Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-24-20, 12:12 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

monday - flexibility for athletes
today - joyce bottoms up gold plus lower body + back, 10 min up to the beat

well I think our thanksgiving is ruined. DD boyfriend was guilt-ed into visiting his family for early TG. he didn't want to go because they are not at all careful, his parents want to get covid. So they do not mask, and had many people over. So, of course yesterday he found out he was exposed. Even with a negative test, the appropriate protocol is to wait 14 days.

ebianco - hope you have good news on the interview.

buzzer - horse trials are outdoors so were able to restart fairly soon. The season is over because of the weather.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 06:04 AM  
Buzzer

MTV Pilates... DONE!

So I was going through my DVD's, and found this one. It's a purple disc (not purple on the playing side, purple writing) so I have been calling the green disc one, which I have looked closer now and it's called "Pilates MIX" and this one is called simply "Pilates". All the earlier checkins where I did "Pilates" were actually "Pilates Mix". Who knew this working out would be so complicated???

So I did it. It was hard!! I loved it. They are at what looks like a pool deck or a nice outdoor patio area. The setting is really relaxing and the workout, although hard, was good. I think I am having trouble getting in touch with my abs, which I can probably harken back to LB's birth. I don't think I have truly been able to engage them fully since then. I used to have no trouble with so many of these pilates moves, and now I cheat just to do them and struggle through. I am literally using a yoga strap and a playground ball to cheat and still having trouble! Man, I'm telling ya. Either I'm way weak or something has changed.

So I struggled, but did it all. I cheated. Lots. But I felt it all. No soreness today though. Which makes me wonder, is the cheating the reason? or is it because the muscle is just gone so there's nothing to get sore? or what is going on? I will persevere though.

We ended up with about 5-6" of snow yesterday. LB played with the dogs, we went to the ladies house and LB got to use a wood burner to put our name in a piece of wood she's been working on. We spent almost 2 hours there. Then we came home and got school done, cleaned the kitchen so it's virtually spotless, and watched "Grumpy cat's worst Christmas Ever" movie. It's a goodwill score from last year, and probably one of the best goodwill scores ever. It is the funniest movie!! I need to see if there were other Grumpy Cat movies. I remember she died last year, so sad. Grumpy Cat is cute.

I have that muscle in my back bugging me again. All evening, and now this morning. I hate that. It's right between my scapula and spine, and it's like someone is poking their thumb in as hard as they can on a knot. Hopefully it gets better as the day goes on!

Today we have the ladies house, then we will spend the rest of the day doing the garage. I will make up a worksheet for LB to do so we can get through our lessons.

Here's my Mom confession... I took away her iPad because of her lazy issue. She doesn't use it a lot, but does use it when she's falling asleep and when she wakes up in the morning. Well, she is reading books now instead. She is in the midst of "The Naughty little Puppy" and even asked me to put the book in her room last night (she had brought it out to the living room). She is actually not even missing the iPad. She has a quite a few books she can get through, and I think she is really enjoying reading before bed! I used to read a book before I went to bed (not a whole book, but a chapter or so) and now she is doing that. She is getting reading done without me pushing her, and she is enjoying it!!! I love that! She was earning iPad time with her work, and now she doesn't even care how much time she's earned. it's like we have turned over a new leaf!! My punishment to her has ended as a blessing to us both!

Eventmom: Sorry about the Thanksgiving. That stinks!! Hopefully he stays asymptomatic. Maybe you can postpone Thanksgiving to a weekend after his quarantine? I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. So does that mean your DD has been exposed and can't come too?

Ebianco: I hope you guys have fun Thanksgiving plans! AND that you get some time off. I hope you get a 4 day weekend and can use it to unwind.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 03:02 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Joyce BUG+ upper body + kathy smith walking 13 min

buzzer - yes, dd has been around him (they live together) she gets tested every 2 days at work so we'll talk to them tomorrow and decide to hold it tomorrow or wait until the weekend. We wouldn't want her to come to TG and leave him alone in their apartment so we'll see what happens with her covid test today and talk to them tomorrow. My IBS has been acting up so waiting a couple of days might not be terrible.
great job on weaning her from the ipad LOL! Looks like it was a good approach!

hi ebianco!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-20, 03:28 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Catching up on my workouts:

Wednesday: Fitprime Strong Bear with Keli. I love this one! My mind was really restless because I was REALLY busy on Wednesday, so it dragged a little bit, but it's still a great workout.

Yesterday: Pre-Thanksgivng workout Firm Volume 3, I haven't done a classic Firm in forever it seems, but I really felt like doing this one. It was great!

Today: Post-Thanksgiving workout Firm Light Aerobics Mix (aka Not so Tough Aerobics, I think?) the same one I did about a month ago with the bizarre Volume 5 warm up, then I did a few sections, about 30 minutes worth. Then I did 20 minutes of Ellen Barrett's Yogini and made it even stretchier than Ellen, and that was great!

Tomorrow will be a full length Cathe and then a Pure Barre on Sunday.

Buzzer and Eventmom Thank you for your well wishes!! I haven't heard back on my interview but I'll let you guys know! I'm still happy with my job even if I don't get promoted, but still fingers crossed! I am tentatively optimistic that work will start to slow down, I finished a huge project on Wednesday and "shouldn't" be too busy in December. I'm also taking a lot of leave that expires at the end of the year.

Eventmom Sorry your Thanksgiving was ruined!! I don't know how people can be totally careless. I only had about half the family home, some of the family wanted to play it safe and stay home (and they have colds), and we didn't really wear masks, but it was a group of only about 6 adults. And an appropriate amount of food, I only had one dish of leftovers!

Buzzer I really enjoyed the "Grumpy cat's worst Christmas Ever" movie as well. The actress that voices Grumpy Cat was the snarky one from Parks & Rec. Great role for her.

Your MTV workout sounds awesome! I can find longer pilates workouts to be a little boring, but they are really the best investment of time in your core strength. I never regret adding more pilates to my routine.

Did you have a nice Thanksgiving?
Old 11-27-20, 03:39 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - hillary burnett intermediate pilates + 30 kendall hogan cardio I found on youtube.
today - JV bug+ upper body + 15 min petra's bootcamp boogie.

well on top of DD's Bf being exposed to covid, I had intestinal pain most of yesterday so I would not have been a fun thanksgiving person. no telling when we can have dd and bf over - my husband feels like he needs to be super careful and my daughter may be working Sat - Wed on this film.

ebianco - my daughter's bf family really thinks covid is no big deal and actually sort of want to get it. so not a big surprise someone was sick with it! sounds like you had a nice gathering.

buzzer - hope you had a fun thanksgiving.

ok - now I've got to go find grumpy cat's worst christmas eve somewhere!
Old 11-28-20, 06:53 AM  
Buzzer

Body Beast Arms... DONE! (yesterday)
Pilates For Men with the ball... DONE! (Wednesday)
Body Beast Legs... DONE! (Wednesday)

I also started another random pilates, I don't remember which one, but it was boring, the VoiceOver lady was soothing and kinda monotone, and I knew it wouldn't hold my attention. So I took it out and went with PFM instead, which I have decided I absolutely LOVE. The VoiceOver guy is nice but not yoga nice, the guys are working hard, it's short, but very thorough. I like it a lot!

I did it after BB Legs, which was reallllly good but also realllllly bad. Really good because man, it really finished off my legs! Really bad because I was sore for two days. They do the leg series with your hip on a playground ball so you are balanced on the ball and your elbow. It was so hard! My abs were screaming! I loved it! However it also gave me some sciatic type pain in my hip so I spent all Thanksgiving either not comfortable sitting down, or stretching out my hip so it felt OK. It only lasted for that one day, but it was very uncomfortable. I don't know if that means I should workout more like that or spend more time stretching to make it so it doesn't do that! I love PFM though. I think it's now my new favorite pilates.

The legs I increased my extension and curl weights, and on the lunge forward and back I instead did lunge on a step and back. I don't add weight on the lunges, I instead focus on using the muscles. My legs were totally done after the workout! It was perfect. I loved it!

I am seriously sitting here trying to remember what workout I did on Thanksgiving morning. I don't remember! I know I worked out, but I don't remember what I did. It was a shorter, 40 minute workout though, it wasn't a body beast, it wasn't pilates. I didn't do yoga... maybe I did a Leslie walking workout. hmmmm.....

Anyhow, I worked out. We ended up going to my parents' house, just our family and them. My husband fixed their computers so we were there until after 8pm. It was fun though! Small get together but good. Since they are talking about moving out of state, we decided to go see them for the holiday in case it's their last that we can share with them here.

It was a really nice visit and great time. I'm glad we did it.

LB is starting a new martial arts program. We did a "2 weeks free" trial, and since DH really wants her in martial arts and I like it because our friends are signing up so I will be motivated to go, I am going to sign her up on Monday. Having friends makes everything better! LB is punching and kicking like she doesn't remember a doggone thing from her previous martial arts experience, and that's annoying but it was almost 3 years ago I took her there. However, she was there for 3 years so I was hoping she'd remember something! Oh well. She will learn.

So now we have the horse with the lady, violin, and martial arts. I also will probably be signing her up for 4H because she really liked the shooting club that we tried out and also cake decorating, so although that's a smaller commitment of time, it'll be something else. I am reaching the age of "cart the kid around a lot"!! HA! I knew this day would come. It's all stuff I want her to know and learn though. All stuff that will make her a good, safe, confident teen and adult with skills she can use. So I will make the commitment now as an investment in her future.

I will press on with my workout though. Come 7am, I close it all up, get on my slippers and go to the workout room. Every morning. So far, none of the commitments we are making will change that, and quite honestly that's the most precious time of my day for me, so I will protect it!

Eventmom: I 'm glad you guys can do the Thanksgiving another time. Sounds like it's working out for both of you this way! I'm glad she's working too. that's a blessing in these crazy times. Grumpy cat Worst Christmas Ever is a cheesy movie, but it's hilarious. I think you would roll your eyes but love it too! HA!

Ebianco: I remember parks and rec and watched it once, it was really funny! I don't know why I didn't keep watching it! Maybe I'll have to look that show up again. I'm glad you'll be happy either way with the potential job. I also hope the potential job will help you guys out with the financial hit you took. Enjoy your time off this month though. You really need it! Hopefully it works out this time that things slow down and you can enjoy the Christmas season.

So today will be a pilates or yoga or Leslie walk workout. My arms are tired from the arms workout, my legs are feeling better. However, with my new commitment to pilates and yoga to help out when I am getting so sore and also to help my flexibility (which I have been talking of trying todo for YEARS), I am doing one of those today. Plus we are working on the garage today all day. Let's get 'er done! I just am not feeling like it's ever going to be done. We'll see.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-28-20, 04:00 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

JV bottoms up gold plus lower body & back
after I rode and dealt with stuff in the barn I stretch and did qi gong.

buzzer - pilates is like that for me too, I only like a few that I've tried. I need my workout time too but it was much easier once DD was old enough to get herself ready for school.

hi ebianco!
Old 11-29-20, 03:45 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi All,

Finishing my workout week:

Yesterday-Cathe Low Impact Series Trisets, I did the scrambled total body timesaver premix for about a 50 minute workout. I didn't need to worry about abs because she had some in the main workout. I didn't like the music but I really enjoyed the variety of exercises in this one. She used the stability ball a lot and the exercises were really dynamic. I liked that she alternated lower and upper body (on my premix anyway) and really kept my heart rate up.

Today-I warmed up with the long 10 minute warm up/first dance on the Jazzercise Burlesque DVD. I remembered it was REALLY easy so it was a good choice since I'm really low on energy today. Then I did warm up through seat on Pure Barre Sculpted Abs 1.

Eventmom I haven't done Hillary Burnett in a really long time but I think I still have her intermediate or advanced DVD!

I didn't realize there were people out there that actually wanted to get covid! My husband thinks it's nothing worse than the flu, and that the media has hyped it up to more than it is (I definitely take it more seriously)...but at least he isn't actively trying to get it.

Buzzer Those sound like a lot of great activities for LB!! Hopefully she will remember some of her previous martial arts training. Either way I hope she has fun and gets to hang out with friends!

My 5-day Thanksgiving hiatus is nearing an end (I'm technically off tomorrow but still have to work a little bit) but thankfully it's just the beginning of the long calm days I should have off (really off) in December.
Old 11-29-20, 04:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

eoin finn power yoga for happiness one of the shorter workouts + dancey moves from fitprime.

raining and not nice so I didn't ride a horse today

ebianco - I have both the intermediate and advanced of hers and kept them. I don't do pilates too often but like her practices. I don't know if dd's boyfriend's parents are actively trying to get covid but they have told him they'd like to get it then they'd be over it. When I read about the statistics on those who remain ill for extended periods it's seems like a faulty approach. We have faculty in March get it and they were bedridden for 3 weeks full weeks, not sure how long until they were up and about. One of them still doesn't look 'good' but we haven't spoken to him to find out if he has other lingering effects.
Old 11-30-20, 06:50 AM  
Buzzer

Hip Hugger Abs... DONE!
Basic Barre in the same series... DONE!

this was the ones done by Lotte Berke. I still have shoulders to do in my body beast rotation, however we were going to be working on the garage all day and my main job is "shovel gal" so I didn't want to tire them out before I shoveled! So I went with these two workouts. The basic barre is pretty basic for sure. Probably 10 pulses of each exercise. It was fun though and I found my form again (mostly) for barre. The hip hugger abs I remember was a great workout... and it was! I had fun doing it. I used a ball behind my back for the exercises though, since my neck takes a beating with Pilates and barre. I had and still kinda have that muscle between my scapula and spine that is bugging me, and with the shoveling in my future I didn't want to aggravate it.

I did modify a bit. Instead of 20 pushups on the second workout (I had already done them in the first), I did planks and focused on my abs. Instead of tricep dips, which kill my wrists because my wrists are horrible anymore, I did that stretch in yoga where you lift your hind end up as high as you can into a table top. So I changed a bit to suit my needs.

Overall, it was what I needed. Today is another potential shoveling day.. DH has ordered two dump trucks of dirt, and if it gets delivered I will need to help shovel it around the foundation. So it'll be another pilates or yoga day. Tomorrow I should be able to get back to my lifting!!

Eventmom: so when are you guys going to be able to have your Thanksgiving? After doing the MTV pilates and liking it, I went through and pulled out all of my pilates. I was so excited to do pilates again. Then I realized that not all Pilates is fun! I need to go through and get rid of the ones that aren't. Like Yoga, I don't like all yoga either. I am tired of 100's in pilates, and tired of sun salutations in yoga. I hate foofy talk ("touch the soul of your inner child, open up your heart to the love and light that is the universe" kinda stuff) That pretty much kills 99% of all the workouts in those forms. I am definitely more of the athletic type workout person. I like the "I'm probably yelling too much for yoga, but this is P90X yoga my brother!" style like Tony Horton. That always cracks me up!

Ebianco: I did Trisets for a while and loved it! I loved the use of the ball. I forget about the ball and that workout reminded me to use it and it's good!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14