Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-12, 04:55 PM  
MelissaR

I was hoping for DVD's too I really liked the first Skogg System & was hoping for something similar in the new system. I have no desire to workout from my laptop nor do I want to learn or invest in equipment to stream the workouts to my TV. Give me a simple DVD to pop in. Boo hoo! I decided not to order Cathe's xTrain with hopes of getting the new Skogg. Now maybe I'll talk myself into xTrain.
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 06:54 PM  
ktlc
VF Supporter

I think we're going to see more streamed workouts, a lot more. I work in the software industry. More and more people want their information or entertainment in "the cloud". They want to be able to access it wherever, whenever and however they choose. Many of us were around when dvds replaced vhs. That wasn't that long ago..maybe 10-12 years. This is the next generation. I'm not suggesting that streamed workouts will replace dvds, just that we're going to see more of it.

I don't have a problem with the price. I'd pay at least that per month if I joined a gym to go to classes. $180 for a 6 month subscription is like buying 9 workouts over the same time period, or a BeachBody system and a couple of workouts. That might be 15-20 workouts. With Skogg Virtual I'd have access to 100+ workouts. I could do a different workout everyday for 3 months or more and never repeat a workout (if I worked out 7 days a week, but I don't).

My problem is the videos don't work for me. I can't even get the intro video on the first page to run for more than a couple of seconds at a time. I went to youtube, searched for Skogg, found the exact same clip and it ran fine so it's not my internet connection. It may be that I don't have enough bandwidth, but everything else I have runs fine. I really like the idea of this, but I want to know it works before I spend any money on it. Right now it doesn't seem to, at least for me.

"The body achieves what the mind believes" - Unknown
ktlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 07:03 PM  
s2546

love skogg- hate this idea- i have joined gyms and never went which is why i am here doing DVDs.

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 07:09 PM  
s2546

oh and yes- $30 per month is way too expensive at least for me- that is why i love DVDs - you may pay $90 but you have whenever you want. however, i know that many like this idea so for them it is exciting and i hope it works out. i do love the skogg system

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 08:25 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
ya.... i got the email and saw that, too..... 30 bucks a month????????????? YIKES!
I won't pay $30 a month. $9.95 a month yes but not $30.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 10:07 PM  
RedPanda

Call me a Luddite...

... but I'm out too.

I can see the appeal of streaming workouts, but they're not for me. I don't have a computer in my workout room, so I'd have to ask Mr RedPanda to burn the DVDs for me, and $299 is a lot to pay for DVD-Rs I can't trade or sell later if I want to.

Plus, I'm leery of storing stuff in the cloud. What if the ISP goes out of business? What if the cloud is having a bad day? I like physical objects I can hold in my hot little hands.

Ah well...

Maybe Mr Skogg will later release "The Best of Skogg Round 2" on DVD for his older fans.
Old 08-01-12, 10:38 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlc View Post

$180 for a 6 month subscription is like buying 9 workouts over the same time period, or a BeachBody system and a couple of workouts. That might be 15-20 workouts. With Skogg Virtual I'd have access to 100+ workouts. I could do a different workout everyday for 3 months or more and never repeat a workout (if I worked out 7 days a week, but I don't
but when i buy beachbody, or cathe, or kelly, or any other dvd i have them forever and can use them now or a year from now or even 3 or three years from now.... if i spend $90 for skogg streaming and no longer want to pay, i also no longer have access to the workouts.... that's WAY too much money for me.... i buy dvd's because i have no desire to go to a gym....
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 11:27 PM  
ktlc
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
but when i buy beachbody, or cathe, or kelly, or any other dvd i have them forever and can use them now or a year from now or even 3 or three years from now.... if i spend $90 for skogg streaming and no longer want to pay, i also no longer have access to the workouts.... that's WAY too much money for me.... i buy dvd's because i have no desire to go to a gym....
I have no desire to go to a gym either, but that's what I'd have to do have access to this many different workouts on a monthly basis. Plus, I'm willing to pay for the convenience of accessing my workouts from a tv, computer, phone or tablet. I can't think of one workout I bought 3 years ago that I still use, but that's just me. Virtual Skogg just gives us another option. One that is good for me, but I completely respect is not right for everyone.

"The body achieves what the mind believes" - Unknown
ktlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 06:58 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlc View Post
I can't think of one workout I bought 3 years ago that I still use, but that's just me.
oh gosh... not me! i use some several of my older ones a lot! (granted some i don't.... but i do use several of my older ones, especially those only 3 years old)
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 07:46 AM  
kat_b

The clip played fine in my office where we have T1 lines, and I may try one month in the future, but there is no way I'd stick it out month after month.
  • I have a number of other workouts (I'm not going to go Skogg only)
  • it would be hard to justify that cost, and,
  • like others, I prefer physical DVDs

Until the majority of rural and semi-rural areas gets decent connection speed, going streaming exclusively is a bad idea. I'm reminded of this every time I have to dog sit. My parents are only 10 miles outside of Lynchburg, but can only get satellite internet (no cell service, even). My boyfriend is 2 miles from the cable line, but they won't run it down his street, so he uses mifi. It sucks so bad I go back to town to surf.

In my instance, I'm on the road mid-week, and while my city place has equipment for working out, it does NOT have internet access (I'm not paying $60 for ~16 hours a month), so I'd have to stream using my phone. Bah. I could probably figure out a way to save the feed for off line use, but that is likely not what they want.

Thankfully I just bought DeltaFit, so I'm going to be safe from this temptation for a while (yet trolling the boards looking for info).

ETA: Cali, like you I still use older workouts. Just pulled out CTX again (Cathe's best IMHO), and [gasp] I think my copy of p90x is about ten years old now...
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skogg, skogg 2, skogg kettlebell system, skogg system