Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-09, 07:04 AM  
Cher

Good pilates or yoga workout to give as a gift?

I drew one of my cousin's names for our family gift exchange and one of the things she had listed was a pilates or yoga dvd. I'm not really into pilates or yoga much so I'm not sure what would be a good one for her. She normally works out at a gym but said she occasionally likes to do a pilates or yoga workout at home. I believe the only workout dvd she has right now is New York City Ballet. Any suggestions from those of you that like those type of workouts?
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 07:15 AM  
ldy_solana

if she enjoys NYC maybe something on a more relaxing fusion mix like just b method with berndette giorgi mixes the standing ballet work with core pilates mat work. her first offering has the option of uses a light weight ball(something 2-5lbs) the attitude tu uses a band and the little ball.

i don't know any others i would recommend b/c i know what i like but some ppl are looking for so many different factors. maybe something ana caban or winsor pilates b/c they follow the same format but are a little more fun then say stotts. maybe kari andersons reach or angles,lines, and curves, element ballet conditioning which also fuse together different styles that include pilates type exercises.

would she like barre work? can't go wrong with core fusions or even squeeze.

ETA-just thinking about the just b dvds. the first one has two shorter workouts and tons of premixes so that would be a good bang for your buck value and the setting is basic but pretty elegant. its bright unlike NYC where its a bit darker. the music isn't exciting but fits the elegance of the workout and makes it relaxing but its a deceiving workout in that you do work but in a more gentle way and you feel it.
kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 08:40 AM  
jlar

I don't know anything about ballet workouts but I really like Yogini. Also Trudie Styler's Warrior yoga DVD is really good - flowing yoga poses. She also has a pilates DVD coming out the first part of December that looks really good. I've never been a pilates fan but I have this one on my wish list as it looks more like a yoga-pilates flow.

jlar
jlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 09:19 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlar View Post
I don't know anything about ballet workouts but I really like Yogini.

jlar
I love yogini, too. I just did it this morning, and I opened this thread to suggest, ever so tentatively, that this might be a nice compromise between yoga and pilates.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 10:35 AM  
Eibhinn

I just bought myself Eoin Finn's Pure and Simple Yoga last night and absolutely love it. After doing it only once, I think it might be my favorite of all of my yoga videos. Power Yoga For Happiness is one of my most-used dvds, but the slower pace, even rhythm, lack of ridiculous comments, choice of beginner or more advanced depictions of poses, and breathing track (set to a metronome, apparently) on this one suggests to me it would have a lot more staying power for alot of people.

For pilates and ballet, I would highly recommend Bernadette Giorgi's Attitude Ballet. It has two practices, one slightly more difficult that the other, and several different premixes. The premixes give the option of a longer workout, or doing ballet only, pilates floorwork only or pilates/ballet fusion strength work only. Be aware that the strength work uses a small weighted ball, but these can be had for under $5 at WalMart.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 12:05 PM  
Orlita

I love Eoin's Pure & Simple Yoga, too.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 12:50 PM  
hollymarie

I work in a public library, and Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief and Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for your Week are probably our most popular exercise DVDs. My yoga choice would be Barbara's DVD, and for pilates I like Ellen's Pick your Spot Pilates, which goes out surprisingly often for a VHS.

Both have shorter segments which can be combined or done alone.

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 01:12 PM  
herya

Or maybe Ellen's Crunch Yoga Pilates Super Slimdown? It's such a pleasant little workout.
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 01:45 PM  
steakhousegirl

My picks would be:

Yee AM Yoga for Your Week: Great 20 min. segments with excellent cueing.
Core Fusion Pure Arms & Abs: 10 Min. segments and it comes with a band.
Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart: Just a beautiful yoga dvd treat!

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 03:11 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhousegirl View Post
My picks would be:

Yee AM Yoga for Your Week: Great 20 min. segments with excellent cueing.
Core Fusion Pure Arms & Abs: 10 Min. segments and it comes with a band.
Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart: Just a beautiful yoga dvd treat!
Ditto, ditto and ditto!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote