Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-07, 08:18 PM  
jfs
VF Supporter

Do you mean California Natural? My computer is clunky and my dial up slow, I couldn't get their message to play. Could you please let me know a little of what they had to say?
Thanks!
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:44 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Interesting...I have fed my cat Wellness canned for about 4 years. We thought he was diabetic. I had fed him Science Diet Light. I switched him to only a little dry (Purina DM) and Wellness. His health improved. However he is now hyperthyroid.
(he's 17) I have now been feeding him Pet Promise.

http://www.petpromiseinc.com/home2.htm

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:52 PM  
Gams

This may be a stupid question, but is it only "wheat gluten" specifically that I should be concerned about on pet food labels or any type of "wheat" ingredient?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 09:49 PM  
mbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams
This may be a stupid question, but is it only "wheat gluten" specifically that I should be concerned about on pet food labels or any type of "wheat" ingredient?
Right now, it appears that the contamination is based in the wheat gluten, so that's the only ingredient that we know to worry about in regards to the rat poison/plastics, etc.

In general, pet food without wheat or corn is better, as if food without meat by-products. MSNBC just had an article about this --

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17845205/
mbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 12:39 AM  
fit1

Ok, now I understand. So the Eagle brand is totally different from Eagle Pack brand. I thought that when you posted Eagle, you were just using a shortcut for Eagle Pack. I have been using Eagle Pack for a couple of years now with great results on my pets. In any case, here's the post from their website:

"All Eagle Pack dry products are made in our own plants. We do not use wheat gluten in any of our formulas, nor is it present in our plant facility/property. All ingredients at our plants originate in the U.S.A. with the exception of Duck Meal from Germany, Lamb Meal from New Zealand/Australia, and Fish Meal that originates from clean ocean waters of Argentina.

Our canned foods are NOT involved in the Menu Foods recall. All of our products are safe and we will continue to take every measure to ensure their safety. Eagle Pack products are 100% guaranteed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs
Evolve Dog and Cat canned food, with the exception of their exotic meats dog line

Eagle Dog and Cat canned food

Wellness Dog and Cat canned food"
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:24 AM  
fit1

For those who feed commercial dog food. Here's a very good website for further reading. Anything you want to know about your commercial dog food is explained here:

http://dogfoodproject.com
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 07:45 AM  
SooeyGun
VF Supporter

Quote:
Holy Cow! My cats eat Prescription Diet C/D because the male has FUS. This thing keeps getting bigger and more widespread. Now I'm worried - I know they haven't recalled this one-----YET!
My cat eats the T/D type and it does not contain Wheat Gluten. It's only the food that contains Wheat Gluten that is the worry.
SooeyGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 08:00 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

This came through one of my list-servs this a.m. Seems like a plan:

Dear Friends:

Please join us in sending a letter to the FDA asking for better solutions to make sure pet food and products are safe.

Sending a physical letter, plus a (nonreturnable) picture of your pet attached to it would be best. While emails may be simpler and faster, most politicians and advocates will tell you a physical, "snail-mail" letter is still the way to get your point across. So we're trying to collect a lot of letters.

Whether you own a dog or a cat, or any other companion animal (birds, small mammals, reptiles, fish) please let the FDA know your concerns. Click here for a letter which you can just print out and attach a picture of your pet to, and send to the New York Tails mailbox. (Or paste http://www.newyorktails.com/petfoodrecall.htm into your browser.)

Very truly yours,
Diane West
Publisher
New York Tails

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 08:07 AM  
Rachel*Jacobs

I am wondering once your pet eats the contaminated food does anyone know how long it take for your pet to start to show signs of being sick?
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 08:12 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams
And, is wheat gluten only in the gravy style/canned foods, or is it in dry foods too?

ETA: I just opened the link provided by Fit1 and that article claims that they have identified a dry dog food that is contaminated but will not give the name yet. What is up with that??? They need to let people know now!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote