Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-16, 02:06 PM  
DonnaMarie

Moody Bitches

I hope this is not offensive to the moderators but I am just finishing this book by Dr. Julie Hammond, M.D. It is informative as it covers PMS, Perimenopausal , Menopausal and post menopausal issues. Dr. Hammond discusses the meds, why we feel the way we do in all phases of this wonderful journey we call "being women". The issues are handled with information and humor. At my age, I finally understand why I used to cry when the mail was late.
Old 09-11-16, 03:17 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Need Used Book Sale Recommendations!

Hi all--I am going to a used book sale on Tuesday (not the huge one we go to in Ithaca NY--that's next month!). It's a good-sized library sale, and the nice thing is that all of the paperbacks and hardcovers are just $1! However, nothing is alphabetized, just roughly grouped by category.

I would like to pick up a few new novels. The easiest things to find would probably be books that were popular 3-5 years ago, as the sale often winds up with multiple copies of these. Any recommendations? I don't usually read series (I hate having to keep up!) or YA. I like popular fiction, British/Irish fiction, some chick lit (although now that I'm in my late 40s with no kids, I feel like I'm aging out of that genre--maybe "hen lit"?), some thrillers (e.g., I love Stephen King, Jonathan Kellerman--but not really into spy stuff), etc.

Hope that gives you some idea! I'm actually not very picky.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 12:52 PM  
shelleyann

Oooh! Have fun Beth at the used book sale. I love thrillers. Have you read Tana French or Stieg Larson? Herman Koch or Camilla Lackburg? I also love Robert Gailbraith.

I'm finishing up We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart...very weird! I'm also 2/3 done with Delirium by Lauren Oliver.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 12:56 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Shelley, thanks for the response! I don't think I've read any of those authors...I know that that Stieg Larson did The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series (and, as I said, I'm kind of reluctant to get into series--I think I got burned out on Outlander!), but I don't think I know any of the others. Do you have favorite books from them?

I did make a note to look for other books from Kate Morton; I loved The House at Riverton.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-12-16, 01:03 PM  
shelleyann

I love Kate Morton! Secret Keeper is one of my favorites!

Cuckoo's Calling is the first on Robert Gailbraith's series (aka J.K. Rowling).
He Will Be My Ruin by K.A. Tucker is REALLY good, in my opinion.
In The Woods, is the first Tana French book, I believe.
I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh is awesome!!
What She Knew by Gilly MacMillan is super good. She has a new one also.
Good As Gone by Amy Gentry, but that's new.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 01:55 PM  
Judy W.

It's probably just me! I see that The Light Between Oceans has excellent reviews, the synopsis sounded interesting and I thought I would enjoy it. But the plot is convoluted and pretty improbable. The characters are maddeningly thick. I jumped ahead to see if there was anything worth sticking around for, and I couldn't find it. I "abandoned ship", but fortunately not anywhere near that lighthouse.

Because so many enjoyed it that they even made a movie out of it, I'm figuring I'm the one who has "missed the boat". (sorry for the bad puns...)

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 02:13 PM  
muggle

I'm not sure how old these books are as they might be too recent for a sale but...."The vacationers" cute and quick, "In a dark, dark wood" psychological suspense, "Finding Bernadette" a mother trying to figure out what happened to her daughter. "Big little lies" Lianne Moriarty. Lianne also wrote "The husbands secret", "What Alice forgot", they were good. I'm sure there are more swimming around my head.....just can't think straight right now. I also like stuff from David Baldacci, John Kellerman, too many to pick from.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 02:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

In A Dark Dark Wood was entertaining but nothing mind blowing. I found Finding Bernadette to be slow and not all that great. I was surprised to see it on some best seller shelf at the bookstore this weekend.

Wanted to thank someone here for mentioning Breakfast with Buddha. I don't remember who, but I remember I heard about it here. I just finished it and really enjoyed it.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 02:54 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Hmm, the books I rated highly, didn't have high Goodreads ratings.

You probably read these but I liked them both:
NOS4A2 - Joe Hill
Joyland by Stephen Kind

Others
The Goldfinch- Donna Tartt
The Circle - Dave Eggers (underrated- the plot and commentary- excellent, execution, not so much.
Life After Life- Kate Atkinson
The Leftovers- Tom Perrotta
Tell the Wolves I'm Home- Rifka
Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Joyce
Head in Beds - Tomsky
End of Your Life Bookclub- Schwalbe
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 02:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Lynn, I did read & love Joyland, but I hand't really thought to try one of Joe Hill's books (we did see the movie Horns and liked it though). Good idea!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading