Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-19, 10:44 AM  
Vantreesta

Anna, I can't quite walk 4 mph either. I went for a brisk walk with hills last wknd and tracked it with MapMyRun. My average speed was 3.8 mph. I'm 5'2" and I just feel it's not physically possible for me to walk 4 mph outside. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but the 3.8 felt like the fastest I can walk without starting a very slow jog. I can do 4 mph on the treadmill though for short bursts but it just feels unnatural to me.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 01:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I did it again today, with 140 BPM music going on, and by shortening my stride length, I was able to keep up.

for me, I need the beat to guide me as I am walking since it's the cumulative and consistent beat that allows me to maintain the 4 MPH pace.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 04:25 PM  
BunnyHop

Thank you both for the encouragement.

At that speed on the treadmill I'd be running, or at least slowly jogging.

Admittedly, I'm rebuilding my strength, still, but I do think my fastest walk is still slower than most.
Old 12-05-19, 07:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

fast walking requires good form. I know how trite that sounds, but basic things like keeping your big toes pointed forward and feet parallel to each other allows you to propel yourself forward more efficiently. aligning the in-step of your feet along an imaginary center line is another way to achieve efficient movement.

people whose feet turn out could be shortening their stride, and it would wear on your knees an hips.

another is rolling off of your feet rather than pounding up and down. rolling allows for maximizing your stride.

bending your elbows and swinging your arms in sync with your feet increases your speed as well.

try observing people as they are walking. it's amazing what you can pick up just by watching people walk.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 10:20 PM  
BunnyHop

Good form! Ah.

I walk with my toes turned in, not much to be done about it. Hadn't thought of how it might affect my speed, but it does sound right.

Alignment does make a difference.
Old 12-06-19, 06:33 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Anna, I can't quite walk 4 mph either. I went for a brisk walk with hills last wknd and tracked it with MapMyRun. My average speed was 3.8 mph. I'm 5'2" and I just feel it's not physically possible for me to walk 4 mph outside. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but the 3.8 felt like the fastest I can walk without starting a very slow jog. I can do 4 mph on the treadmill though for short bursts but it just feels unnatural to me.
This is so interesting to me. I’m 5’8” with long legs and 4 mph is a very comfortable walking pace for me (I can sustain it without feeling winded or over exerted) I used to be a runner but I stopped running in 2012 and walk almost daily.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 07:44 AM  
Rhonda

I bought the book just for some guidance and see if there are good tips. I also need a walking plan so hopefully there is something in the book for that.

I can walk comfortably at 3.8-3.9 and do 4.0. The fastest I have walked is 4.3 on the TM and that is pushing it.

I am trying to walk at least those 10,000 steps a day and so far this week I have done so, even if it means getting on the treadmill when I get home from work.

I was doing well with this goal, and then I was just getting what I was getting but I really need to stick with it.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 08:41 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
This is so interesting to me. I’m 5’8” with long legs and 4 mph is a very comfortable walking pace for me (I can sustain it without feeling winded or over exerted) I used to be a runner but I stopped running in 2012 and walk almost daily.
It isn't the breathing that keeps me from 4 mph it's apparently my legs. I'm a runner too so I never really get winded walking except sometimes on hills. I walk my dog 3 times a day so I'm pretty efficient at it and maintain good form. Maybe it's an excuse but I really just don't think my body is going to allow me to walk that speed outside and feel right.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 12-06-19, 09:24 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
It isn't the breathing that keeps me from 4 mph it's apparently my legs. I'm a runner too so I never really get winded walking except sometimes on hills. I walk my dog 3 times a day so I'm pretty efficient at it and maintain good form. Maybe it's an excuse but I really just don't think my body is going to allow me to walk that speed outside and feel right.
I don’t think it’s an excuse at all. I mostly walk alone but I used to walk with shorter women who were as fit or fitter than me and I would have to slow down just a smidge so they could keep up and it would be enjoyable for all. I think my long legs give me a slight advantage.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 11:03 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I don’t think it’s an excuse at all. I mostly walk alone but I used to walk with shorter women who were as fit or fitter than me and I would have to slow down just a smidge so they could keep up and it would be enjoyable for all. I think my long legs give me a slight advantage.
Thanks for that, Tracy! Sometimes when I read threads like this I feel like maybe I just don't try hard enough, but that walk last Friday really felt like I was pushing myself so I appreciate your input!

Tags
maffetone method, walking, walking speed