Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-05, 11:59 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Kathy, I've got this problem with more than one video and instructor. But the one I'm referring to right now is One on One Training: Butt & Legs.
Did you view the Upper Body one from this series? I can see how he would annoy a guy more than a gal. He's got that New York high society thing goin on.

Being that you're "Just Joe" gives me a clue that you aren't fond of people who don't seem genuine. So you have two choices sweetums 1) think more globally and accept his differences 2) know that he's a "crock" and chuck it out!

Lexy-Lou
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:01 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Ninety-nine percent of the time I will get rid of a workout if an instructor annoys me. However, I've made one exception - Bryan Kest's Power Yoga for Weight Loss. I like Bryan in his original series, but he's over the top in this one. He's almost yelling during a lot of the workout and he'll say ridiculous things like:

"If someone were to be looking in the window" (It's a set, Bryan; there are no real windows.)

"Look at how she's sweating. I haven't seen her sweat like in years." (Uh, could it have something to do with the hot, bright lights they use when filming??)

He also talks about the great workout he's getting, but he's not actually doing the workout - Bryan just walks around and talks like he's doing an infomercial - unless that's considered a workout.

I could go on and on. However, I really like the dynamic flow and sequencing, so I've held on to this one. I've considered muting it, but he does give good cues and instruction.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:26 PM  
Joe

I didn't buy it. I'm being tortured with it for 10 hrs today here at work. Ugh! It's amazing how our view toward video instructors changes over the years. I think the thing that drives me nuts the most about David Kirsch is that he keeps saying "distinctively David" when there's nothing distinctive about the move he's referring to.

When I was a teen, Denise Austin was at the top of my list of awesome instructors. Granted, she was one of the few video instructors at the time but I loved her and her workouts. I've got a totally different view of her now. Yeah, I still enjoy her workouts, but I'd like them a lot more if they were led by someone else.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:40 PM  
cmhazlett

I'm debating on whether to keep Strength Express and Awesome Strength because I like the exercises but Mindy's nonstop blathering drives me up a wall.

Claire
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:46 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Like a lot of things, "it depends."
I guess what it breaks down to for me is the ratio of "great" in the workout to the ratio of "annoyance" in the instructor!

I take things on a case-by-case basis.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:47 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Wow - the "Distinctly David" line is definitely the kind of thing that would drive me crazy! I'm not bothered by cheesy/chatty/silly instructors (I actually find Mindy and Tony Horton hilarious every time I hear them!), but a catch phrase like that really irrirates me.

If Mari Winsor said "Find that Winsor logo on the band" one more time in her Power Sculpt Buns & Thighs workout, I think I would have to get rid of that one!

Kathy
KathyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:49 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

"distinctly David" and his attitude were the reason I got rid of his first workout....

You cannot be good or bad at yoga. Just do what you can and you will reap the rewards.
Alan Finger
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:50 PM  
csmith
VF Supporter

I have a very high tolerance for instructors that many find annoying, but I ditched Sound Mind/Sound Body in a New York minute. I liked the workout but couldn't stand that David was so "distinctively David". Puh-leeze.
Old 01-20-05, 01:03 PM  
ooty

Oh Joe..how can you say that about Denise Austin...she really is a nice gal...
I am in the minority here in VF...I like Denise...

Cheers,
ooty
ooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 01:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Kathy, I've got this problem with more than one video and instructor. But the one I'm referring to right now is One on One Training: Butt & Legs.
joe - thanks for sharing. i really respect your opinions.

i'm concerned because i am so lusting after SMSB and worried it's like the OoOTB&L video as you described. also the new one he has coming out that everyone is waiting for....wondering if he's going to be like that.

his book (SMSB) is not so pretentious, though.

speaking of denise, she writes very good books. it motivated me in many ways. however, i could not bring myself to get one of her workouts.

and speaking of bryan - his attitude really came through in his writing. as if he invented yoga or something, or went to Mount Yoga and Saw The Light and has to teach us mere mortals! so i don't think i could ever even try one of his videos.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote