Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-13, 01:38 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I absolutely love where I live. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains between San Jose and Santa Cruz, CA. The weather is fantastic most of the time -- there's usually maybe a week or so in the summer when it gets pretty unbearably hot (meaning over 100, but not much over -- I'm a heat wimp). Winters are mostly fog and a fair bit of rain, though we haven't had much this year. It does get cold at night, but it's a pretty mild winter. Our biggest problem is fire danger -- that is a scary reality. Ok, that's a general picture. So, where I live is somewhat in the redwoods, but we are about a half hour away from silicon valley. Cost of living is high, but there are good possibilities of employment. My local community really is a community -- we have a good network and when someone needs help, they give a shout out and the help is there. The schools are good. Oh, outdoor activities. Right out my front door I can hike or mountain bike. Nearby is the beach, and a four hour drive gets you skiing.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 01:41 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I have done major moves several times blindly, meaning without having visited a place first. That being said, I'd like to mention two things: I work from home and therefore take my work with me, and I really, really like this site:

http://www.findyourspot.com/

There's a quiz to sort of help you hone in on places that fit what you're looking for. It's a starting point and then you can research on your own.

Good luck to you!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 01:47 PM  
TreeLuvr87

I live in the Tidewater region of Virginia - about an hour from the Richmond area, about an hour from the Hampton Roads region. I absolutely love living here. The seasons are very distinct, and I don't feel like it gets too hot in the summertime. I love that within just a couple hour's drive from our home there is the beautiful Chesapeake Bay/Atlantic Ocean coastline, the blue ridge mountains, and lots of fun things to do both in the bigger cities and in the rural areas. There's a huge wine industry that's really starting to thrive in VA.

Frommer's named Richmond as one of the places to visit in 2014, mainly because of the Civil War sites and anniversaries coming up - but it's really growing into a trendy little urban area :-) We are enjoying living in the country and commuting for now, but plan to move closer to Richmond when the time comes for us to find a permanent home.
TreeLuvr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 01:58 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I have done major moves several times blindly, meaning without having visited a place first. That being said, I'd like to mention two things: I work from home and therefore take my work with me, and I really, really like this site:

http://www.findyourspot.com/

There's a quiz to sort of help you hone in on places that fit what you're looking for. It's a starting point and then you can research on your own.

Good luck to you!!
I did the Find Your Spot quiz and then, in order to get the results, they wanted all my personal info. Of course, I usually make up that info, but I thought folks ought to know.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 02:01 PM  
desie

I did a lot of traveling with my family when I lived with them, and then a few years on my own. I have to say, there are beautiful places, but if I can't move my loved ones with me, then they are empty and I feel detached. Something else, it is good to explore if you are a city person or a country person. Instead of wondering what it would be like, give it a try.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 02:34 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I did the Find Your Spot quiz and then, in order to get the results, they wanted all my personal info. Of course, I usually make up that info, but I thought folks ought to know.
Alta is right, sorry! I forgot about this, but I have a fake profile as well with them, and a junk e-mail address that I use. But I do enjoy the info on their site, so to me it's worth it
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 02:36 PM  
Cassy

I live in San Diego and really love it. I moved here in 2000 from Chicago where I was born. I really don't see myself moving ever except to Malibu if I won the lottery . Or DH would like to live in Hawaii but I don't see that happening either. San Diego does have just perfect weather. I mean today it's like 70 without a cloud in the sky. I kind of forget it's winter for other people. I don't think I could ever deal with weather again. San Diego does turn you into a weather baby.

It is expensive but I don't think much more expensive than any big city like Chicago. We are 2 hour drive to LA. Beaches all up and down the coast. You can get to the mountains in 2 hours ago. Or you can drive to the desert in 2 hours.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 02:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love where I live too, I am on Vancouver Island in Canada. Our house is a block from the ocean, semi-rural with lots of walking trails through the woods and along the water near by. We also have a small condo near downtown Victoria, we park our car and walk everywhere. I love walking in the city - the little shops, restaurants, cafes, and the beauty of the harbor with all the boats and the seawall. It's the best of both worlds! We are also close to lots of lakes and so many beautiful areas to hike and cycle.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 02:57 PM  
DonnaMarie

Perfect Places

I have had the pleasure of living in San Diego where my son was born. Expensive yes... beautiful and darned near perfect , yes....

My daughter lives in a place called Lake Country, B.C. They get some snow but are considered the banana belt of B.C. The scenery and geography are beautiful.

I live in N. Cal and consider it a lovely place to call home. The weather is very moderate. The joggers and bikers call it paradise.
Old 12-23-13, 02:59 PM  
Pam

I also love where I live! I just moved to the mountains in Colorado about 6 years ago, previously lived in Boulder. There are rural areas and subdivisions, but overall a great small community where people are very friendly and helpful, but lots of Christmas parties and food

Hiking, road and mtn biking in the summer & fall; downhill, cross country and telemark skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing winter and into the spring. The hiking, etc is endless just out from my front door and the ski area is about 10 miles away.

Maximum temperature in the summer is in the low 80s, 20-40s generally in the winter. Some jobs up here (I am self-employed & mostly work from my home office, so works for me), but a lot of people do work in Boulder or Denver.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, moving, relocating, relocation