Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-14, 02:36 PM  
cristinalatina

OT - Gas leak emergency

Friends, I need advice from you all who are more familiar with gas than myself.

There is works taking place outside my house, and today a worker operating a tractor broke the main gas pipe. He knocked on my door to let me know. I could smell gas and hear the sound of a very big leak outside!

In my panicked state, I just put the baby in the car and drove away before Phoenix Gas representatives could get to the area. My husband says I would have been better off staying at home and shutting all the windows. He says that the spark of my engine nearby (leak was a few feet away from my car) could have blown away the site.

Damage is all fixed now and home is certified clear by Phoenix Gas. However, I am terrified just thinking that I put my baby in danger! Could you ladies more familiar with gas emergencies just let me know what a stupid thing that was on my behalf?
Old 10-03-14, 02:42 PM  
CharM

You were thinking about your baby's safety, no need to be hard on yourself for what could have happened. Honestly, I don't think it would have occurred to me to stay indoors if I could smell it. But I'm glad you brought this up because even though it's a rare occurrence, we should learn what to do when it happens.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 02:51 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I'm assuming you drive a fairly modern car...not something from the 70s? And it doesn't backfire? I don't know if the risk from the spark from a properly maintained internal combustion engine out weights the risk of it all blowing from something else (someone lighting a cigarette not thinking or unable to smell the gas?) Really, I think you did the right thing, because I think the greater risk was harm from inhalation than of you blowing the site from starting the car. The concentration of the gas would have to be pretty high for the spark from your car's engine to blow the site.

Last edited by beyond.omega; 10-03-14 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixed spelling to make this make more sense
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 02:58 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

not stupid at all!

I'd have been out of there with an arm full of felines asap
Old 10-03-14, 03:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I would have run with my baby also, as far as I could get from the gas. The little one could succumb so quickly. Don't feel bad.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 03:36 PM  
antbuko

I think you did the right thing AND it's only natural that you are now worried that maybe you did the wrong thing. Anything to protect baby, right?

I've never heard of any gas leak emergency in my neck of the woods in which authorities advised residents not to drive.
Old 10-03-14, 03:36 PM  
pbnj

There honestly was no good choice here, except perhaps to run down the street. What if someone else drove by and ignited the gas? It was a pickup truck that was the ignition source for the horrible BP Texas City accident which killed several people. Even "modern" cars can cause explosions, and vehicles are not allowed into processing units at chemical plants or refineries without a special permit.

IMO, if you could hear the gas leak, it is a significant leak, and you need to get the h*** out of there.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 03:51 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

A gas leak happened exactly the same way at the building I worked at downtown a number of years ago. It was near the intersection of two busy streets so there were plenty of cars driving by, parked cars starting up, etc. and no explosion. The building was evacuated, same as what you did, and all ended well. I think you made the right choice.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 04:15 PM  
cristinalatina

Μy friends, I really want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kind words. I was honestly feeling exhausted and pretty lousy. The situation is not entirely clear about what was the proper way to handle it. The funny part is, like beyond.omega says, I saw off the corner of my eye that same worker smoking while operating the machine...

Phoenix gas say that if there's a leak inside the house one should not use the cell phone from the house, not even to switch off the tv or other appliances for fear of sparks. In my case, the leak was outside (next to the front door and the garage) but their men did arrive in trucks (4 of them!!!) so who knows about the danger of driving nearby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj View Post
There honestly was no good choice here, except perhaps to run down the street. What if someone else drove by and ignited the gas? It was a pickup truck that was the ignition source for the horrible BP Texas City accident which killed several people. Even "modern" cars can cause explosions, and vehicles are not allowed into processing units at chemical plants or refineries without a special permit.

IMO, if you could hear the gas leak, it is a significant leak, and you need to get the h*** out of there.
I wanted to comment on this - I thought about running, but my son is 27lbs and the terrain around very steep and all muddy from raining all day long. I don't think I would have got too far running with him in my arms. My husband says he could smell gas from blocks away. As for the sound, it sounded exactly like the shower running when you're about to go in. My throat was burning by the time I got into the driver's seat!
Old 10-03-14, 04:26 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I would have done the same thing you did--If there was gas inside your home you were better off getting out of there.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote