Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-16, 03:27 PM  
loverly7

OT: how to prevent fruit flies

I am so frustrated and hope you all can help me. I always keep fresh bananas and tomatoes in the house. The problem is that we have fruit flies right now and I am so frustrated. I have always read to not store bananas or tomatoes in the refrigerator but I don't know how to protect my produce on the kitchen counter from the fruit flies. It just frustrates me to no end because I'm about to the point of just not keeping fresh food that has to be stored at room temperature in our house but that would eliminate some of my favorite foods. Please help!!!!!

Just an FYI, the past four times I have been to the grocery store they are having problems with fruit flies as well. Whatever the fruit flies are near I don't ever buy but we still have these things in our house right now.

I really appreciate any help...
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 03:38 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

We get them bad at work. They have this apple-looking thing that's a trap. Seems to help but we still have some little buggers hanging around the building. Blech.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 04:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

The best way I've found is to wash all fruit in a vinegar and water bath immediately upon unpacking after the grocery. Eggs and nits are on the fruits from the place of origin and this helps to remove them before they hatch and multiply.

If you already have them, make traps. Mix vinegar and water (1:2 ratio), put in small bowls. Cover the bowls with saran wrap and cut a slit in it. They go in and can't get out. Cider vinegar is preferred because they smell the apple essence in it. It may take some time, but they'll start heading in there.

This is non-toxic to pets and children.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 05:14 PM  
amery

When we get them, I pour cider vinegar in a bowl with a few drops of dishsoap. No need to cover and works for me every time. My kids tease me about the joy I get from counting how many I catch.
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 06:02 PM  
mandie123

I've been having the same problem,and started keeping the bananas in the fridge because of them.I tried the vinegar in a bowl,but didn't work well for me.They were driving me crazy!
Old 09-22-16, 06:24 PM  
desie

When fruit flies are in the house, I keep that sticky fly paper near the compost. That seems to catch most of them. I don't have to look at the fly paper, the compost is under the kitchen sink in the cupboard.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 08:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
The best way I've found is to wash all fruit in a vinegar and water bath immediately upon unpacking after the grocery. Eggs and nits are on the fruits from the place of origin and this helps to remove them before they hatch and multiply.

If you already have them, make traps. Mix vinegar and water (1:2 ratio), put in small bowls. Cover the bowls with saran wrap and cut a slit in it. They go in and can't get out. Cider vinegar is preferred because they smell the apple essence in it. It may take some time, but they'll start heading in there.

This is non-toxic to pets and children.
thanks!

you know what's interesting is that in Hawaii, we have more problems with regular flies. to stop that we use these mesh food tents:

https://smile.amazon.com/6-Pack-Mr-B...=food+umbrella

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 09:13 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amery View Post
When we get them, I pour cider vinegar in a bowl with a few drops of dishsoap. No need to cover and works for me every time. My kids tease me about the joy I get from counting how many I catch.
This is what I do. Works like a charm. Fruit flies are just a part of fall where I live, due to all the fruit orchards and the late season.

Before I learned this, I once left a vegetable-draining container with a little water in the bottom (a container with holes in the bottom and a removable cover on the bottom to collect drained off water) in the sink and about a day all the fruit flies plaguing me were collected down there. Gross, but it solved my problem.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 09:23 PM  
Eibhinn

Banana peels turn black when they're put in the fridge, but as far as I can tell it doesn't affect the flavour or texture at all. Tomatoes it does, but not bananas.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 09:33 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Have you tried keeping them in paper bags on you counter? It helps.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote