Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-13, 08:05 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post

Besides, my own mom never made motherhood sound very appealing. She used to tape her gray hairs to the mirror and say..."You kids did this to me!!!!"
You are all killing me here
Old 01-30-13, 09:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Jeez, I would never presume to ask someone *why* they don't have children. It just didn't happen, either by happenstance or choice. ...snip...
But yeah. People can be darn rude.
Rose I don't even think of it as rude anymore when people ask (although of course it is--I never ask someone why they have kids!). I've tried to use some snappy comeback, but now I usually just say something like "it's more fun being the aunt!" However, I'm also usually quick to say that I LOVE kids--in my case, this is actually true, but I feel bad for people who don't like kids, as they are stigmatized even further.

I also feel bad for those who are childless b/c they can't have kids--I always imagine how hard it would be for THEM to get this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post
A comment that my child free sister hears is (even from our own mother!) is, "It's probably for the best. Not everyone would be a good mother." The implication that she takes away from this is that there is something so defective with her that she did the world a favor by not having a child.
Julie, that is so sad! People have always told me that I would make a good mother; on the one hand, it's one of the reasons why they say I "should" have kids, but on the other, I do take it as a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoro View Post
2. Being discrimanted against in a work setting because I don't have children. I don't get the picking the kid up/running to a kid's play/out sick because of the kid stuff (not that its all a joy for those who do). I have also had the situation where people felt that I should be obligated to work certain holidays because I "don't have a family" ummm yeah I do, not having a kid does not negate me having a family.
Oh, I forgot about #2. Luckily, this doesn't happen to me all that much--one of my co-workers is gay with no kids, and several others either have just one child or older children, so it's not a big issue. But you do kind of feel sometimes that it's not justified to take time off to take care of your own "family."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I have, because of my childlessness, been judged as LESS moral than women who have children. I lost track, decades ago, of mothers who have said to me, "You really don't understand X unless you have children," the 'X' being an issue that was always, at heart, a moral issue--not littering, or being allowed to leave work early without penalty because of their children (yes, I have picked up the slack without complaint and without being paid of women who left early), or the longing for a pet--COUNTLESS other small but at heart moral issues.
This is interesting--DH & I haven't run into this from not having children, but we have run into others suggesting that we can't have morals b/c we aren't religious! But I won't get into that...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 09:25 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
This has been an illuminating thread so far! I think Lizzo's comparison of this thread to the "are you an extrovert or introvert?" thread is spot-on.

.... Sadly, when I hear someone imply they are magically protected in old age because they have children, I immediately know that the person has never once done any serious volunteer work in a nursing home. (My two years of weekly teenage volunteer work at an "upper class" nursing home was quite an education. )
I worked in a nursing home for 13 years and MOST of the patients children or grandchildren visited them. Some would come just on a big holiday or once a month. And it wasn't because they lived far, they just didn't bother. So I feel really sorry for anyone thinking that their children will guarantee them company in their old age because chances are, they won't be around.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 09:49 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

DH and I were married for 8 years before we finally decided to have kids. I was a bit reluctant, knowing that my life was going to change. I have done daycare, coached, and taught public school. I knew what I was getting into. I love my kids and wouldn't change a thing.

Honestly, I can't believe some of the comments. My IL's used to bug us about when we were going to have kids, then when was baby #2 going to be. They scratched their heads with baby #3 and when I got my bonus baby girl, the comments come about our "huge" family.

I think that there is just way too much criticism out there. I used to work with school teachers who chose to not have kids. People would scratch theri hands and call them selfish. I don't think it's selfish to not have kids. As another person upthread mentioned...it would be worse to have kids you don't want.

We just all need to love and be tolerant...as Rodney King put it, "Can't we all just get along?" .

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:12 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I think that there is just way too much criticism out there. I used to work with school teachers who chose to not have kids. People would scratch theri hands and call them selfish. I don't think it's selfish to not have kids. As another person upthread mentioned...it would be worse to have kids you don't want.
See, comments like that boggle my mind. My best friend works with immigrant/refugee children as a case worker and recently completed graduate work so she could work with trafficked women and children. She loves kids, but doesn't want to have any...and people hold that against her. That type of judgment bothers her because she works so hard and finds enough fulfillment in just working with kids. She told me that one doesn't need to a parent to make a meaningful impact in the lives of children--in fact, many of the kids she works with have horrible parents!--and yet people's prejudices and biases make them overlook the contributions of teachers, case workers, especially if they don't have children of their own.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:18 PM  
violingal3

Wow, I was just going to read the comments, but had to chime in and say, "Me, too!" I'm in my early 30s and DH and I have been together 12 years. I am an only child and just recently had the blunt talk with my mother (who is desperately waiting) to tell her I have no maternal instinct and no desire to have children, so don't wait up for us (I think she's stalling some of her life plans thinking she needs to be close by because a baby is coming). I've heard it all from just about everyone over the years...sigh...
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:26 PM  
Diana3271

I am also an only child. DH and I never wanted children. I also don't feel that I have any maternal instincts. Although, I feel differently about pets (dogs). My Mom always supported us and said it was our decision. My DH had a V when we were married 5 years because we didn't want to deal with BC any longer. My MIL, of course blamed it all on me and made it sound like I made her son get a V against his will. She said that I was a "greedy little girl".

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:28 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My DH and waited five years to have children and honestly I could have gone either way. I wholeheartedly agree that having children is a choice and not for everyone. The comments and criticism childless couples receive is so wrong. But it works both ways and I have to jump in and say that I have heard many negative, hurtful comments about children and parenthood from those who are childless and that's wrong too.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:46 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My DH and waited five years to have children and honestly I could have gone either way. I wholeheartedly agree that having children is a choice and not for everyone. The comments and criticism childless couples receive is so wrong. But it works both ways and I have to jump in and say that I have heard many negative, hurtful comments about children and parenthood from those who are childless and that's wrong too.
Where is the "like" button, Pam?

J.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:47 PM  
SimplyGlowing

I can also relate to being the only child and constantly being pressed by my parents . My mother recently even said that I should just have a baby and if I don't want him/her she Will raise them ....I was shocked and told her to adopt a baby if she so desperately needed one. But I refuse to go against myself to simply please others .
SimplyGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
childfree, toxic family members