Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-19, 09:06 PM  
sherry7899

Gorilla mats on carpeting

Has anyone used Gorilla cardio mats on top of carpeting? They claim they do not slide, but I would trust opinions from people here more than Amazon reviews.

Thanks!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:08 PM  
sherry7899

Bumping! Has anyone used these? Thank you!

Old 01-23-19, 08:55 AM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Had not heard of them so went looking. The reviews on Amazon are great and someone specifically mentioned that they do not slide on carpet. I have puzzle mats right now...but when I replace....
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 08:59 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks for replying! I hated puzzle mats. They slid and started coming apart after awhile. I want to maybe get a Gorilla mat and leave it out in the spare bedroom where I just moved my weights. I am going to test out cardio in there and see if there is enough room. I don't want to use the mat anywhere my cats can get into because I am afraid their claws will ruin the mat. It would be nice to use it in the family room, but it would not work because of our cats.

The flooring in the spare bedroom is thick carpeting with a thick area rug over it to protect the carpeting from my recumbent bike and treadmill. It is not a good surface for cardio, even with the Zumba type socks over my sneakers.

If cardio works in that room, I am going to save up Amazon Visa reward points to use towards the mat. I will report back if I do get one.

Sherry

PS-one of my favorite bands called Over The Rhine is from your area

Old 01-24-19, 09:25 AM  
sherry7899

I wrote the company to ask them if the mats move on carpeting. They claim they do not, but said you can use carpet anchors to hold them in place.

I wrote back to ask if using an aerobic step bench (for weight work, not step aerobics) would leave a permanent indentation. I'll report back if they have an answer for that.

I do miss the flooring in our finished basement, which is Berber carpeting. It is so much more knee friendly for cardio than the thick carpeting we have everywhere else.

Sherry

Old 01-24-19, 09:47 AM  
adrien_73

I did not realize I needed one of these until you posted about it!

I have a large area rug that is more "industrial"....aka "no pile" on top of more traditional carpeting with a "medium pile". This had worked for me for like a decade, but now the area rug slides when doing cardio. If the Gorilla mat can hold up to an aerobic step, this may be a good option for me.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-19, 09:52 AM  
sherry7899

They wrote back already about putting a step on it:

As long as there are no sharp edges, you can put the step on top of the mat, you can even put your gym equipment on top of it, keep in mind, if the equipment is heavy it may leave an imprint on your mat.

Old 01-24-19, 07:35 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I have puzzle mats from Target or Sports Authority; they're old so I can't remember where I got them. They do slide on carpet. My FIRM boxes do not leave a permanent indentation in them. HTH !
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-19, 08:07 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I have puzzle mats from Target or Sports Authority; they're old so I can't remember where I got them. They do slide on carpet. My FIRM boxes do not leave a permanent indentation in them. HTH !
-Anita
Thanks!I remember the same thing from when I used puzzle mats.

Old 01-24-19, 10:36 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Good to know about these! I've looked at them before because Jessica Smith uses something similar. Just haven't done it. YET.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor mats, flooring, gorilla mat, mats