Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-15, 01:57 PM  
Loriann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Is that primarily due to the carbonation? I mean, if I switched to just La Croix sparkling water, would I still potentially have that issue?
Julie,

I think part of the tummy bloat was the carbonation, part of it was the aspartame. I don't think aspartame and I got along, but I hadn't realized it until I didn't drink it anymore.
Lori
Old 02-15-15, 03:35 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

I love tea and never add sugar, but one that I like that has a natural sweetness is Harney and Sons Cinnamon Sunset. Here is a link to this tea:
http://www.amazon.com/Harney-Sons-Ci.../dp/B000NNCMG4

I get mine at Target.

eta Just noticed someone else mentioned Harney and Sons! I second it!
Old 02-15-15, 03:43 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
Julie,

I think part of the tummy bloat was the carbonation, part of it was the aspartame. I don't think aspartame and I got along, but I hadn't realized it until I didn't drink it anymore.
Lori
For me tummy bloat is usually due to carbonation, chewing a lot of sugar free gum, or time of the month. Even LaCroix, etc. will give me bloat. However, the first two aren't nearly as significant factors for me personally, as the third is.
Old 02-16-15, 08:20 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I was never a big soda drinker, thankfully, but especially since the past ~15 years I'm not really drinking it, maybe 1-2x a year a few sips. I just don't like it, too sweet and knowing it's all garbage!..
Diet soda is even worse than the 'real' stuff, I avoid anything with artificial sweeteners like aspartame or Splenda etc. like the plague!
[About 15 years ago I quit using Splenda and my frequent headaches went down drastically immediately! That to me was a big revelation, which got confirmed the more I read about Splenda, containing arsenic, chlorine etc!]

I'd suggest to switch to the 'real deal' and enjoy that one in a limited quantity, maybe 1 can a week rather than drinking the diet poison!..

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

Old 02-16-15, 08:51 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My fave tea is Typhoo! I got hooked on it when I lived in the UK. Sometimes I can find it in the US, but usually I have to wait until someone I know goes there. DH's work partner is half English, so when he goes to visit his dad, he stocks me up!
They carry this on Amazon, free shipping with Prime too! http://smile.amazon.com/Typhoo-Tea-2...eywords=typhoo
Old 02-16-15, 08:57 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
They carry this on Amazon, free shipping with Prime too! http://smile.amazon.com/Typhoo-Tea-2...eywords=typhoo
Good to know! thx
Old 02-16-15, 10:50 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My fave tea is Typhoo! I got hooked on it when I lived in the UK. Sometimes I can find it in the US, but usually I have to wait until someone I know goes there.
You should be able to find it in an Irish or British imports shop in your city. Lots of British expats live in Boston.
Old 02-17-15, 12:33 AM  
Just_Jo

Two words: Kidney stones. Diet soda changes your body chemistry, and my doc told me made me prone to kidney stones. I had to have surgery for my stones, so I gave it up cold turkey because it was the worst surgery ever.

That was three or more years ago. I actually didn't miss it. I switched to water with lemon, and I find it much more refreshing, cheaper, and I'm happier.

That said, sometimes when I go to a bar, I will drink a real Coke. And it is good. That happens about once a year or so.

I used to drink a couple 32 ounce diet pops each day, I was really addicted. It's so nice not to have to haul that in, mess with the cans, etc., and my kidneys have been clear of stones since!
Old 02-17-15, 10:21 AM  
BigBadBetty

I drank a minimum of 6 cans of Diet Coke a day. I quit almost 2 years ago cold turkey. I quit because I was wasting so much money. The first 2 weeks were awful. I did take caffeine pills, but it wasn't the same as having the slow drip of caffeine into my system. I don't drink coffee or tea so it was my only form of caffeine.

I notice no changes in my health. I don't consume artificial sweeteners nor caffeine (except an occasional chocolate). My migraines has subsided before I gave up Diet Coke. (My body's 40-birthday present to itself was to stop having migraines...best gift ever.)

Sadly, a Diet Coke still sounds good. If I could drink Diet Coke in moderation, I would.
Old 02-17-15, 10:28 AM  
preklbt

I'm thinking I may have to use some of these stories to keep me going...I know it's the right thing to do, to stop drinking it & stop consuming that lethal aspartame, but it's hard!! I waver between ok just one (a 32 ounce soda) a day is ok to no none at all to who cares, something is gonna get me anyway!! I know, not the most mature thoughts!

But, I'm sticking to it, my goal is to completely get rid of it, I know I am the type that could not have just some of it in my life, I would slide right back to my old habits!! I do drink iced coffee sometimes & may use that as a caffeine crutch here & there. I'm not a tea drinker, I've tried it just never takes w/me. Other than that I'm drinking a lot of water & trying to focus on how much better this is for my body in the long run!!

Thanks again everyone for all the sharing, it's really great!
Tami
Closed Thread