Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-19, 09:15 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
In my personal experience I was very, very skinny in my 20s and I lifted heavy and it really made me look great without any bulk. I lifted heavy and had a trainer while lifting heavy I looked amazing and felt good.

Now at 44 if I lift heavy I get huge in size, doesn’t matter what I eat. Right now I’m in a debulking phase using my fitness loop/resistance bands for upper and back to Callanetics. I always go back to trying the heavy lift but always end up regretting it and each time the debulk phase lasts longer than the time before. At 5’2 (3/4) quarterback shoulders and thunder thighs are just not a good look, however I always lift moderate for my butt and lower body or my buns turn into pancakes.
Are you streaming Callanetics? Are there specific dvds that use the bands?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 09:16 AM  
rhbrand

I get smaller in all the places I want to, and I get bigger in all the places I want to.

Waist, smaller, butt, bigger.

Besides, I WANT to be super SUPER strong, so I lift as heavy as I can.
Old 03-01-19, 09:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I do get stronger and smaller with heavy weights, and don't bulk anymore. But I can get injured if I overdo it, so I'm doing 2 or at most 3 days a week now. Mostly I just love how it feels to lift heavy.

My whole family has had multiple colds this winter, but I haven't been sick - knock wood!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 10:25 AM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Personally, I gain weight doing heavy weights. I've done two experiments and gained weight both times. I gained muscle and fat together.

A personal trainer I was in a class with at time time of my first round of experimentation said "well of course!" when I complained about gaining weight lifting heavy weights. Apparently she thought that was just normal. She said "that's why bodybuilders have build and cut phases."

I keep hearing that lifting heavy weights will make you smaller. . . doesn't happen that way for me. I wish it did. I wouldn't mind being heavier if I was smaller. . .
This has been my experience as well. However, I do tend to get injured now when I lift. I can't blame that entirely on the weights. I realize now I was probably over training...with both high impact cardio and weights...for decades. Now I have to be careful with everything I do.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 02:21 PM  
marki64

Interesting thread. I have always been a low weight/high rep person and occasionally do heavier weight/less reps. If you look at my arms, you probably wouldn't think I lift at all. Recently I have been working out to a variety of instructors and am noticing a little bulge in my bi's from lifting heavier (for me) and doing as many reps as you can for 30-45 seconds and then repeating the exercise in the set. I'm kinda liking this method. Now, heavy for upperbody for me, is a set of 12-15 lb dumbbells. I really don't care to lift 20+ poundage. I think I would end up pulling or straining something. But I am seeing strength gains and a little definition in my arms and legs. I also have to add that bodyweight exercises have really helped too.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 05:12 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I get smaller in all the places I want to, and I get bigger in all the places I want to.

I wish! I don't seem to show size or definition much at all. Although I know I am getting stronger just because, well, I can lift more
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 05:50 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I LOVE LOVE LOVE lifting as heavy as I possibly can. To failure.

Yes I gained weight from heavy lifting but not necessarily inches. I get much more defined. My shoulders, arms and thighs certainly get bigger but I like that. I am short 5'1" and am very stocky.

I know my body type and what works for me. I am not a barre/ballet girl and my body will never be that way.
However, my body, even at 56, gets stronger and stronger and that is my goal. I love having "quadzilla" legs, I love having football shoulders, I love having biceps! My step daughter pointed out my "guns" to her friends.

Heavy lifting isn't for everyone. And yes, I'm afraid it will probably make you look a little bulky, especially if you aren't super thin and eat like a winner. I am not and I don't but I'm happy with how I am and I'll dare anyone to arm wrestle me.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 05:52 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I used to get smaller when I lifted fairly heavy but the last few years it has been making me super hungry so I have been rethinking my whole approach.

Last April-June I did Club Pilates then went back to heavy lifting. My hunger went through the roof. I switched to a different program (was doing Nia Shanks then switched to Bedrock Strength) and the hunger was more manageable although otherwise I was not thrilled with BRS. I stopped lifting in January to avoid the new years resolution crowds at the gym and did Pilates, resistance band and body weight. I am about to start phase 4 of Nia Shank's Beautiful Badass 6 Phase system because I am tired of wondering what workout I am going to do each day.
I really like lifting heavy but for some reason I am not looking forward to starting up again and I need to figure out a way to manage the hunger.
I mainly just want to follow a program.

ETA: I also love getting strong. Hopefully the break from lifting will have done me some good and I can start out fresh.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 07:51 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post

Same for me, but the biggest bonus is my mood and self-confidence when I’m lifting heavy and going for PRs. I’ll be 52 this month and have to be mindful about overtraining. I also take period breaks from it, but it makes me feel great and causes the least amount of injury and run-down feeling of any other type of exercise I do. I can’t count how many times I’ve been injured from yoga, Pilates, and barre, which leads me to believe my body isn’t built for those types of workouts.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 10:06 PM  
Taiga

Heavy lifting makes me tiny/ripped/strong----as long as I don't "eat to feed muscle gains". I'm always surprised that many women complain about getting bigger with heavy lifting but they are pounding down a few extra protein shakes per day, in addition to their diet. That intake can account for an extra meal or 2 of calories per day! I eat a very clean diet (fish,veges, complex carbs etc) but I don't add calories when I'm in a lifting program, even if the program suggests it. I did try that once but I started to bulk/lose definition and I dropped it like a hot rock. People always ask me if that affects my recovery time. As long as my diet is clean / anti-inflammatory, I heal just fine. No sugar/junk food/alcohol/bread/pasta etc and I actually recover quickly. I do know that plenty of folks here have mentioned using protein drinks to curb post workout hunger and soreness so worth a trial if someone is struggling but my body does best without it.

I should also mention that I get better results with rest days in between splits. When I did STS, I only did the weight work (not the shock cardio) because I get better results without cardio. I love cardio so that was hard to accept. More cardio= less muscle gain and definition for me and I've tested it enough times to be sure.

For reference, I pretty much limit myself to 50lb dumbbells or less these days. I stored the heavier stuff because DH was getting quite grumpy over the room it used. I was pleased at the gym like appearance of our living room but he had other ideas :-)

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weight training, heavy weights