Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-07, 08:50 PM  
MissElle3

Unhappy OFF TOPIC: Recall of some Hill's DRY Cat Food.

This completely stinks. I hope no one here feeds this brand to their kitties.

Hill's Prescription Diet Dry Food Recall

Don't dream it...be it.
-Dr. F
MissElle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:15 PM  
Lifeisgood

This concerns me. I have a dog who eats the Prescription diet W/D and she has been sick for the last two months with throwing up often and just general lethargy and bloat. Our vet has no idea what's going on with her and we've spent a pile of money on blood work and other tests. My other dogs all eat the regular Science Diet dry and have had no issues at all.

Ever since the first recall began, I've been waiting for them to start recalling the dry foods. Good Grief.

A Goal Without A Plan Is Just A Wish
Lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:18 PM  
MissElle3

I'm so sorry about your dog being sick! I hope she's okay.

If it's any consolation, so far at least it's only cat food that's been implicated. In any case, this whole thing is just awful.

Don't dream it...be it.
-Dr. F
Old 03-30-07, 09:39 PM  
Lorianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood
This concerns me. I have a dog who eats the Prescription diet W/D and she has been sick for the last two months with throwing up often and just general lethargy and bloat. Our vet has no idea what's going on with her and we've spent a pile of money on blood work and other tests. My other dogs all eat the regular Science Diet dry and have had no issues at all.

Ever since the first recall began, I've been waiting for them to start recalling the dry foods. Good Grief.
I feed my dog the regular Science Diet too.
I'm totally concerned about what we are feeding our poor pets!
obviously the pet food industry is not regulated enough!
I'm furious. & does this last recall mean there is more to come?!
it seems like "they" are trying to "hide" something/this from the consumers!
I feel terrible about your sick dog
& what are we to feed our pets, the list of all the different brands!? it's practically every pet food company.
I'm worried sick?! please, let us know how your dog is doing.
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 12:36 AM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry for anyone whose pets might have been affected by this. I just want to suggest the canned cat food made by Wellness - I haven't seen it on the list, and it says "grain-free" on the label, so I think wheat gluten wouldn't be a factor. It's a bit expensive but has no meat by-products, and our cats like it.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 05:34 AM  
TuffNuff

I thought it was some chemical they use to make plastic that was found to be very harmful in pet food not wheat gluten?

I have two dogs and I feed them Nutro dry dog food. I'm hoping they don't recall this one because that's the only brand my dogs like.

I hope this clears up. I mean, what kind of an idiot would put that chemical in or not paying attention to what was being put in? This really angers me.
TuffNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 05:50 AM  
Lynneye

I need to get dry cat food and I am afraid now! My cats eat mainly hairball control Meow Mix. Hope that one is ok! This is so scary and my heart goes out to anyone whose pet is affected by this!
Lynneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:00 AM  
misc.etc.1
VF Supporter

I'm getting a little worried too...

My dog eats Iams Minichunks and has for years--she's 14 this year. I'm going to look into organic dog foods and homeade recipes. I love my little one and would be devastated if anything happened to her. I too feel so bad for all the pet parents who've lost furry loved ones or those who have pets that are sick.
misc.etc.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 07:00 AM  
PhyllisG

I stopped feeding my dog kibble and canned dog food over a year ago. I cook for him a few times a week. Rice, veggies, and some form of protein along with a special mixture of oils and a multi vitamin. Its easy, its fast and he loves it. Also I am tired of dragging around large bags of kibble and opening smelly cans of food. He looks great and loves his food. Now I am working on the cats but that is a harder sell aside from chicken soup. I am tired of pet food companies telling us we can't meet their dietary needs when they put all sorts of garbage in these foods and now possible poison as well.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 07:06 AM  
MissElle3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffNuff
I thought it was some chemical they use to make plastic that was found to be very harmful in pet food not wheat gluten?

I have two dogs and I feed them Nutro dry dog food. I'm hoping they don't recall this one because that's the only brand my dogs like.
You're right, they do now suspect a chemical used in making plastics, but it was found in the wheat gluten.

Actually, from reading the article it sounds like they're still not entirely sure what's going on, and that's really infuriating. I've always fed my cats Nutro dry food, thinking it was better for them then the standard grocery store brands, but knowing that Nutro gets its raw materials from the same suppliers as those brands has certainly changed my feelings toward their products. I've switched the kitties over to a wheat-free organic brand..hopefully it's safe!

Don't dream it...be it.
-Dr. F