Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-09, 01:02 AM  
ilovemybirds

I'm think I'm scheduled to do pilates on Tuesday or so (I'm doing another round of Sexy in 6), so I'll be sure to share my thoughts about it then.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 10:12 AM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds View Post
I'm think I'm scheduled to do pilates on Tuesday or so (I'm doing another round of Sexy in 6), so I'll be sure to share my thoughts about it then.
Yay!

It's 7.77 at ddd right now, btw.
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 08:56 PM  
LauraBella

Well....

I tried KV's Total Body Training today. I enjoyed it. But, wanted to say I'm grateful for the "it's not pilates" warning!
Old 11-18-09, 02:25 AM  
ilovemybirds

I tried Element Slim and Tone Pilates. I must say I was mixed on it. Just to give some background, I would say I'm a low intermediate when it comes to pilates. I can do most of the moves, but I don't think I'm doing them 100% correctly.
Here's what I liked about the workout:
Gorgeous scenery
Generic, but very pleasant background music
The instructor gave good cues
Some of the moves were different than what I've seen in my 10 Minute Solutions Pilates or Tracey Mallett pilates workouts that I've done, and I liked these moves.

Cons:
Moved too fast for someone who's not familiar with pilates, or for someone like me who has some familiarity with pilates but hasn't taken an actual pilates class.
As a result of the workout moving so fast, I didn't get a very good upper body workout, even though I used 3 pound dumbbells. I added 30 push ups, and it was only then that I felt like I got a decent upper body workout. Since I have a toddler and don't have a lot of time to work out, I have to do workouts that hit all of the body parts in an hour or less.
I just didn't click with her for some reason.

Overall assessment:
Good for someone who is familiar with pilates moves, or for people who can tack short pilates workouts onto a longer cardio workout. Not so good for someone who isn't as familiar with pilates, or who is limited on workout time.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 07:19 AM  
alisoncooks

I have to agree with Ilovemybirds.
I didn't chime in earlier b/c I thought maybe it was just me.....but I didn't click with this one at all. The voiceover didn't bother me like on the Core Fusions (I expected it w/ Element), but something about it just felt a little cold and removed?
It flowed very well but quickly and I think I just wasn't up to it. It was also a little long and I prefer my pilates workouts to be short so I can add them on or do them when my 2 little ones are busy/entertained...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 08:15 AM  
LauraBella

TY both for your thoughts!!!! I guess I can skip this. When I saw how MUCH ab emphasis Collage put on...that gave me hesitation, too.
Old 11-18-09, 09:56 AM  
KathAL79

Thanks, ilovemybirds and Allison! You and the others who have tried the new Element (or any other Pilates video) should consider cutting and pasting your reviews onto the new VF reviews system.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 01:29 PM  
pfhanna

Now I don't know if I should even bother, or wait for core fusion's new one (arms and abs). Thanks so much for the review, Pam.
Old 11-18-09, 01:31 PM  
intelsana

Does anyone have a good pilates DVD they would recommend for lower body work? I can't do CF thighs and glutes because of my knee injury. I need a workout that does not involve you spending a lot of time on all 4s, and does not have squats/lunges/plies.
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 02:04 PM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelsana View Post
Does anyone have a good pilates DVD they would recommend for lower body work? I can't do CF thighs and glutes because of my knee injury. I need a workout that does not involve you spending a lot of time on all 4s, and does not have squats/lunges/plies.
Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates has a really good, intense side lying leg series (no squats, lunges, plies).

Marcy

Tags
favorite pilates dvds, jules benson, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, standing pilates