Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-07, 03:39 PM  
jfs
VF Supporter

I remembered where I read the info about Wellness, Evolve and Eagle. I was sent an email from Waggintails about the recall. They did their own research to make sure that the products that they carry are not involved with Menu Foods.
Since this email was not private, but was sent to out to hundreds of their customers, I hope that I'm not violating anything by printing some of what was in the email that I found to be helpful to me in deciding what to feed my cats.

"In our research we did identify 3 brands of food that we carry at Waggin Tails that fits this category of “Meat and Gravy” style canned food and are made by Menu Foods. These foods are NOT on the recall list, however we have since suspended sales of these three lines:

Wysong Chicken or Beef Stew in Gray Dog and Cat Food

Triumph Gourmet Cuts Cat Food

Avo Select Cuts and Gravy Cat Food

We have also identified several brands of food that are produced by Menu Foods that are NOT “Meat and Gravy” style, but are traditional canned food. Again, these are NOT on the recall list, but we feel that it is critical that you are aware of what brands are made by Menu Foods so that you can make informed decisions around your pet’s safety. We have also suspended sales of these foods:

Pinnacle Dog and Cat canned food

Hi Tor Dog and Cat canned food

Evolve Dog and Cat canned food, with the exception of their exotic meats dog line

Eagle Dog and Cat canned food

Wellness Dog and Cat canned food"
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 04:19 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
From what I've read, the company knew about illnesses and deaths caused by their product for a while before they decided on a recall. (There might be some more info on Peta's site, as Peta sent out some info, and also was calling for the manufacturers to test their dry foods as well as the wet...guess it's a good thing they did).

I am concerned about this, though, because, as some of you may recall, my recently deceased cat Mandy, who had kidney problems, suddenly took a turn for the worse (after having gotten better, with a better crit score) and she was eating a different Science Diet prescription (KD).
Kathryn, I am so sorry about your Mandy. I had to make the heartwrenching choice to let my beloved cat go in June due to kidney problems that took a sudden turn for the worse. At the time, he was on Hill's Prescription Diet m/d with instructions to gradually switch him over to k/d. I had attributed his problems to complications from recurrent urinary tract infections, but now I'll always wonder if that was really the case...
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:11 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

Thanks for the alert of the Purina Alpo canned dog food. I have 3 cans of that in my cabinet - I checked the dates on the cans & thankfully they don't agree with the recall dates & can numbers. I won't be giving them to my dog though anyway!!!!

Does anyone know where you can find an up to date list of all the recall brands? I also give my dog the "Purina Fit & Trim" dry food - got to watch that don't appear on the list!

I am thinking of making my own pet food - does anyone know how? do you just cook up some meat or do you add something else to it?

Thank You!!!!
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:49 PM  
kristn02

mbt- I just checked the Nutro site, because that is what I feed my dog. It says that they don't use wheat gluten in any of their dry food, and that none of it is manufactured by menu foods. I hope that helps.
My dog got very sick recently, and ended up at the emergency vet. He got a full blood transfusion, and has been on all kinds of medicines. I was very scared that I was going to lose him. Fortunately, he is doing much better now. I can't imagine how upset I would be if it was caused by the food that he eats. My heart goes out to anyone who was affected by this.

ETA- When Cooper was sick, he wouldn't eat his regular food, so I cooked up a bunch of chicken breasts and rice, and gave that to him. The vet said that was fine, and Cooper didn't mind at all, but it was hard to get him back on regular dog food when he started getting better. You might want to keep that in mind if you don't plan on doing it permanently.
kristn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:59 PM  
Lorianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs
I remembered where I read the info about Wellness, Evolve and Eagle. I was sent an email from Waggintails about the recall. They did their own research to make sure that the products that they carry are not involved with Menu Foods.
Since this email was not private, but was sent to out to hundreds of their customers, I hope that I'm not violating anything by printing some of what was in the email that I found to be helpful to me in deciding what to feed my cats.

"In our research we did identify 3 brands of food that we carry at Waggin Tails that fits this category of “Meat and Gravy” style canned food and are made by Menu Foods. These foods are NOT on the recall list, however we have since suspended sales of these three lines:

Wysong Chicken or Beef Stew in Gray Dog and Cat Food

Triumph Gourmet Cuts Cat Food

Avo Select Cuts and Gravy Cat Food

We have also identified several brands of food that are produced by Menu Foods that are NOT “Meat and Gravy” style, but are traditional canned food. Again, these are NOT on the recall list, but we feel that it is critical that you are aware of what brands are made by Menu Foods so that you can make informed decisions around your pet’s safety. We have also suspended sales of these foods:

Pinnacle Dog and Cat canned food

Hi Tor Dog and Cat canned food

Evolve Dog and Cat canned food, with the exception of their exotic meats dog line

Eagle Dog and Cat canned food

Wellness Dog and Cat canned food"
on the Wellness website it says their food is safe? I just went out & bought all of it!? becuz of the vet's post here ughh! I'm gonna go crazy? I see at Waggintails, they sell the Wellness puppy & senior can food, but not the stuff I bought? & at the Wellness site, they claim all their food is safe????
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 07:41 PM  
jfs
VF Supporter

Waggintails did make it clear that they were voluntarily taking Wellness and some other brands off of their site even though they were not included in the recall. The information they gathered led them to the conclusion that Wellness and some other brands had used Menu Foods for some of their products. Having used Waggintails for years now, I find them to be very credible. Also, I believe, they are just being cautious.
I am not a vet, I just have a cat suffering from CRF and I've found two brands of food that I trust that have nothing to do with Menu foods. One is California Natural (made in the USA). There are no fillers, wheat gluten, soy, corn or any additives. The other is Fromm's Family foods. They are a small company that makes the food in their own plant, which is considered "human grade". The only thing, the plant is in China, but, like California Natural, there is nothing in it except meat, broth, some veggies and vitamins. There is another food called By Organic, I believe, that is made in a small plant in Vermont (I think). That's basically meat, broth, liver and vitamins.
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 07:52 PM  
LAC

I use an all-natural flea powder (non-toxic to pets & humans) that I buy from an online store called Only Natural Pet. I notice that they sell some of the organic pet foods being discussed. They also have some information up about the recalls, although they do not sell any of the tainted varieties. Here is a link if anyone is interested: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/recall.aspx
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:07 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel*Jacobs
Thanks for the alert of the Purina Alpo canned dog food. I have 3 cans of that in my cabinet - I checked the dates on the cans & thankfully they don't agree with the recall dates & can numbers. I won't be giving them to my dog though anyway!!!!

Does anyone know where you can find an up to date list of all the recall brands? I also give my dog the "Purina Fit & Trim" dry food - got to watch that don't appear on the list!

I am thinking of making my own pet food - does anyone know how? do you just cook up some meat or do you add something else to it?

Thank You!!!!
I cook for my dog. Basically I put brown rice, either cut up fresh veggies or some mixed frozen veggies and either chicken, beef chunks or lamb in one pot and cook it. If I have chicken broth I use that instead of water. I make enough for about 4 to 6 days and refrigerate or freeze it in individual servings. I add a multi vitamin mix. That's it. Sometimes I cook some chopped meat or ground turkey separately and add that. I really like the book by Dr. Martin Goldstein called Natural Healing (I think). He is a vet and gives some very good advice about cooking for your pets and telling you what is actually in the pet foods we buy. Believe me it is gross.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:12 PM  
Lorianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs
I am not a vet, I just have a cat suffering from CRF and I've found two brands of food that I trust that have nothing to do with Menu foods. One is California Natural (made in the USA).
I just came from their website, & the president is on there saying his product is made at Menu Foods too, but safe!?
this is crazy!
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 08:18 PM  
Mary09

I've done the home-made route before. Brown rice, lentils, eggs, chicken necks from a packing house, slight veg. A vet talked me out of it. I still think it's probably best for the dog.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote