Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-15, 07:45 PM  
hypnomoon

I cut off cold turkey. And, I have done it for decades at a time. I'm currently about 2 years out this time. It's hard because I love the caffeine. But, I know it does a mess on my overall health.
Old 02-13-15, 07:45 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

There are several canned and/or bottled carbonated waters that you can buy, Perrier being the most famous (there are others). You can now buy them flavored. With Perrier I have seen lime, lemon, orange and grapefruit, as well as the plain. They are all 0 calorie, and they give you same mouth feel as a carbonated soft drink, but it's only water. The flavorings are subtle but add a nice taste.
Old 02-13-15, 07:49 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Gosh I haven't had diet soda in forever...I'm scared of the artificial sweeteners and junk in it. I have read that diet is worse than regular. I've pretty much quit any kind of soda. As I've gotten older I really have to be careful what I consume.

I do still like my morning coffee.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 02-13-15, 08:04 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I bought a sodastream and make seltzer at home. Love it! http://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Fou...rds=sodastream
Old 02-13-15, 08:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I bought a sodastream and make seltzer at home. Love it! http://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Fou...rds=sodastream
We have a Soda Stream and we love it!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 02-13-15, 08:59 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Very timely thread: my Big, Strong, Handsome DH had his annual physical last month & his kidney values (BUN & creatinine) came back high. As in high enough to get a referral to a nephrologist.

The kidney doc himself called DH the day after we got the initial results & told him to cut out all artificial sweeteners for 10 days, drink a lot of water & re-do the tests. Result: everything was back in range.

We had the appt with the nephrologist last week. He said he was seeing more & more examples of artificial sweeteners leading to kidney problems.

Disclosure: DH loves Diet Dr. Pepper. He drank 4 - 6 cans/day for the last 10+ years (I know! ), so basically he was a lab rat for aspartame.

We're lucky DH's body responded so quickly. The rest of his diet is good & he works out regularly (in fact, doc said his increased muscle mass explains why his creatinine runs at the high end of normal). AND he hasn't had a diet soda since he got the news.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Old 02-13-15, 09:56 PM  
preklbt

Thanks everyone for all of the comments, personal stories, etc.

I do drink a lot of water, but admittedly drink too much diet coke! I often have taken the attitude life is short, so who cares. However, I spend so much time focusing on my workouts & everything I eat that it is silly not to account for this! So my plan is to first reduce my diet coke & steadily work towards quitting. I am hopeful that I will notice a change in some things & that will motivate me to completely kick the habit! Wish me luck & strength!

Thanks again! 😊
Tami
Old 02-13-15, 10:13 PM  
Fidget Queen

I'm not a huge soda fan at all, but once in a great while I pick up cans of a "natural" soda called Zevia.

http://www.zevia.com

It uses stevia (I think it's safer, though it might have its problems, too) instead of aspartame and they have several flavors, including a Cola one. I think it tastes better than Diet Coke. They used to only be in "health" food stores, but I see them at Safeway now.

Maybe you could make the switch in your effort to quit.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-15, 11:00 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I agree that life is short, and I want to be as healthy as possible for all of it.
Old 02-13-15, 11:19 PM  
BunnyHop

I haven't made a habit of drinking soda (diet or otherwise) since I made the mistake of drinking a few at unairconditioned room temperature in the aftermath of a hurricane when fresh water was in shorter supply than usual. At room temperature, the sodas sweetened with corn syrup left a yucky film on my teeth, and remembering that sensation just grossed me out so much I've cut way, way back on sodas ever since.

I have one once in a while, but not very often.

Interesting about the aspartame/bloodwork connection, but good to know. Glad things improved.