Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-17, 08:29 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Pokemon Go - Raiding and getting those steps!

Yes - I admit it, I am a Pokemon Go fan. I've been playing for over a year now and I enjoy it. Dh also plays. I am level 33 and Valor (Red Team). Niantic has revamped the whole "gym" and "battling" system. I won't go into the old stuff, too confusing. I'll just focus on the here and now.

The Maximum amount of team members allowed in the gym is 6. They have little hearts above their heads which show how much life they have left. One can actually remote feed their Pokemon with raspberries if they're around their device to se it say they need raspberries! You can also feed other Pokemon in gyms.

When you leave a Pokemon in a gym, it doesn't matter if you leave a Pokemon in 1 gym, 2 gyms, 3 gyms, the pay out system is by time reached before the Pokemon gets returned to you. (Your journal will say your Pokemon has battled hard and has been returned to you). The maximum amount of coins you can get (totally combined is only 50 for an 8 hour period.) So it no longer pays to defend a gym with a higher level pokemon. Anything after 8 hours and the pokemon is just taking up space and not earning money for it.

But on to the more important "raiding" . They have put out the "Legnedary birds". There's Articuno, Lugia, Zapdos and Moltres. There are more legendaries, but these are the ones they've released for now. They were doing them for only a week at a time and then they went away. Now they brought ALL four back but only until August 31st. (is what they say). These are much bigger and you have to have a"raid Pass" to even battle them in the gyms. You'll see timers above the gyms when they are having a raid going on. These (typically) cannot be done alone, which is Niantics way of getting us all to play together and make new friends! Or at least talk to one another. It has worked for us in our area. You start to see the same people at the raids!

There's other raids too (not as high level). But some that DO require more people. There's Tyranataur ... and I"ve seen others.

There's a lot more, but this is a start. I'm super tired, so I'll try to add some stuff in the a.m. when I'm not as weary.

We live in area where we have to drive to parks and to places to raid. It's not like in the cities. THere are 2 apps I use. One is called "gymhntr" and without it, I wouldn't know where the raids are.

There's also a "Discord" group around here (actualy several, but I belong to one). They announce legendary raids and people then say if they can make it, on their way, etc. Because some of the raids you really need 10-15 people to do it. Oh - I should add that just winning the raid does NOT guarantee getting the Pokemon, you win balls and then you have to try and CATCH the legendary.

Discord is an app for gamers. (not just Pokemon)
My suggestions is to go to some raids, talk to the people and get some hints. That's what we did. Joined the discord group cuz I heard people talking about it. Joined a few Facebook pages in the area to get notifications and the rest is history. I talk to people, get pointers, hints, etc. It really has added a whole new dimension to the game.

I caught a "shiny" (magikarp) and evolved it into a Red Gyarados this weekend. Not my strongest, but looks great! LOL. I got that from a "Magikarp" raid. Not everyone has their magiKarp turn to a shiny, but doing the raid gives you the best chance. It's a low level.

You get one free raid pass a day. (By going in a gym and spinning it). If you don't raid one day, you use the pass the next day, spin the gym and get a new raid pass for THAT day. But you cannot accumulate them! (Darn!) (Or you can buy them - which they actually have a sale on them now).

Now I'm waiting for Mewtew and see how that's going to work. (Supposedly invite only from gyms that we've raided so far.) Not sure exactly how it will work.

Anyway ... more later, questions? Just ask. I KNOW I can't be the only Pokemon Go player here on VF. It's a GREAT way to get tons of steps in. Walk, walk, walk ... So yes! it's exercise related.

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 09:40 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Cleda, thank you for your tips! I'm lucky to live in an area that's chock full of both gyms and Pokestops. I like the revamped gyms much better than the old system, if only because they now offer items and badges. Last time I was in DC, I was scurrying around collecting badges. I tried to leave a Pokemon at the White House but it was full. (I'm Team Valor, too!)

A couple of times when I tried to join a raid, when the timer counted down to zero, it said it was a "private" raid or something. What does that mean? Can you sign up for raids ahead of time? I'll have to check out Discord.

Also, do you have Android or an iphone? I have Android and the game takes forever to load.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 05:01 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

I have an Android Phone

Private groups require the "key" . If you look in the upper right hand corner (when you go to do a battle) it will show 3 squares with 3 types of Pokemon. When it's a "public battle" it generally is bublesaur, bulblesaur, bulblesaur. When a private group is created, the creator picks one of 9 pokemon for each box ... Everyone clicks "Private battle" and puts in the code and they then have their own "private" battle.

Private battles help for several reasons:

1.) People who only want to raid with their own groups. (Our area is probably more friendly as we need ALL the help we can get !!! ~~ dh and I are talking about going to either NYC or Philly to do some poke hunting. (and Philly is rumored - no actually has some Unowns).
2.) In our area - it's when more than 20 people (maximum allowed in a raid) show up to battle, we split into teams. Usually Mystic, Valor & Instinct, although instinct is the underdog around here and they have to join another team that needs people.

The reason to split into teams of team color is the ball bonus. Once you defeat the raid - you get extra balls if you do the most damage and if your team has done the most damage as well. It can be up to 3 or 4 ball bonuses to try and capture the raid boss.

Don't know if you've separated out your pokemon by their stats. I'm still working on this (and it's time intense!) because I didn't know what I was doing. Turns out some Pokemon that have high CP are lousy at battling and although I marked them as favorites, are pure garbage. Live and learn. I use an app called Poke Genie and it will give you the IV stats of the particular Pokemon. With Being team valor - when we have the "trainer" assess our pokemon - we are looking for "amazing" stats. Strong is ok but good and decent aren't that great. So I've spent the last many nights trying to go through my Pokedex to find out who's good and who's not good. Transferring to the professor those that aren't that great for battle.

All of the apps that I use are (generally speaking) free and not against the rules. I do NOT want to come this far to get banned from the game ... I won't cheat, I won't teleport and I won't spoof. (we have a lot of spoofers around here) ....

when I show up for a battle (since I don't know) I still have to ask who's good for battling. Water vs electric vs ground vs fighting, etc, etc. I know there's a chart - which I have to find so that I can print it out and know more about it. My kid is great at it, as he grew up with Pokemon and playing all the video games after the cards. He hadn't played though and just started. I want to take him a long and get his levels up, but it will take a long time. I have to get a MILLION ... yes a MILLION XP to make my next level. and I thought 750,000 was bad !!! I suppose I'll be doing the next event.

Oh and I noticed last night that if you win raids they are finally starting to give some POTIENTS too ... I was having to sacrifice some berries and balls to make room in my bag for more potients. Raiding takes a lot of potients. (Of course I have over 200 revives and had ditched 150 of them over the weekend.)

Again, I know there's more- but this is a start.
Leaving a pokemon at the Whitehouse? How cool would that be - you definitely need to screen shot should you ever do that.

Yep ... because we have to drive to raids, it's actually kinda funny. Small otherwise empty parks/areas all of the sudden get groups of 10-30 people and we do our raids and then we disperse. I stopped at a raid 3 nights ago on my way home from work and someone just stopped in - we asked if he was so and so from Discord and he said, "Nope ... Just saw the group, knew the bank was closed and you were all looking at your smart phones, so I KNEW it was a raid. LOL ... Last night - sadly, we were going after Articuno and Lapras. . . We only had 6 people and couldn't defeat Articuno. The raids were about 2 miles apart. Oh and the conversation was, "Do you want to take down Lapras first since we know we can beat him and then come back here and see if there's any more people?" .... Where is Lapras? Oh just down the road!!! (yep ... 2 miles away. is "just down the road" around here. So we hopped in the cars and the little Pokemon Caravan went on it's merry way.

When we were in town ... there was a group of 8 of us and a man came out and across the street to ask what we were doing. That we were the third group of people to show up on the corner and be staring at our smart phones. I gladly explained and showed him my phone and the game and he seemed to get a kick out of it. We also have to be careful as we don't want to trespass or go on people's lawns ..... Not everyone would "get" the pokemon craze. (many people are shocked that people are still playing) ....

Cleda

PS ... Ok in reading this - it sounds like I'm entirely way too much into Pokemon Go ... Which I actually am! lol ....
Old 08-18-17, 05:10 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks so much, Cleda. I need to come back and read this when I have more brain power.

I work in downtown DC and get messages pretty regularly now about raids starting and wondered what the deal was. Maybe I'll leave a Pokémon at the National Press Club in the complex where I work.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 05:12 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

and forgot about the phone

which was the subject. D'oh ....
Depends on how old your phone is.
But, the whole game can be a little clunky.
It's not just Android.

Last night (well, ours is more of a reception problem).. . . the whole group's phones froze. We had to back out of the battle, restart and walk a little bit to get better reception. (I make it sound like we're in the middle of the boondocks and we're really not) ...

Funny (and true story) ... We were due for new phones and I kept putting it off, putting it off. I thought we were a year overdue, but we were actually 2 years overdue. . what was the final thing that caused us to actually get new phones? My husband's phone would not allow him to play pokemon go, so we did what any serious gamer would do - we Upgraded our phones! lol ....

But it can still be quirky and cranky.
Cleda
Old 08-18-17, 05:12 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Hmmm ...

Maybe DC should be on my list of cities to visit !

Cleda
Old 08-18-17, 09:02 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

DC is a PG hotbed for sure. I don't know if any uncommon ones can be found there, but there are tons of pokestops and gyms all over the Mall, and you don't have to worry about getting hit by cars.

The Main Street of my hometown, Ellicott City, has tons of Magikarp, Dratini (caught a Dragonair once too), Psyducks and Slowpokes as well as pokestops and gyms galore. They had a devastating flash flood a year ago but have really bounced back.

Thanks for the phone tips. Now I have a good excuse for the new Galaxy S8 I've been drooling over

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 02:09 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S
I work in downtown DC and get messages pretty regularly now about raids starting and wondered what the deal was. Maybe I'll leave a Pokémon at the National Press Club in the complex where I work.
Laura, we are work neighbors! I take a commuter bus in from Virginia and usually jump off either at Freedom Plaza or 14th and F and walk to my office near Farragut Square.

I don't play Pokemon Go, but I get a huge kick out of the idea. Plus I've heard about Cleda's rare shiny Gyardos (in the 'Everyday in ...' check-in) and who can forget her excitement about that announcement. Go forth and raid, I say!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 02:10 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleda View Post
maybe dc should be on my list of cities to visit !

cleda
yep!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:09 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

A road trip

may be in my future. But, if I show up in the DC area, I would feel guilty if I didn't do a bike ride OR something with Daphne!

I suppose one city at a time. For now? We're off to do some raiding today. Dh doesn't have an Articuno (or he did and deleted it unintentionally?? ) and we want to try and raid at all local gyms so when the invites for Mewtew comes out , we're all set to raid locally.

One can dream. I also want a shiny Pikachu. But I don't think they're out either.

Happy Hunting!
Cleda

Tags
active gaming, apps, pokemon, pokemon go, walking apps