Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-14, 09:28 PM  
momofcha

Barre3 vs P57

Does anyone who likes P57 also enjoy barre3??? I've tried a couple barre 3 workouts in the past but they were so slow!

Thoughts?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 09:49 PM  
neatski

You KNEW I was gonna reply to this, lol.

Back when I was doing hardcore workouts all the time, I also thought Barre3 was WAY too easy. I turned my nose up at it. The workouts seemed so much gentler and so boring. When I did barre, I only wanted to do P57 and the other "advanced," fast-paced barre workouts like The Bar Method Dancer's Body, Pure Barre Pershing Square II, etc. But for several reasons, I ended up doing Barre3 exclusively for a while, and now I love it so much more. It has gotten SO MUCH harder. The longer you practice it, the more you learn to engage your muscles in the moves and get deeper into the positions. I feel that I didn't have to do that with workouts like P57, because I could get away with using my dominant muscles since the movements were large range a lot of the time and performed quickly. I'm still an advanced exerciser- do advanced HIIT workouts, pump out 120 burpees, do full range pullups, etc.- but Barre3 makes me go to failure now. I have literally fallen over, dripping with sweat, during Barre3 workouts, even the 30 minute ones. In fact, sometimes I do the reps even slower than they do, because that makes it harder. It takes time and practice to get to the point where you learn to engage the muscles to get that kind of intensity out of the workouts, but once you do, and you go "down lower and up a little less" like they cue in the videos, holy cow do they work you. My muscles start VIBRATING at the beginning of the workout and they don't stop til the core section. I also like Barre3 better because it's just more functional movement than other barre workouts (in my opinion). The moves tend to be more compound and there's a mixture of small and large range. And if it matters, the Barre3 studio culture is amazing- very health instead of size focused. There's very little talk of "teeny tiny" or "perky seats."

Just my two cents.. but honestly more than anything else, I think the best workout is something you can be consistent with. If you enjoy it, you'll do it more, and that's what actually counts when trying to achieve results.

ETA: I'm talking about the streaming workouts- I have the QVC set but actually most of the best Barre3 workouts are only available via their streaming service.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 09:59 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Do their streaming classes have a "live class" feel, neatski?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 10:06 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post

Back when I was doing hardcore workouts all the time, I also thought Barre3 was WAY too easy. I turned my nose up at it. The workouts seemed so much gentler and so boring. When I did barre, I only wanted to do P57 and the other "advanced," fast-paced barre workouts like The Bar Method Dancer's Body, Pure Barre Pershing Square II, etc. But for several reasons, I ended up doing Barre3 exclusively for a while, and now I love it so much more. It has gotten SO MUCH harder. The longer you practice it, the more you learn to engage your muscles in the moves and get deeper into the positions. I feel that I didn't have to do that with workouts like P57, because I could get away with using my dominant muscles since the movements were large range a lot of the time and performed quickly. I'm still an advanced exerciser- do advanced HIIT workouts, pump out 120 burpees, do full range pullups, etc.- but Barre3 makes me go to failure now. I have literally fallen over, dripping with sweat, during Barre3 workouts, even the 30 minute ones. In fact, sometimes I do the reps even slower than they do, because that makes it harder. It takes time and practice to get to the point where you learn to engage the muscles to get that kind of intensity out of the workouts, but once you do, and you go "down lower and up a little less" like they cue in the videos, holy cow do they work you. My muscles start VIBRATING at the beginning of the workout and they don't stop til the core section. I also like Barre3 better because it's just more functional movement than other barre workouts (in my opinion). The moves tend to be more compound and there's a mixture of small and large range. And if it matters, the Barre3 studio culture is amazing- very health instead of size focused. There's very little talk of "teeny tiny" or "perky seats."

Just my two cents.. but honestly more than anything else, I think the best workout is something you can be consistent with. If you enjoy it, you'll do it more, and that's what actually counts when trying to achieve results.

ETA: I'm talking about the streaming workouts- I have the QVC set but actually most of the best Barre3 workouts are only available via their streaming service.
I DID!!! . I'm just really having a hard time with energy & workouts these days. Im looking for results, but not draining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Do their streaming classes have a "live class" feel, neatski?
Great question. How many offerings are in their streaming service?

Old 11-19-14, 10:25 PM  
neatski

Regarding "live class" feel, some yes and some no. They have a free two week trial http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/ so you can try them out if you're curious!

My favorites are:
Total Body Rev (30 mins)
Barre3 Sizzler (30 mins)
Barre3 Interval Strength (40 mins)
Studio Burn (60 minutes)
Studio Fit (60 mins)

The last two are very much like live classes.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 10:36 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Regarding "live class" feel, some yes and some no. They have a free two week trial http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/ so you can try them out if you're curious!

My favorites are:
Total Body Rev (30 mins)
Barre3 Sizzler (30 mins)
Studio Burn (60 minutes)
Studio Fit (60 mins)

Awesome! Thanks for the free trial link.

Old 11-20-14, 09:29 AM  
momofcha

So I signed up for the free trial and I did the newest addition to the 40 min workouts - the "Instructor Favorites." I liked it. It's definitely very slow paced, but my body enjoyed it. As I said, I'm struggling immensely with fatigue and thyroid issues, so this felt pretty good. I followed it up with a 10 minute glute focus and together they were just right. I'm going to give it 2 weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks again for that link neatski!

Old 11-20-14, 10:42 AM  
cherimac

I find barre3 and SBF more sustainable for me than P57. I still get cardio for sure, but like the slower mind-body connection pace. I don't use the DVDs much either, as I like the streaming a LOT more.
Old 11-20-14, 10:50 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:

Neatski, I agree with everything you said in your post. The more you do Barre 3 (I also do their online classes), the harder they get because you put more into it. My heart rate gets up pretty high with these - sure there are some slower paced classes that don't have as much of a calorie burn, but they do tax the muscles in a good way. It's the only barre class I can do that doesn't leave my body aching in an unpleasant way.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-14, 12:15 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:

My favorites are:
Total Body Rev (30 mins)
Barre3 Sizzler (30 mins)
Studio Burn (60 minutes)
Studio Fit (60 mins)

Thanks for posting. Can u buy any of these? I hate streaming videos.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre 3, barre3, p57