Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-13, 12:31 PM  
Diana3271

Question Another yoga question

I have been working my way through the premixes on Barbara Benagh's Yoga For Stress Relief. I have been enjoying some of the shorter premixes since I can add them on during the week, before bed. I do not have much time, so this has worked out very well for me.

My Dr. told me to add in some yoga to help with my stress levels. My question is this. I have been looking at various PM yoga DVD's. Is there a difference in the routines that are marked PM vs. Stress Relief? Meaning is a "Stress Relief" yoga routine best for relieving stress? I have no clue about this so any info would be helpful, LOL.

I doubt that I should do a "Power Yoga" or an AM yoga at night. I'm just curious if PM Yoga would reduce your stress as well as a Stress Relief yoga DVD, LOL.

ETA: Ha Ha I probably need to quit stressing over the yoga workouts!

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 12:58 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I think de-stressing and PM pretty much fit the same bill. Even though it's labelled "AM Yoga for Your Week," this DVD by Rodney Yee is actually quite nice for evening add-ons. Most of the practices are 20 minutes or under, I think the longest is 24 minutes? It's a delicious little offering.

I also like Suzanne Deason's AM/PM Yoga for Weight Loss. That has three 20 minute practices. The PM practice, IIRC, targets relieving shoulder tension, and the AM practice uses blocks to help you stretch in the morning. They're all interchangeable though.

Another one I like is Ashley Turner's Yoga for Stress Relief and Flexibility. That has two 30 minute practices.

In a nutshell, a PM yoga should reduce stress since they're geared toward relaxing the body for bed.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 01:12 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I think de-stressing and PM pretty much fit the same bill. Even though it's labelled "AM Yoga for Your Week," this DVD by Rodney Yee is actually quite nice for evening add-ons. Most of the practices are 20 minutes or under, I think the longest is 24 minutes? It's a delicious little offering.

I also like Suzanne Deason's AM/PM Yoga for Weight Loss. That has three 20 minute practices. The PM practice, IIRC, targets relieving shoulder tension, and the AM practice uses blocks to help you stretch in the morning. They're all interchangeable though.

Another one I like is Ashley Turner's Yoga for Stress Relief and Flexibility. That has two 30 minute practices.

In a nutshell, a PM yoga should reduce stress since they're geared toward relaxing the body for bed.
This is helpful. Thank you. Like a true vidiot I am wanting to add a few more yoga workouts to my very small collection.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-13-13, 01:40 PM  
laurajhawk

I agree with Pat.

In addition, there are certain poses that are inherently relaxing -- particularly forward bends -- and others that are energizing, especially backbends. It's generally a bad idea to do backbends before bed; it can make it hard to sleep. However, lots of VFers (myself included) like the forward bend and hip opening segments of "AM Yoga for Your Week" in the evening.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 08:54 PM  
Diana3271

Laura Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-13-13, 09:51 PM  
lotusgirl

Diana - I wanted to mention this free site since you said you have a small collection: http://www.doyogawithme.com/

I haven't used it, but I know someone who has. She says she prefers it over the live classes she can take for free.
Old 06-14-13, 05:53 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusgirl View Post
Diana - I wanted to mention this free site since you said you have a small collection: http://www.doyogawithme.com/

I haven't used it, but I know someone who has. She says she prefers it over the live classes she can take for free.
Thank you! I also see they have some short routines that can be done at work!

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-14-13, 06:17 AM  
Diana3271

Is this the correct Rodney Yee mentioned above? http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...your-week-5567

Does anyone like this one? http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...d-pm-yoga-7074

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 06-14-13, 07:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yes, that is the Yee AM Yoga for Your Week I was referencing. And the second one is an oldie but goodie. I'm on a Kundalini kick now, but there are many, MANY mornings I rolled out of bed in pain and popped in the older AM Yoga. Rodney slowly and gently works through the body and gets out all those sleepy kinks, and loosens the spine and hips.

The PM routine with Patricia Walden is delivered at a leisurely pace and it has beautiful, calming music. I don't use this one as much as I should - perhaps I'll get it out after work tonight.

(I like the original AM/PM so much that I had it on VHS and it was one of the first DVDs I purchased when we converted.)
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:33 AM  
laurajhawk

I could say the same as Pat about those two DVDs, including "oh hey, I should get that one out!" LOL.

It's a little weird to have the AM/PM one priced higher than AM For Your Week. The latter has much more material, 5 programs of comparable length/usefulness to the 2 programs on the AM/PM disc.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote