Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-19, 12:25 PM  
daisyduke

What has your experience been with lifting heavy weights?

Do you get smaller and tone up?

Do you bulk?

Get hurt and sick?

Thank you in advance
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 01:03 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Personally, I gain weight doing heavy weights. I've done two experiments and gained weight both times. I gained muscle and fat together.

A personal trainer I was in a class with at time time of my first round of experimentation said "well of course!" when I complained about gaining weight lifting heavy weights. Apparently she thought that was just normal. She said "that's why bodybuilders have build and cut phases."

I keep hearing that lifting heavy weights will make you smaller. . . doesn't happen that way for me. I wish it did. I wouldn't mind being heavier if I was smaller. . .
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 01:26 PM  
wlorrie

---Heavy lifting for me would be matching Chalean in CLX or Cathe in Slow and Heavy. I've never done the really heavy gym weights.

I tighten up and lose a few inches. My weight says about the some unless I diet. I have not gotten sick or injured, but sometimes I have to take it easy on my shoulders. I never got the "cut" look...I just look firmer.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 01:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

certain parts of my body get cut, like shoulders, lats, arms and thighs.

unfortunately, my abs are just flab no matter what I do.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 02:15 PM  
upperwside

I've never had an injury lifting heavy. I do gain muscle and get cut.. But I look too muscular if I keep lifting heavy .. I look my best while lifting heavy.. Then doing high rep lower weight workouts. It's a cycle thing. Lately I'm mostly doing Hamelin, Lekfit and a Cathe live once a week.. And I'm not living heavy and am happy with my shape and muscle tone. I'm 46,so think it's an age thing.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 02:25 PM  
daisyduke

Upperwside- I think that’s what I need to do... cycle in heavy and light. How do you like lekfit?
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 02:26 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Four years ago, I did four months of heavy weight training (with a good nutrition program) with a trainer. I got noticeably leaner AND gained a lot of weight, which of course freaked me out because I was already overweight. It couldn't have been "all muscle" because I put on at least 8 pounds. As Susan said, I wouldn't mind being heavier if I were smaller.

I didn't get injured (in fact, I rarely got sore), but I would often wake up in the middle of the night absolutely famished. I really miss the heavy weights and feeling super-strong, like I could take on the world.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 03:12 PM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Upperwside- I think that’s what I need to do... cycle in heavy and light. How do you like lekfit?
I LOVE it!! Every week she puts up a hour long each bounce and sculpt workout. I love the intensity on the rebounder. The music is amazing.. And I have fun each and every workout.. While being challenged. She has a free 7 day trial. All the workouts are archived and there are a lot of them. The bounce is a mix of cardio and sculpting.. She has a modifier doing the cardio on the floor of you don't have a rebounder.. And the sculpt is full body sculpting. My bum is firm and lifted. You need 3, 5 and 10 pound hand weights, a rebounder, band, and ankle weights.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 04:00 PM  
bubbles76

I lift heavy for ME, which is maximum 30 pound dumbbells. I don't have a barbell yet I think those would be considered light or moderate weights for heavy lifters. I get stronger and tighter, but not bigger. I wish. I do not bulk or get hurt or sick. I guess I get smaller, because the harder I work out, the less I eat. The only way I "cut" is with body weight or light weight, high reps.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 08:46 PM  
Julia

In my personal experience I was very, very skinny in my 20s and I lifted heavy and it really made me look great without any bulk. I lifted heavy and had a trainer while lifting heavy I looked amazing and felt good.

Now at 44 if I lift heavy I get huge in size, doesn’t matter what I eat. Right now I’m in a debulking phase using my fitness loop/resistance bands for upper and back to Callanetics. I always go back to trying the heavy lift but always end up regretting it and each time the debulk phase lasts longer than the time before. At 5’2 (3/4) quarterback shoulders and thunder thighs are just not a good look, however I always lift moderate for my butt and lower body or my buns turn into pancakes.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weight training, heavy weights