Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-12, 09:17 AM  
rheash92

Starting from scratch - what to do?

Ok I am asking this for my sister. She just had a baby and she has been cleared to start working out again. She did not work out much during pregnancy but she was an advanced exerciser before that (although it has been almost 2 years). She was doing Cathe, Insanity etc..She wants to be fit/ripped in a year. But does not know where to start? I told her to give about 3 months to build her base again (like Gilad, 10lb slimdown etc)..then move on to STS..and meanwhile also work on flexibility. So she was thinking of something like this concentrating on each factor for about 2 months or so.
1. Flexibility
2. Fat Loss and Endurance
3. Hypertrophy
4. Strenght and power
5. Speed and agility
6. Balance

What workouts would fit in each of these categories? What are your thoughts? Thanks a lot!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 02:24 PM  
runnermom

This is just a thought, but I would really recommend to your sister to focus on strengthening her core- glutes,lower abs, hips- as these areas get such a beating during pregnancy and even during the initial post-partum period. I know I had problems with my back & hips that have been helped so much by just adding in a few exercises for each of these areas (my 4th child is 2 yo). Everyone's body mechanics are different but I don't think it would hurt anyone who just had a baby to focus on these areas as a kind of rehab focus.
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 02:41 PM  
mspina

I can recount what I did personally - I started by doing a LOT of power walking with the kids in a jogging stroller (best kid investment item EVER, after the high powered breast pump!). This way, I was starting to get in a solid workout, without stressing about making time when the baby was asleep or otherwise cared for - the babies LOVED it and we really had a lot of fun, all of us (got a double stroller when the 2nd came along). Then I started running with it. Running with a stroller is not my favorite way to run, but it got the job done.

Then I just started back with my tried and true videos. I didn't ease back into my routine with beginner stuff - I would just do my best with my usual vids, starting with lighter weights if need be, or taking longer breaks. Worked really well for me.

If she's looking for something new, I would suggest circuit workouts (Cathe's got a few - like Low Impact Circuit, one of my faves), or AWT styled (ala The Firm) - get in both cardio and strength in the same workout. I also found those great to get off the last bit of weight that nursing didn't immediately take care of.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
post natal workouts, post pregnancy, postnatal, postpartum