Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-09, 11:17 PM  
ilovemybirds

I just bought the Element Slim and Tone dvd from Amazon! I watched the clip on total fitness dvds, and I really liked how it looked. I can't wait to try it!
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 11:21 PM  
LauraBella

...and I can't wait to hear your review! I especially want to know about the lower body work.... Thinking I may cave on this as well. But: no more DVDS before payday!!!!
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 05:46 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Jules' is chaptered so you can get to the lower body segment sooner; I can't remember if Karen's is or not, but my guess is not.
If you can power through Jules' lower body segment easily, you're strong! How about adding ankle weights or a resistance band to make it more challenging? One thing about Jules' workout is that she moves pretty quickly, so you really have to concentrate to use proper form and thus feel like you're getting the proper amount of work.
Jules' Pilates is about the only kind I can stand. I also like Noelle Stumpf's. Both of them have, to me, decent music and down-to-earth pleasant instruction. None of the snootiness I always associated with Pilates.
Old 11-11-09, 11:16 AM  
KathAL79

Rose, funny you should bring that up! We've been chatting in the Barefoot (formerly Pilates) check-in about how accessible and adaptable the Pilates method and exercises really are, how Joseph Pilates was actually quite flexible with matching the exercises to the person and working to help each person reach his or her potential. It's too bad that his method has been claimed by some as an elite secret or something and by others as this codified set of exercises that you have to execute so beautifully, thus becoming a way to show off. The Classical Pilates crew has stepped up efforts recently to stamp out some of the different schools, saying it's Joe's way or no way, but alternative approaches, like Jules', have value, too. I'm not the biggest fan of fusion workouts (Jules' isn't really fusion, but it's not the "traditional" Pilates, yet surprisingly I still like it a lot) for myself, but if people like them and gain strength, become more flexible, get in tune with that mind-body connection, or whatever results they want from them, that's great.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 01:02 PM  
ella

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
I'm actually absolutely in love with my Winsor Buns and Thighs with band workout. I've had it for barely a week and I've done it FIVE times! I was really delightfully surprised with this one; I don't always click with band work and I didn't adore Mari's original infomercial set. But, now I'm hooked.
Is the one with the band called "power sculpting"? What does the cover look like? I may have to hunt this one down too.
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 06:21 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella View Post
Is the one with the band called "power sculpting"? What does the cover look like? I may have to hunt this one down too.

I think "power sculpting" is in the title of the bandwork buns and thighs dvd, but there is also a whole body one called "power sculpting." It seems a little more...introductory?

Here are the two covers:

The Power Sculpting Buns and Thighs that I really liked:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1368wt_736

and

The Power Sculpting dvd that I felt was more simple:
http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Pilates...7981326&sr=1-3
Old 11-11-09, 06:32 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds View Post
I just bought the Element Slim and Tone dvd from Amazon! I watched the clip on total fitness dvds, and I really liked how it looked. I can't wait to try it!
Please let us know how you like it. I am so on the fence about this. Thanks, Pam.
Old 11-12-09, 12:49 AM  
ilovemybirds

Pam, I'll do that. I just got an email from Amazon today saying that it shipped, so I should be getting it on Friday.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 08:59 AM  
LauraBella

I can't wait to hear what you think!!! Having someone else to try it at least slightly delays myyy buying it....
Old 11-14-09, 12:49 AM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds View Post
Pam, I'll do that. I just got an email from Amazon today saying that it shipped, so I should be getting it on Friday.
Did you get it? Have you tried it? Were you challenged by it?

Tags
favorite pilates dvds, jules benson, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, standing pilates