Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-31-21, 11:24 AM  
fanofladyvols

DCWs elephant saying needs to be the group's mantra!

I think listening to podcasts also helps you visualize and prepare to declutter. Cassandra really drove home the idea will you revisit/use something idea to me.

So I was able to honestly look at a bookcase that was filled with books I considered off limits. Purged 5 books ...and even if only 5..it made a difference in how the bookcase arrangement appeared. Dusting it's new neatness made me smile.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 04:37 PM  
DCW

I look at the smallest decluttering project and tackle it. Amazing is the stuff I have saved or really not "saved". I think I didn't want to tackle it and it became a paper monster. I have some more small drawers to tackle with who knows what inside.

I have a hall closet which is a day off from work and order pizza project.

Slowly but surely, I am eating my elephant.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 01:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
bzar, I wish we had a bulky furniture pick up in our area! However, anything we put out at the curb does get taken by people who scour the neighborhood for things.

I ordered an Amazon Basics shredder that is coming today. We are expecting a blizzard, so I will have plenty of time to go through the mountain of papers we have.
Hi Sherry!! how are you doing? been thinking of you.

bulky pick-up used to do it on a scheduled basis without having to make and appointment. but i think it was difficult to fit everything into their truck, so they started this pick-up process where you need to sign up on-line, and i think each address is limited to 3 pick-ups/year or something like that. it's somewhat inconvenient.

i also listed the small desk as a free-cycle on Craigslist - it was sitting there for about a week with no takers! so we just included it with our pick-up for the armoire.

my report:

I cleaned up the laundry area. this area has a large plastic storage shelf, and DH leaves boxes of stuff in front of the shelf rather than organize it, so i consolidated a bunch of the contents and shifted things around on the shelves. there's still more purging to be done on the shelves, but as DCW said - it's a "day off from work and order pizza" kind of declutter.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 05:10 PM  
Vantreesta

I haven't been able to maintain focus on anything this afternoon so I'm flitting around here and there. I put away some LED candles and tea lights that I had left out for a little longer after Christmas but am now tired of. I was going to catalog the movies I kept of my mom's but realized the spreadsheet isn't on my new laptop yet so I gave up on that for now. I decided to tackle the collection of bags and purses I have. It's funny, I don't use regular purses (I carry a tactical backpack as my purse, previously I carried a Russian breadbag I found in the military surplus ) and yet I can't seem to part with these few little purses I still have. I find myself looking at them wondering what I can use them for instead of purses! Do you guys ever do that? Look for ways to justify keeping smthg you never use but might want some day??
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 05:23 PM  
DCW

I am cutting back on a lot of stuff in our home. I try not to buy anything unless I am taking out stuff too. I don't switch purses too often. I have to go thru my shoes and donate my high heels that I will never wear again.

We went thru DD stuff and made a summer gift box of craft items for a friend's child plus we added a cookie mix. She was so excited to get stickers, poster board, crayons, kiddie books, and to learn how to bake cookies. It was great to see her smile and laugh especially after a school year of Covid.
Old 02-02-21, 08:11 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
We went thru DD stuff and made a summer gift box of craft items for a friend's child plus we added a cookie mix. She was so excited to get stickers, poster board, crayons, kiddie books, and to learn how to bake cookies. It was great to see her smile and laugh especially after a school year of Covid.
This is so thoughtful. It's nice to be able to get rid of things and make someone happy at the same time. Plus less to go to the landfill.
I have started the long process of going through old photos of our kids that were taken in the pre-digital era. We will scan them but DH has been slow in doing that so I am going to have him show me how to use the photo quality scanner today. I have 4 boxes to go through. I have already tossed photos and started a "to scan" pile.
This wasn't on my decluttering project to-do list for the next few weeks/months but I was looking for some old photos of my parents, found these boxes and decided to tackle it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 08:23 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I am cutting back on a lot of stuff in our home. I try not to buy anything unless I am taking out stuff too. I don't switch purses too often. I have to go thru my shoes and donate my high heels that I will never wear again.

That is so kind! I love that idea!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 12:05 PM  
DCW

I am so thankful our county has a bulky trash pickup. We have had pickups throughout the years. Someone dumped a tire in our neighborhood so I picked it up and bulky trash has a tires only pickup. Eyesore gone!
Old 02-02-21, 03:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Big changes in my house today. I recycled a shoe box that was falling apart and replaced it with one I had saved this summer.

I love the idea of putting together a gift box like that, DCW. Very cool.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 06:52 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
ILook for ways to justify keeping smthg you never use but might want some day??
Yess ..haha!

I have a Mary Kay makeup box that I used to use quite a bit but don't anymore. Has slots for eyeshadows, a mirror and area for more makeup. I can't seem to part with the cute pink lil thing. Lol!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter