Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-19, 12:04 PM  
Tugger31

Unhappy Herniated Disc

I have a herniated disc in my neck and haven't been able to do much of anything for almost a month now. I have been to the doc, had xrays, meds etc and I know it will take time. Has this happened to anyone here, what has been your experience? What sort of exercises even post recovery can you no longer do or just avoid? This has been awful and frustrating! Thanks for sharing your story, words of encouragement.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-19, 12:18 PM  
owltx

Tugger-

I don't have a similar experience to share, I just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear this!Ugh! It sounds like you are doing everything right; I know from a friend's experience with a herniated disc in her back that it just really took her some time before she got back to her routine. Sending healing thought your way!
Old 08-21-19, 03:17 PM  
gladgirl

Likewise...no experience with this myself. (but know people who had problems)
So sorry you are dealing with this.
Sending up a prayer for healing for you.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-19, 04:19 PM  
CharM

Sorry, Tugger. I have no experience with this, either, but want to send you a get well wish. Just continue taking care of yourself and hopefully soon you'll be back to working out, but don't rush it!
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-19, 05:48 PM  
Lannette

I’m really sorry that you’re dealing with this. I’m recovering from having two bulging discs in my neck. That was so painful that I can’t imagine what your pain must be like!

I was lucky enough to find a very unusual chiropractor who also does energy work. There’s no snap, crackle, pop - just unbelievably gentle nudging and pressure on the muscles around the area she’s working on. She told me how my neck was out of alignment and how she needed it to change. I added stretches to make that happen and the discs are no longer bulging. It took 6 weeks to get to that point.

I had pain in my left shoulder, arm and hand if I over did it. It was like my pain barometer. I started by walking in our yard multiple times a day. Once I worked my way back to 2 slow miles I started doing beginner and pregnancy workouts in addition to walking. I’m slowly progressing my exercise. My chiropractor said I’ll be fine but need to be patient.

I used to work with a PT who gave disc patients movements to encourage the disc to go back into alignment. Will you be doing PT? Has your doctor given you movement guidelines?

I tried THESE exercises but my neck and upper spine was initially too locked up to tolerate them.

How did you hurt your neck? I slipped on a wet floor of all things. I kept my balance but my neck took a hit.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 03:45 AM  
Tugger31

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! I have stretching exercises to do and some I still cannot do yet. I am able to walk now almost pain free. Unfortunately it's on my dominate side so every day things like brushing my teeth have been interesting to learn to do with my opposite hand. I have also had massage therapy which at first was difficult because I couldn't lay on the table without pain. I was given muscle relaxers and steroids too which have helped a little. The recovery process has been slow. I am not sure exactly what I did. At first I thought I just slept on my neck wrong and kept working out. Looking back I have "slept wrong" a few times over the past few years and the pain was similar but to a much lesser degree so I suspect this has been something slowly in the making for years. The only thing I've been doing more of lately has been burpees which I have done before but more modified. I have also been using a TRX door attachment for modified pull ups. So maybe something there aggravated an existing problem. I also work on a computer all day. I'm guessing it's alot of things including probably some aging changes. I will likely need to revamp my future workouts. I do primarily Cathe and Jessica Smith. I was doing P90X3 and was in my 7th week when this happened. I'm not saying that caused it as I have had this pain before to a much, much lesser degree. I'm going to try some lower body standing leg work in a few days and see how things go. Until then, I'll keep walking!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 09:44 AM  
LAC

I feel for you. I had been having problems with numbness and tingling in my hands for years, which I thought was carpal tunnel. Earlier this year it began to spread all the way up my dominant arm, causing weakness in my bicep. This was followed by unrelenting shoulder pain. An MRI in April revealed that my issues are really in my neck - I have something going on at every level of my cervical spine (bulging discs, herniated discs, arthritis, stenosis and nerve impingement). I have been in physical therapy for months now. Most of the exercises they have me do use bands/tubing, not dumbbells. Also, I need to go at a pace that is much slower than what is shown in most videos (otherwise, my form suffers - my shoulders creep up towards my ears). I don't really have any specific advice to give, other than to be kind to yourself. I think that learning what will help/hurt is somewhat of an individual process.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 10:02 AM  
slockhart

Hi there!
I had three herniated discs in my neck in 2011 (8 years ago now). I was working as a fitness instructor at the time. I had to take three months off from instructing. After 4-6 weeks, I was able to start walking and doing things like walking lunges. The most helpful thing to me was my chiropractor. Doctors only wanted to give me drugs for pain, but I couldn't even function taking those (I don't tolerate painkillers). It was a long road to recovery for a fitness addict, but I had no choice. I remember waking up one morning and I couldn't even move! It was so painful so resting wasn't a problem at the beginning, but when I started to feel better, it was super hard. I still have to see a chiropractor every couple of months for maintenance because it still gives me issues.
If you have any questions, let me know! I've been there!
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 10:55 AM  
Lannette

Pretty much everything you wrote I also experienced. It’s my dominant arm that’s affected too.

My husband is a massage therapist and I was unable to lay on the table. He felt so bad and finally did Chair massage. If you’re having sleep issues a head/neck support might help. I slept on one for weeks.

Even though it’s typical to use heat once the acute phase is past my chiropractor told me that “nerves” respond better to icing. I iced 20 minutes an hour at first and if I overdo it now I’ll ice. It really helps.

I was surprised how much walking hurt at first but it honestly feels like the best thing for it now.

I now do Cathe Beginner/Intermediate Step because they’re slower. I started without risers and now use one. I mention that because you said you do Cathe.

I hope your standing LB work goes well. It’s hard to be side lined so suddenly.

Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! I have stretching exercises to do and some I still cannot do yet. I am able to walk now almost pain free. Unfortunately it's on my dominate side so every day things like brushing my teeth have been interesting to learn to do with my opposite hand. I have also had massage therapy which at first was difficult because I couldn't lay on the table without pain. I was given muscle relaxers and steroids too which have helped a little. The recovery process has been slow. I am not sure exactly what I did. At first I thought I just slept on my neck wrong and kept working out. Looking back I have "slept wrong" a few times over the past few years and the pain was similar but to a much lesser degree so I suspect this has been something slowly in the making for years. The only thing I've been doing more of lately has been burpees which I have done before but more modified. I have also been using a TRX door attachment for modified pull ups. So maybe something there aggravated an existing problem. I also work on a computer all day. I'm guessing it's alot of things including probably some aging changes. I will likely need to revamp my future workouts. I do primarily Cathe and Jessica Smith. I was doing P90X3 and was in my 7th week when this happened. I'm not saying that caused it as I have had this pain before to a much, much lesser degree. I'm going to try some lower body standing leg work in a few days and see how things go. Until then, I'll keep walking!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 11:47 AM  
slockhart

PS. I forgot to mention that this caused like a thoracic outlet syndrome affecting my left arm/shoulder. I still do not have the same strength on the left that I do on the right. It really affects the way I do push ups and chest presses, etc. When my neck first went out, I couldn't even push open the car door with my left arm. It does get better, but you need time.
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, herniated disc, neck pain