Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-19, 05:33 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Flagstaff, and the surrounding area, is breath-takingly beautiful. I know just how blessed I am to be able to spend 6 weeks every summer up there. And yes, great hiking and walking, in and out of the city.
Oops, not sure why I put "ugh" next to my happy sun in my last post.

My favorite trail was always Bear Jaw/Abineau, though my car did not like the amount of terrible dirt roads it took to get there. I did Mt Humphreys only once with my roommate at the time. The trail was way too crowded for me and I was still a smoker at the time so quite challenging to get to the top, but I made it.

Elden Lookout was usually too crowded* for me too, even during weekdays, and too much like a non-stop stair climber in some ways but I still did that one many times because it was so easy to access. Sandy Seep led to lots of fun trails/routes (that was the one I probably did most often, partly due to ease of access).

I never quite conquered Pumpkin Trail even though it was one of my favorites. And one time (I think on Brookbank Trail) in August after some steady hiking up, at one point it opened into the most unexpected and beautiful, flat, open field of yellow flowers. Photos are nothing like being there in person though...so quiet except for the wind, no other people, often no cell reception, fun times. (In case you couldn't tell, I miss it greatly.)

There was also a lot of great boulder climbing in Buffalo Park.

Glad you get to spend that time there every year!

*I tended to like the trails with no people on them. That was back in 2009-2011; not sure how crowded the trails are these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110817_Brookbank_009 - Copy.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	4656  
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 06:32 PM  
Sollamyn

Cool Uh, no.

When I go on vacation, I'm usually out sightseeing, so I end up walking a lot. I'll end the day (or start it) by stretching out on my own. If I don't walk a lot, though, it's no big deal. I'm on vacation, after all.

Donna
Old 09-11-19, 06:48 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I’m on travel now! Not vacation but I take my exercise videos and portable DVD player with me on all my travel.

My go to travel workouts include (vary depending on the trip)

Tonique just use no weights
Barlates/Pure Barre, etc (barre)
Michelle Dozois On the Go love this one
Sleek Technique “boot camp” dvd from the 3-dvd set
Pilates usually a 10MS
Dream Body just use band or no weights (or improvise)
Buti

I don’t expect full exertion out of my travel workouts since travel itself can be tiring, but I do like to stay in my routine. I pack my sneakers and a band if needed, and usually just exercise in my hotel room! If I’m somewhere scenic and safe I’ll also run outdoors.
Old 09-11-19, 07:04 PM  
laurajhawk

If I'm driving, I take a yoga mat. If flying, I consider the situation and often bring a travel mat. I don't generally take anything else (unless you count sneakers), although I remember taking a DVD (RaviAna Quick Fixes) with me on one vacation, and using it while DH was sleeping in.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have taken a couple of bands with me, but haven't ended up using them yet. I try to at least walk as much as I can when I travel.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 07:24 AM  
SpiritYogi

I very rarely travel but when I do, I take my portable DVD player, a couple yoga DVD's and my yoga mat. I need my daily yoga!
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 07:49 AM  
buffmama

My yoga mat usually comes. I have been known to put a kettlebell in the car. I have not however been known to use on vacation.
Old 09-12-19, 07:54 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I don't bring workouts, but I sometimes bring a band. Vacations are usually very active and busy though so I don't feel like I need to do a formal workout most of the time. When I go on business trips, I do bring a band or try to use the hotel gym because I do a lot of sitting in meetings.
Old 09-12-19, 08:39 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Photos are nothing like being there in person though...so quiet except for the wind, no other people, often no cell reception, fun times. (In case you couldn't tell, I miss it greatly.)

There was also a lot of great boulder climbing in Buffalo Park.

Glad you get to spend that time there every year!

*I tended to like the trails with no people on them. That was back in 2009-2011; not sure how crowded the trails are these days.
The summers are very crowded in the Flagstaff area, but you have given me some ideas for how I might spend my Saturdays next summer.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 09:00 AM  
owltx

I have a bunch of videos that are equipment-free downloaded on my iPad, and I take these on all travel, vacation or no. Vacations tend to be pretty active, so usually I am not in my regular workout routine but want access to yoga, stretch and walking workouts. But all work travel and non-vacation travel I definitely pack my loop and sometimes my discs and make sure my iPad is with me.

Tags
travel workouts, vacation