Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-19, 01:20 PM  
meg39

Hi Lori!

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I have never been on Eliquis, but I was on Warfarin, and then Xarelto for 5 years. I hated Warfarin, simply because as you say, the dietary changes throw you off, and I was tired of going to the dr every week to get my finger pricked and the constantly changing doses. I was switched to Xarelto, and never had any side effects. I'm off it now, and I hope you don't have any side effects with the Eliquis.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 01:49 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, I really appreciate it, and honestly need it. It's been such a draining year that I feel utterly depleted and just long for my old life.

I had only been to the doctor once in the five years before this year, and this year has sent me to the ER 6 times, one CT scan, one MRI, upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, pill endoscopy, ERCP, gallbladder surgery, and now changing to this med. Diagnosed this year with: Leiden factor 5 blood clotting disorder (not a shock though since my dad has it, and now my son), severe anemia (also had no idea), severely low vitamin D (now I go to the tanning booth 2-3 times a week since I can't tolerate supps, so at least I don't look so pale), severe B12 deficiency, severely low ferritin, a gallbladder full of stones that needed surgery, and most recently a hiatal hernia. I knew none of these prior to April.

Hence my apprehension of trying Eliquis, I just can't take any more medical surprises...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 08:33 AM  
Lori_Michigan

So here's what happened on day one: Took one dose in morning, felt fine. Second dose with dinner, I had an allergic reaction to it with hives, itching from head to toe, headache, nausea, dizzy, red splotches all over. Had to go back to ER. Took a benedryl. Back to warfarin today with lovenox shots to bridge. I can't catch a break.

Ugh.
Old 12-10-19, 09:55 AM  
donnamp

OMG, Lori - I'm so sorry.
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 05:04 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
So here's what happened on day one: Took one dose in morning, felt fine. Second dose with dinner, I had an allergic reaction to it with hives, itching from head to toe, headache, nausea, dizzy, red splotches all over. Had to go back to ER. Took a benedryl. Back to warfarin today with lovenox shots to bridge. I can't catch a break.

Ugh.
Omg, so sorry Lori! I hope you're better today.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 05:21 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

(((Lori))), sorry the Eliquis did not work out for you. I hope you find a remedy for your ailments.
Old 12-10-19, 05:37 PM  
Vantreesta

Lori, I'm so sorry for all you've been through and such a drastic change to your life. I have no experience with blood thinners but just wanted to mention that I take Gentlesorb Iron from GNC and have never had stomach upset with it. This may not be helpful in your case and maybe you've already tried it, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Praying for improved health for you and a much better 2020.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 05:38 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Lori, I'm so sorry for all you've been through and such a drastic change to your life. I have no experience with blood thinners but just wanted to mention that I take Gentlesorb Iron from GNC and have never had stomach upset with it. This may not be helpful in your case and maybe you've already tried it, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Praying for improved health for you and a much better 2020.
Gosh, that's one I haven't tried yet (out of the probably 10 or so I've tried this year). Each one has said it was "gentle iron" and it still gave me horrible issues. I've tried heme iron (Proferrin), and that was supposed to be the best of the bunch, and since I couldn't digest it, it kind of ended up rotting out my stomach/intestines. I then tried carbonyl iron, which I felt great on for about three days, and then ended up with extreme gastro issues. Had to be close to a bathroom for days. Then I tried ferrous fumarate, again the same issues. Then I tried liquid ionic ferrous sulphate, which again, was supposed to be "gentle" and "well absorbed" and alas it was anything but that for me. I just placed an order for liposomal iron from Vinco, so we'll see what happens with that one. I'll also look into that one from GNC if that one gives me the same result.

I should put out another post to see what has worked for others here -- I doubt I'm the only one who has trouble with iron supps!
Old 12-11-19, 06:53 PM  
Vantreesta

Lori, what an ordeal! Has your doctor suggested anything else for the anemia, like food changes for more iron from your diet? I hope you can find smthg that works. I don't have any diagnosed GI issues (just some things I can't eat) but would say my stomach can be sensitive, so I may not be the best one to speak. Good luck!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 09:01 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
.......... I also lost a lot of hair on it, but that could also be from the anemia.

I tried every iron supplement I could, but every one of them ended up with the same constipation followed by diarrhea and just too much acid reflux from it (I also have a hiatal hernia that I recently just learned of ..................
Typically a doctor will prescribe iron infusions (IV delivery to lessen gastrointestinal upset) if a patient is severely anemic and cannot tolerate oral iron supplementation. Iron deficiency can increase clotting risk (this is diminished by your medication) so this is generally an important part of the treatment plan. Might be worth a discussion with your doctor---perhaps your doctor is not fully aware of your difficulties with oral iron?