Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-07, 12:35 PM  
jfs
VF Supporter

Quote:
I sent an email to Wellness about their can food being taken off Waggintails site. (haven't heard anything, granted it's the weekend), but, I was thinking...they may be premature or jumping the gun & like you said, to me it's kinda wrecking someone's reputation if it's not true? or slanderess?
To reiterate, Waggintails never claimed that Wellness was on the recall list or that Wellness was tainted in any way. All they did was temporarily and voluntarily take it off their inventory until more facts are known about every product that they carry. They are not slandering anyone, nor are they wrecking anyone's reputation. All they are doing is being responsible and cautious when new information seems to be coming out daily and only in dribs and drabs. I know that everyone is confused and scared, but, if I knew that passing along the info I got from Waggintails would be so blown out of proportion, I never would have done it.
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:17 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams
None of the brands I feed my pets are currently involved in the recall, but that seems to be changing from day to day.
Exactly, and that's what's so scary. I do have a product with wheat gluten but it's not on the list. But to err on the side of safety - out it goes! I guess what's bothering me is that both my dogs have been thirstier than normal, but have absolutely no other symptoms. They're both "older" but have otherwise been pretty frisky his week. They have not eaten the food with wheat gluten exclusively, as they are spoiled and get dry food, softer food (bad teeth for one) and then the gravy stuff that has the wheat gluten as kind of a treat. We have had an inordinate amount of pollen this month (don't know what's greener, my grass or my deck) so I'm thinking the pollen has gotten them thirstier than normal. Or at least I hope that's it!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:19 PM  
Lorianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs
To reiterate, Waggintails never claimed that Wellness was on the recall list or that Wellness was tainted in any way. All they did was temporarily and voluntarily take it off their inventory until more facts are known about every product that they carry. They are not slandering anyone, nor are they wrecking anyone's reputation. All they are doing is being responsible and cautious when new information seems to be coming out daily and only in dribs and drabs. I know that everyone is confused and scared, but, if I knew that passing along the info I got from Waggintails would be so blown out of proportion, I never would have done it.
no, I'm glad you said something, becuz it's definitely a "heads up" warning to watch, wait & see. I hope you don't feel I'm one who has blown it out of proportion, I would just like to know?
they pulled it off why? should I be concerned? I mean if I wanted to buy from them, I couldn't? will it be back on their shelves?
is it not some kind of subliminal message? if I shouldn't be concerned, why did they take it off their shelves?
I do wonder why they listed those last 4? (Wellness as one)
because they said they are made by Menu Foods & they wanted their customers to know? confused, does that mean everything listed at their website does not come from Menu Foods, no, becuz California Natural is listed there?
It's out there for the public to read on their website, so you don't have to feel bad I hope, that you shouldn't have said anything.
hope my words aren't coming across wrong, just trying to find every angle on this darn pet food chaos, that's all.
now, the latest is Del Monte to be recalled? I didn't know they even made pet food?
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:57 PM  
gettingstrong

Here's what I don't get and maybe somebody can explain it to me: We are repeatedly told not to make our own pet food - that dogs and cats cannot get their nutritional needs met this way. Yet, how can wheat gluten, slaughter house scraps and garbage be better for them than some cooked chicken or beef (or whatever) with some rice , veggies and added fat and vitamins (or whatever)? I am no expert, but it seems that whatever I fix would be better than diseased meat and who knows what.

Any thoughts on this? Any links to homemade food? I tried to search some out - seemed easier for dogs than cats. My mom started feeding her poodle ground beef and then some turkey after he got sick from eating canned food years ago. He lived to be 16. I'm not sure when she started feeding him like this , but it was for years. I'm sure even premium pet food uses meat scraps rather than filets - don't they? It seems even cheaper to use high quality meats and make your own than buy special feed. I don't know - I'm really worried. I had to buy more cat food a couple days ago and I just stood there staring at all the brands. My dog food seems ok and will hold out another week or so. Marnie
gettingstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:01 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingstrong
Here's what I don't get and maybe somebody can explain it to me: We are repeatedly told not to make our own pet food - that dogs and cats cannot get their nutritional needs met this way. Yet, how can wheat gluten, slaughter house scraps and garbage be better for them than some cooked chicken or beef (or whatever) with some rice , veggies and added fat and vitamins (or whatever)? I am no expert, but it seems that whatever I fix would be better than diseased meat and who knows what.
I think the 'no table scraps' applies to things like burgers, pizza, a lot of crap that is in the SAD (Standard american diet). Also, to feeding them their regular petfood PLUS 'human food' (which can lead to weight problems). Homemade food is definitely better than a lot of store bought (highly processed) pet foods.

Dr. Pitcairn wrote a book on natural pet care, and includes some recipes for homemade food.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:23 PM  
Gardengirl

Anyone know anything about Biljac? It's sold in the freezer section of supermarkets. I used to buy it a long time ago.
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 03:45 PM  
PhyllisG

I cannot even imagine why feeding your pets the garbage that is in some commercial pet foods is better than a real meal. I am so glad I started cooking for my dog a year ago. He eats brown rice, veggies (either cooked with the rice or shredded raw such as carrots) and meat that is unadultered and meant for humans. I give him a multivitamin and a mix of oils from a book about how to cook for your pets. There are a lot of books available for cooking for your pets. It may seem daunting at first but it really is easy. I prepare a weeks worth of meals put them in individual portions in the fridge and that is it. Now I just have to figure out how to get the cats to eat homecooked. I am working on that starting today actually.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:03 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissElle3
This completely stinks. I hope no one here feeds this brand to their kitties.

Hill's Prescription Diet Dry Food Recall
AWE CRAP ! This is so freakin' ridiculous. That stuff's expensive too, about $17 or so at my vet's for a bag of Prescription Diet for my cat. CRAP CRAP CRAP !

ETA : Oh just lovely. I bought my sister some Alpo last week for her dog since I had a coupon for 3 free cans. 2 of those 3 are on the recall list. Thank goodness she hasn't come by to get these yet.
Old 04-01-07, 04:42 PM  
Lorianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit1
Wellness, Evolve and Eagle used Menu Foods? I did a google on this and found nothing. As far as I know (from online research and vet blogs) Wellness and Eagle (are you referring to Eagle Pack) are not involved with Menu Foods. I'm not sure about Evolve.
I hope this is true, especially about the Wellness (I've emailed Wellness, but have heard nothing back yet, probably becuz of the weekend).
I noticed Waggintails took off the memo that had these listed as their voluntarily taking them off the shelves & being connected to Menu Foods.
but, I see my dog's Wellness can food still not listed? just the senior & puppy?
I hope this was a mistake on their part?
I keep going to www.oldmotherhubbard.com (Wellness)for reassurance, it states on there that all their food is safe?
I'm assuming their "human grade" has got to account for something? doesn't it?
I keep reading about their history & blah, blah...my DH told me to get off the computer! LOL he's sick of my obsession with this now!?
I swear I'm gonna be bald by the end of the week!
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 05:20 PM  
Mary09

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissalaurel76
AWE CRAP ! This is so freakin' ridiculous. That stuff's expensive too, about $17 or so at my vet's for a bag of Prescription Diet for my cat. CRAP CRAP CRAP !

ETA : Oh just lovely. I bought my sister some Alpo last week for her dog since I had a coupon for 3 free cans. 2 of those 3 are on the recall list. Thank goodness she hasn't come by to get these yet.
I know it doesn't make it much better, but be sure and take any of those containers, no matter how much is used, back to the seller. They will reimburse you, receipt or none. Or at least PetSmart will. The manuf. reimburses them so they're not too concerned.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote