdoors. With my two children, I built up to running, because exercise videos weren't available yet. About 6 months into getting back into shape, I started lifting again.

During my journey back into fitness, a period where I was truly a beginner for the first time in my life, I added Richard Simmons and Leslie Sansone's workouts. But again, it took me about 5 months before I could add their workouts in without causing back pain. The lateral motion was not good for my recovery.

By the 8th month, I had lost about 60 lbs. and Tae Bo came out. Tae Bo is what really tightened me up! I didn't add any strength work until well over a year into my journey back into fitness.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 03:13 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Before my surgeries, I lost about 35 pounds and I credit it to Cathe. I did her Hardcore Series and SASH Series almost exclusively along with adding outdoor activities like walking, running, and volleyball when the weather warmed.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 03:45 PM  
Hej

First time with basic step videos for cardio (Kathy Smith, Gin Miller, Keli Roberts, and Kari Anderson) and Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper/Lower Body. Then I advanced to the pre-Goodtimes Firm classics, Crosstrainers, Cardios, and Supers. Then I advanced to Cathe's and other advanced instructors.

Post baby (2 times), it was Joyce Vedral. Honestly I get the best results ever from that woman's workouts and following her eating guidelines loosely--and the results come fast. The only cardio I did was walking outside with the baby in the carriage and moderately paced bicycle commuting (about 30 to 60 total/day).
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 07:45 PM  
Diana3271

For me, I have seen the best results from any type of longer cardio (around an hour of cardio is best for me).

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 04:48 PM  
CarlaShanti

I lost 70ish pounds about 8 years ago and have kept it off. The key for me is clean nutrition and working out consistently at a level that just pushes me. In other words, things I can do that cause me to stretch just that tad bit beyond what I thought I could do, without going to the puke-in-a-bucket level. I'm in it for fitness and calorie burning, not peak athletic performance, so I don't worry about not being able to do a pull up or 10 consecutive tuck jumps or whatever.

I started with the Firm, then Jari, then Cathe, then Chalene and now I'm currently in a honeymoon phase with KCM.

I say, every workout you do should get you sweating and working as hard as you can work, otherwise what's the point? But not working so hard you are actually causing injury to yourself, or a workout that is beyond your capability and so makes you feel bad about not achieving (for me, things like 'Insanity', etc).

Oh, I forgot to answer your question! When I was in my weight loss phase, I was using Firm Body Sculpting Systems 1-4, exclusively. Great results. All the rest came during maintenance--ie, the rest of my life!
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 11:32 PM  
rad

bump
rad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadway sweat, kathy smith tone up, mis, old thread alert, results, significant weight loss, successful weight loss, weight loss