Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-19, 04:22 PM  
donnamp

While I think we definitely do have to advocate for our health and many times listening to our gut instinct about something is the best medicine - normal is usually a range - and as long as your results are in the normal range, I'd say you probably don't have anything to worry about.

if there is something in particular that concerns you, you can bring it up - but
"normal" is generally a range - and if you fall within it, you are probably fine.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 07:34 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I do the same thing when my numbers come in. I used to research what all the codes mean, but now that I'm familiar I just scan down it every month. I have discussed them with my doctor and understand that some of the "high end of normal" or slightly elevated results are just a part of my body's manner of working.

One visit my SED rate had skyrocketed. He calmed me down and said that sometimes you can even get a false/positive or just a plain old fashioned lab error.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 10:31 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
It just occurred to me that I recall seeing my grandmother's written test results from back in the 1980s and her cholesterol was 276 and apparently that wasn't considered an issue. So it appears that what is considered "normal" definitely can change over time.
The "normal" range for the total cholesterol range has lowered over the years. One can argue that it is due to Big Pharma wanting to peddle more meds. (As some believe that "osteopenia" is a made-up disease that leads to more DEXA scans and even more medications.)

There is still controversy about the levels of TSH (thyroid hormone) in the blood. I've had doctors give me their ideas of the best number and it ranges from 1.2 to 7!!!

More recent research has shown that total cholesterol is not the sole predictor of heart disease as was thought before. One has to include all the numbers for LDL (Lousy), HDL (Happy), triglycerides and CRP (inflammation).

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 07:19 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

There is still controversy about the levels of TSH (thyroid hormone) in the blood. I've had doctors give me their ideas of the best number and it ranges from 1.2 to 7!!!
Recent findings suggest for optimal health in thyroid patients levels a narrower range of TSH levels between 0.3 and 2.5. I know that if my TSH is higher than 2.5 I'm not feeling well.

This article is from 2010....there's more recent but from medical journals. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19941233

I get my thyroid lab results via an online message system from my clinic, and often times my doctor will email "normal" and I will respond that I'd like to adjust meds.

Sometimes the normal range is so incredibly wide. Personally, I like to consult with an integrative or naturalpathic doctor when finances permit. I don't always trust doctors, and we absolutely need to be our own health advocates.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 07:36 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'd relax and be grateful for "normal range" if I were you.

Now, if you *know* that certain numbers had shifted considerably since your last physical (and considering your last was a few years ago) that might be worth pursuing through conversation with your doctor. But I wouldn't worry about it.
I think this is a good way to look at it!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 07:46 AM  
DCW

Being your own health advocate is best. I have switched docs to find one who works with me.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 09:32 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've had several long-time (20+ years) physicians retire in the last few years. Also, my dentist, who I'd been seeing for over 30 years!

I have been auditioning new doctors and the quality of some of the ones I've been seeing is poor to middling.

It is a dilemma!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 12:20 PM  
jusca

It's ok to be curious about the results. sometimes out of range isn't bad. Some of the labs results are based on averages. Each indivudual may be higher or lower and that doesn't necessarily mean it's good or bad. You gotta take in account medical history, symptoms, etc. It's fine to relax yet be informed!

Please research your labs and what it means as best as possible. Make mention of anything out of the ordinary at your appointment. Some doctors can get tunnel vision and focus on one particular result being normal and disregard the rest. I've had that happen and because I researched beforehand what should be checked and what should be some reasonable treatment steps, I've asked about what checking for something else that can be critically overlooked. I hate having to study the depth of medicine and treatment. It makes appointment s stressful cause sometimes the patient doesn't know what she/he doesn't know to make the best decisions with the doctor's recommendation without deep research and talking with others.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 05:36 PM  
Gams

If you research a lot online, don’t get hung up on everything you read - not everything online is accurate.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 06:51 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

ANother thing to be aware of when you look at reference ranges is that they are lab-specific. One lab might say their normal reference range for TSH is, say 0.2 to 5.1, while another lab will say 0.5 to 3.9.

The reason for this is that different labs use different reagents for their testing (just different brand names, like how Advil and Motrin are both ibuprofen. One company might make the reagents for a test system and another company might make reagents for the same test system and they are slightly different.) There are also different brands of the equipment that does the testing.

So if your TSH is 0.4, and you look around the internet, you might say to yourself "so is this is the normal range or not?" The answer is found in the normal ranges GIVEN BY THE LAB THAT DID YOUR SPECIFIC TEST.

Obviously, this only comes into play on the borderline highs and lows. The averages in the middle aren't affected by getting that specific.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctors, health, medical tests, prevention