Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-11, 03:37 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Opinions on the One Rep Max Testing...

Forgive me for bringing this up if there's already been extensive discussion, but when I try to search it, the search engine deletes ONE and REP and I don't end up with any useful results.

I just got STS and am looking forward to starting it, but I'm thinking that's going to be weeks from now because it's going to take forever for me to do all the ORM testing! I did it for Disc One yesterday and it took me about fifteen minutes; I just can't see myself doing that for every single disc in the series, and it would all have to be done before I can even start.

So did anybody actually do this? Do you think it made a huge difference? Did you do some of them and use those to kind of guess at the rest? Any advice on how to shorten the process? It's striking me as a bit of a PITA and kind of turning me off the idea of doing this rotation.

TIA,
Donna H
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 03:41 PM  
RedPanda

There's a one-rep max predictor here.
Old 02-25-11, 03:43 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
There's a one-rep max predictor here.
Cathe also has this on her site, but in order to use it, you still have to go through each exercise and perform it with some weight in order to get the results, right? Or am I missing something?

Donna
Old 02-25-11, 03:48 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Here's the PDF for 1RM worksheet. 5 star is most important, 1 least. IIRC, most people said it took them 1-2 hrs to complete them.
http://cathe.com/tutorials/PDF/STS_1RM_Chart.pdf

I didn't do 1 Rep max. I've been working out for a long time, and I just grab the db based on the rep. I usually adjust my poundage on the second set (if any) or the next week.

ETA: Add link.
I also didn't want to make it more complicated than necessary...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 03:53 PM  
Jules

I am currently in my 2nd round of STS and I did do the 1RM testing for my first round.I have found it to be very helpful. Without knowing my 1RM, I am positive I would have underestimated what I should be lifting by quite a bit. It is also very helpful to know what weights I will need before each workout so I can set them up in advance. Meso 1 moves very quickly and there isn't much time to mess around.

I did my testing over the course of 2 days, starting with the 5 star exercises, then 4 star, etc. I skipped the 1 star exercises (and some 2 star also). As I did my testing, I made sure to alternate body parts. HTH!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 03:56 PM  
Fitstick

I skipped it and just jumped into the workouts..
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 03:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I did it for most exercises, but I have a friend who never did -- she just "eyeballed it" and by now she's gone through multiple rounds of STS. It worked for her. I think if it makes you more inclined to use the dvds, then just guesstimate. I know Cathe would gasp -- the whole thing is designed around it, but I think you can still get results without doing them.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 04:16 PM  
Hazel Porter

I did it for the fundamental, big lifts (e.g., squats, bicep curls, French presses, etc.) and then just plugged in similar numbers for the other "fancier" exercises (for instance, if you know your 1RM for a one-arm overhead tricep press, I don't see the value in doing a separate test for the side-leaning (over the ball) overhead tricep press).
Old 02-25-11, 05:00 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I skipped the whole thing, but I had been lifting weights prior to starting it so I had a good idea of what I could lift. Estimate what you think you'll lift, and then keep accurate records of the amount you're lifting and how you feel afterwards. You can then change your weight on the next set or the next workout. You won't always get it right, but you'll come close.

It's interesting to do the tests, but for busy people it may simly take too much time. Don't let it keep you from starting out. Also, as your strength improves, the one rep max will change anyway.
Old 02-25-11, 05:22 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

The worksheet is very helpful! Thank you!! After Shovel Max today, I went down and did about ten or so exercises; it was nice add-on . I think I'll just kind of do that until I'm through the bulk of the higher-starred ones. I do have a good sense for a lot of exercises, but there are just a few where I surprised myself. Thanks all!

Donna

Tags
1rm, one rep max, one rep max testing