Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-21, 07:18 PM  
Leonana

Today was Fine Toning from L&S. It’s easier, 31 minutes with light weights. Still challenging at times. The moves are different from Jessica’s other light weight workouts. Kind of a cross between a fusion workout and her WS1 Prehab Routine. At least that’s my impression. She did strengthening moves for the wrists, ankles and feet. Some balance work. There was a slow, controlled full body push up, and her form was perfect! There were full sit-ups with weights, and I did it! Not great form, but I was happy. I guess the weights helped, and I believe WS3 improved my core strength.

Donna, thanks for the reassurance, I appreciate it. I have posted in the L&S decision and review threads. The reviews are positive. I guess the moral of the story is I should let the system speak for itself. I can’t believe your dd is almost 18! Seems like yesterday you said she was 14.

Pam, Jessica’s balance moves have saved me from falling more than once! The Tai Chi sound great for that.
Old 03-07-21, 01:43 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
How are you all? Happy weekend! I skipped a workout yesterday (even though I'm supposed to work out every day since I'm doing Pahla!) but today I did Pahla's January challenge Day 5. It was another good one. I still feel like this is not enough, but as soon as I think that, she addressed it in the video and convinced me again that it is enough. I'm going to try to stick with it through March.

Sherry, thanks for the reviews on Lift and Shift. Did you get the purple player straightened out or are you streaming from the website? I hope you are successfully ignoring everyone in the GD. I can't even read the reviews over there since there is so much crankiness sprinkled among the few helpful posts. I bought the set this afternoon so I can start it when I finish with Pahla.

Pam, thanks for the info on David-Dorian Ross. I am always looking for the perfect thing for stress relief. I might try some of his youtube offerings. I also just got access to all the Great Courses through my library with an app called Kanopy, so I will look him up on there. Side note: Kanopy is a free ap that is available through some libraries. It has tons of films (lots of foreign, documentaries, and old classics) along with all the Great Courses. I will never, ever, ever be bored! You may want to see if your local library has it since it is such a bargain! (free!)

Donna, you are smart to try Trifecta Pilates for a month before you commit. I have a few subscriptions that I barely use and I hate to waste my money when I never use them. I'm looking at you Healthy U TV!! Ugh.

Wishiwasinhawaii, good idea to get a second opinion. Do you have to do both eyes at once? At least it is quick and curable!

OK, I'm going back to enjoying my weekend except our water heater is leaking all over the garage. Ugh, hope to get a plumber in first thing on monday.

take care,
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I switched things up today and did a workout w/Ellen:

Ellen - Sleek Sculpt Express
Trifecta Pilates - Hip Stretches

Both were good routines. Ellen's - wow - I forgot how high my HR can get w/ the overhead movements w/ weights. Not shoulder friendly, though. But, my shoulders are pretty good...in terms of no issues w/ them.

I also enjoyed Beth's hip stretches.

Yesterday DD and I walked after her eye appointment and today we will likely walk again - nice day out - sunny but chilly/windy - but better than it has been!

Not much new to report, I like the look of Ellen's weekly rotation this week so I may do her workouts w/ Pilates and it looks like the weather will be mostly good so I hope to get some dog walks in, too.

So...I downloaded Jessica's program guide, I can't help but feel tempted, but I know it isn't for me, at least right now- it may never be - b/c i prefer to mix things up more....but you know, FOMO and all... LOL! Maybe I need to make a deal w/ myself to get through WS 1, 2, and 3 before I can buy it.

Liz - I know, it is easy to feel that Pahla's workouts aren't enough - I struggle with that, too. I do think there is a cumulative effect to doing them consistently, though and it is nice to get it done in a short amount of time w/out feeling wiped out. I got an offer today for $2 for Get Healthy U! They have added more workouts and program than when I initially subscribed...but I think I will try to hold off...at least for a little while, LOL! I like Chris though. I just hate that you have to call to cancel. That is annoying.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 01:00 PM  
Leonana

Nothing yet, I think I will do a yoga stretch this evening.

I forgot to add that I did do the 5 minute L&S Stretch. It was good, but I like the 5 Minute Stretch from the Stretch dvd a bit better. It has the moves I prefer, so purely a preference thing. However, I guess the L&S Stretch is geared to the system.

I forgot to mention that I did tweak my back with Fine Toning. I did the ab move that is lifting the glutes with the legs in the air. That always tweaks my lower back. Definitely one to skip next time.

I find that L&S doesn't wear me out as much as WS3. With WS3, I was tired all day. However with L&S, I have more energy during the day, and I get tired around bedtime, then sleep like a log. I think it's because it moves slower than WS3, and WS3 had some tough cardio. But I only did 30 minutes of the first long workout. I'm sure once I do it all, I might be beat!

Liz, sorry about the water heater. I hope it isn't too expensive. My husband replaced our water heater, he's pretty handy. Unless we need to weld one of the pipes, that's out of his expertise. No, I still don't have L&S on my PP app. I found one other person in the FB Group who has the same issue. Fortunately, most people didn't have any problems. I can still stream it through the L&S website, and I did my workout yesterday on my tablet. The problem is I can't download it to a device, or stream it to my Roku without the PP app. TBH, I like the tablet better than my tv, however, it would be nice to have all my PP digital workouts in the same place. I am talking to support, their suggestions haven't worked for me, although they worked for others. Apparently, they have the weekends off, I haven't heard anything from them after Friday afternoon. And that's awesome you have the program! So far, I like it a lot. I like it better than WS3. It's challenging, you use heavy weights, but it moves much slower and is more controlled. I like that a lot. And yes, I'm staying out of GD, lol. I am reading the newer L&S review thread and decision thread, but staying out of the rest. And true, there always has to be that one cranky person, ha ha.

Donna, I think L&S is for people who are looking to use heavier weights and build up strength and endurance, and of course muscle. I do get muscle aches and soreness, and I sometimes think of doing gentler workouts. But I need harder workouts as a stress buster, lol. And I like the challenge of improving my strength.
Old 03-07-21, 05:52 PM  
donnamp

oh my gosh - I'm feeling like I want to cave on Jessica's new set....I'm not sure if I want to be talked into it or out of it!

Sherry - are you starting the rotation officially on March 15th? Or have you started it already? I already have a purple player account - I bought some Gilad workouts and that is the format he uses.

I'm interested now b/c it is different from anything I have done recently. The weather is getting better so for "cardio" i can walk outside.....also, since I'm still working from home, the longer workout times are more doable....and looking more closely, the workouts are not all long...and none are an hour long...

Oh my...

LOL!

Donna
Old 03-07-21, 06:25 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

No workout today. My plantar fasciitis is acting up in one of my feet and I can't do much, other than I rode my stationary bike. I've been stretching it out and using the foam roller it's starting to feel better so I'm hoping this won't last more than a few days. I feel like I'm falling apart!

Donna, I feel the same way! lol. Reading Sherry's experience so far and the other posts in the GD thread where people are posting their reviews, makes me want to get this, even though I can't do it right now.

Sherry, Thanks for posting your experiences. It's great that you don't feel worn out after these.

Liz, Yes, I have to have both eyes done, but I can do them at the same time or one at a time. I want to wait and see what the second opinion doc says.

Waves, Pam!
Old 03-07-21, 06:34 PM  
Leonana

I've only done two, but so far they are different from what Jessica has done before. It can be modified - no step, no sliders, lighter weights, etc. Jessica also said you can do it every other day. If it's too tiring for me, that is what I will do. Looking at the first month of the schedule, she alternates the longer workouts with the shorter workouts. With the exception of the Upper Body and Lower Body workouts, that seems to be the only time you have two long workouts together.

There is a 60 day money back guarantee. So you can try it, and if it's not for you, get your money back.

I know one reason I'm enjoying it so much is because it's new. This year has been such a slog, as we all know, it's just nice to do something different.

However, I spoke too soon earlier. I am tired today. After doing WS3 for four weeks, I need a recovery week. I’m going to take it easier this week, and start L&S on the 15th.

Donna, lol on the enabling. It is different from her previous workouts. I'm planning on starting officially on March 15. I started earlier because I couldn't wait to try it.

wishiwasinhawaii, Janessa from the FB Group normally does Beachbody workouts. She said that L&S didn't wipe her out as much as her other workout systems. I was energetic yesterday, but I did get tired today. As I said above, I think I need a recovery week after WS3 before I start L&S. I’m sorry about your plantar fasciitis. I hope it clears up soon.
Old 03-07-21, 11:51 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I didn't get my workouts in until this evening. I only managed to do Lee's 30 Day Challenge (Days 3 & 4) as well as David-Dorian's Tai Chi Fit Over 50 40 minute workout.

I do want to try Jessica's newest program, but I had wanted to do WS 3 first. I might still pull the trigger on the last day (March 14th) just so I have it when everyone starts the first round on the 15th. Maybe I'll push WS 3 to another month. I haven't quite decided, but I'm feeling left out reading all the posts.

I usually get the latest Cathe and Kelly workouts, but the only reason I'm holding back on Jessica is because of the delivery system (purple player.) It might not be an issue for me, at all. Still, there's like four 50 minute workouts and that's not exciting for me to do straight strength for that length of time. I dunno.

Liz, sorry about the water heater. Homeownership is a blessing, but continual maintenance.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 12:51 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
Just a quick check-in with Pahla's January challenge Day 6 done. I was happy that as soon as I purchased Lift and Shift it showed up in my purple player. I have a few other Jessica workouts that I purchased with the purple player in the past, so I was happy there were no glitches.

I joined Pahla's FB group called "Get Your GOAL". I figured since I am doing this month of workout's with her, I'd go all in. She also has a podcast, so I could potentially listen to a LOT of Pahla if I want. We'll see how it goes. It is $25.00 a month. She also has a public FB group but I haven't figured out the difference between the two groups yet except for the number of members.

I'll check in on personals tomorrow, I hope you all have had a good weekend. I'm going to try to get my head on straight to go back to work --hello Monday!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 08:59 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday DD and i went for our long walk - it wasn't too bad out there. This week we are in for some nice warm temps. yay.

Today, so far, has been:

CS 1125 - it was something for the spine and was a standing and barre workout. A fairly large lizard made an appearance in the background! LOL!

Trifecta Pilates - Strength Pilates - Floor segment. This is an hour long workout that includes standing, chair and floorwork. Fortunately, there are time stamps that tell you where each segment begins/ends. I opted for the floorwork today - it did include some work using a chair as a prop as well as gliding discs (I did not use gliding discs and was fine)

Later today may be a walk and/or Pahla.

On the Jessica dilemma - I am getting more tempted. These do sound like they are slower lifting workouts than what she normally does - so it may be something that I would like. Jessica's strength workouts have typically been my least favorite of hers but I'm wondering if it is more the style of strength she was doing in those workouts and these sounds more like a slower paced lifting program. Still, I also know that I have bad exercise ADD... And, I am not sure how I feel about a program that is very light on cardio - I am such a cardio girl.

So - I guess my pros are---

- it may be different in terms of the lifting style and i may enjoy it
- on looking at the rotation again it does seem to be fairly balanced with mobility and core work included (she does include optional cardio days - and i know I would at least walk a few times a week)
- the 60 day money back guarantee does mean I can try it out for a full 2 months and still get my money back....
- with working from home I do have the time to do these longer workouts and they are all under an hour, although at least two are 50 min....

My cons are -

- Exercise ADD - can I really stick to it?
- Will I be able to reign myself in and not add cardio in - except for the recommended days? I think avoiding trying to add more and do more may be key not only to results but staying injury free
- Will they be just too hard for me and will I end up discouraged?

My neutrals:

Purple Player - I use it, it is fine, but I prefer the DVD format - what happens if PP goes under some day?
I understand that you may not b able to download these since she does offer the 60 day guarantee - I mean, what would stop someone from downloading and then asking for a refund

The price - it is a little expensive, but I do have the ability to get a gift card from my workplace wellness program that would cover the cost...

Ok - I am no closer to deciding, lol!

Liz - yikes on the hot water heater - yuck! I didn't realize that Pahla charged for her goal group, I guess it makes sense since she is probably doing more personalized services there. She has her podcast (Fitness Matters) and she used to have a Let's Run Podcast, too, you can probably find those, too, the are on You Tube for sure. I don't know much about FB - b/c I don't belong to it. It sounds like she is posting the Q&A from Facebook on spotify and other places...though... and she does a monthly Q&A on You Tube. I find her podcasts and Q&A's to be very helpful, both in terms of fitness stuff and life in general stuff. And I do like the simplicity of her workouts. I do suffer from " it is not enough" though - and I know that is my mind chatter.

Pam and wishiwasinhawaii - as you can see, I'm hopeless! LOL! Maybe one day this week I will pull out her Get Strong workout and see what I think, I suspect that is what she has released to date that is most like this program.

Sherry - good idea to take a recovery week - you can actually follow her recovery schedule using the new workouts. I am probably kidding myself in thinking that I'm not going to cave, LOL. I'll probably be joining you on Monday in this challenge, LOL...

Waves, everyone --

Donna

Hope everyone has a good Monday!!

Donna

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy