Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-19, 12:32 PM  
BunnyHop

I know it's a bit out of date, but Terry Dubrow's The Acne Cure really helped me get a handle on the skincare trouble I had some years ago.
Basically, the theory is that you need to treat both inflammation and infection.
You might check the library to see if they have a copy you can refer to for ideas on how to manage your skincare.

They do use benzoyl peroxide, however, which might not fit with your plans.

At the time I was battling a fungal infection of some sort, that we'd thought was rosacea for a long time. Anyhow, this rather strict regimine actually got things under control. At the time there weren't a lot of options for the various active ingredient elements in the plan, but now it seems as though every drugstore is reasonably well stocked with such thing. As my skin got better, I had to give up the glycolic acid toner that had worked so well when things were bad.
(And FYI, another treatment option got rid of the fungal infection entirely, so all these problems faded away for me.)

Oh, and another issue, is of product sensitivity. I'd say double and triple check ingredient lists to make sure you're not inadvertently treating things with an ingredient that gives you trouble. (For example, my own skin detests witch hazel)
Old 10-25-19, 02:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, thanks for that helpful info! (Hmm, I have tried things with witch hazel before; I wonder if that could be a factor for me.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-19, 05:04 PM  
BigBadBetty

I don't know if this would work for your acne, but I love Avarelle Acne patches. I get an occasional, large and painful zit on my chin. If I put one of these patches on it as soon as I feel it, it will disappear quickly. I wish I had discovered these sooner.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-19, 08:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Betty, I had wondered about the effectiveness of acne patches; thanks for the info!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-25-19, 09:01 PM  
Leonana

My daughter had good luck with Cureology, cleared up her acne really well. They are an online dermatologist service, so you have to check to see if it's available in your state. She had clindamycin, niacinimide and azelaic acid in her serum. Some women with acne and aging skin have a combination of tretinoin (Retin A) and clindamycin.
Old 10-26-19, 08:19 AM  
Carol K

I've had cystic acne and I wouldn't try to cure it myself. I would see a dermatologist.
Old 10-26-19, 09:02 AM  
adrien_73

I developed cystic acne in my 40's, and never had it in my younger years. After at least 5 years of dermatologist visits and expensive prescriptions and products that either irritated my skin or made my breakouts worse, these are the products that helped me. I found them through my own research online...many from this forum! The best part is...they are very inexpensive.

I use this as an "anytime face wash":
Dr. Wood's Black Soap

I use this in the morning. Can be drying so I use a facial brush and keep it in a special soap dish:
The Grandpa Soap Co Face & Body Bar Soap Thylox Acne Treatment

This scrub is great to help remove makeup at the end of the day:
Acnedote Scrub

I use this every morning and evening:
Acnedote Astringent

I have also used a topical clyndamycin phosphate gel (prescription) under my makeup which seems to help as well. THis is the only prescribed treatment that did not cause an adverse reaction. (Trust me...I tried LOTS of them!!!)
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 09:34 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks again everyone!

Adrien, I appreciate the info on your personal experience! I am certainly a fan of inexpensive.

I have only really struggled with acne since I have gotten older...it became somewhat problematic in my 30s (I'm 51 now), and I tried a few prescription things back them. The weird thing is that I seemed to have found a very basic regimen that was working well for me (the main component being a AHA, Alpha Hydrox, but also using simply salycilic acid pads like Stridex or Noxema in the pm after washing my face), with only an occasional lone pimple here and there. That's why the current issues are so frustrating! The things I usually do don't seem to be as working well now.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-01-19, 12:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Just when I thought my opinion of Paula's Choice couldn't get much lower... Now they are selling supplements. (Yeah, we can't talk about supplements, but finding a Mod here is like finding a diamond ring in the septic tank!)

I have a handful of her products that I still like. But, between the soaring prices, the burying of bad reviews on her site and now selling pills, it is hard to justify supporting the PC brand.

ETA: I did mange to find some bad reviews there.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 01:03 PM  
Carol K

These things are disappointing, but not enough for me to suddenly dislike the products I've used for years. I just wait for sales and buy when I can get a discount. It's not as bad as when the entire makeup line was discontinued and I had to find substitutes for everything. Now THAT was expensive.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2019, clothes, clothing, hair, makeup, skin