Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-07, 09:29 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorianne
It seems like "they" are trying to "hide" something/this from the consumers!
From what I've read, the company knew about illnesses and deaths caused by their product for a while before they decided on a recall. (There might be some more info on Peta's site, as Peta sent out some info, and also was calling for the manufacturers to test their dry foods as well as the wet...guess it's a good thing they did).

I'm just glad I switched my cats over to Nature's Variety from www.onlynaturalpet.com (though I just discovered that the natural food store I sometimes shop at also carries it). Only Natural carries a variety of healthier foods for pets, most of which don't contain wheat , soy or corn. I think that site has more info about the food recall (they emailed me some info, since I'm a customer).

I am concerned about this, though, because, as some of you may recall, my recently deceased cat Mandy, who had kidney problems, suddenly took a turn for the worse (after having gotten better, with a better crit score) and she was eating a different Science Diet prescription (KD).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 09:31 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.etc.1
I felt the same way--I thought Iams was better than Grocery Store Brand X.

FYI: check out www.iamscruelty.com . May change your mind about wanting to give them business.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 09:32 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I can't imagine losing a pet or even having a pet sicken by the food they're eating. Our pets are like our children.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 09:52 AM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Holy Cow! My cats eat Prescription Diet C/D because the male has FUS. This thing keeps getting bigger and more widespread. Now I'm worried - I know they haven't recalled this one-----YET!
Old 03-31-07, 10:23 AM  
MissElle3

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.etc.1
I felt the same way--I thought Iams was better than Grocery Store Brand X. What brand are you using--if you don't mind me asking? Do they sell dog food?
I bought Castor & Pollux Organix food, and they do have canine formulas as well. The cats seem to like their new food, although they'd always rather have a can of tuna.

Don't dream it...be it.
-Dr. F
MissElle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 11:08 AM  
mbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
From what I've read, the company knew about illnesses and deaths caused by their product for a while before they decided on a recall. (There might be some more info on Peta's site, as Peta sent out some info, and also was calling for the manufacturers to test their dry foods as well as the wet...guess it's a good thing they did).
Yeah, I've heard this, too, and it's been really bothering me.

I'm currently a broke student with 3 cats and would love to feed them some of the better quality food but don't know if I can afford it. Buying Nutro was hard enough. It sounds like grain-free probably is the best way to go, though.
mbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 11:17 AM  
jfs
VF Supporter

Waggintails.com is a great online place to buy food. All the brands they currently offer are not on the recall list. They even took off a few products, just in case.
Sorry I don't have a link and since I've gone on so many sites looking for info, I can't recall where I read it but, Wellness, Evolve and Eagle have used Menu foods for some of their products.

Last edited by jfs; 03-31-07 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 11:32 AM  
fit1

Wellness, Evolve and Eagle used Menu Foods? I did a google on this and found nothing. As far as I know (from online research and vet blogs) Wellness and Eagle (are you referring to Eagle Pack) are not involved with Menu Foods. I'm not sure about Evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs
Sorry I don't have a link and since I've gone on so many sites looking for info, I can't recall where I read it but, Wellness, Evolve and Eagle have used Menu foods for some of their products.
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 02:45 PM  
Lorianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn

I'm just glad I switched my cats over to Nature's Variety from www.onlynaturalpet.com (though I just discovered that the natural food store I sometimes shop at also carries it). Only Natural carries a variety of healthier foods for pets, most of which don't contain wheat , soy or corn. I think that site has more info about the food recall (they emailed me some info, since I'm a customer).

I am concerned about this, though, because, as some of you may recall, my recently deceased cat Mandy, who had kidney problems, suddenly took a turn for the worse (after having gotten better, with a better crit score) and she was eating a different Science Diet prescription (KD).
thanks for posting this Kathryn.
I feel sad about Mandy. now you will always have that playing on your mind, ya know? poor thing.
this has made me loose total faith in the pet food industry. well, at least all the commercial brands.
I've gone to get some of this Wellness brand the Dr. Schroeder suggested.
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 03:15 PM  
gail92

Alpo prime cuts on recall

We went into PetsMart today to pickup some Alpo canned food for our two dogs and all the Alpo canned foods were pulled off the shelves this morning. On their web site they have listed the recall numbers and dates. The Science Diet web site says the only products they have that contain the wheat gluten is the m/d dry for cats. Let's hope so as my small dog has extreme allergies and can only eat the z/d. It just never stops, does it?
gail92 is offline   Reply With Quote