Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-09, 07:37 PM  
pharma_gal

Im getting frustrated with 1RM for STS

I dont even know if Im doing these correctly and there are so many exercises..Im just getting so frustrated..Should I just start the program without doing the 1RM or should I stick it out and complete the 1RM tests? thanks.

R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 07:58 PM  
mtngoat

I think it is worth doing at least some of the 1RMs. Personally, it really pushed me to lift heavier than I would have 'guessed' I could.

I don't have my 1RM worksheet in front of me, but IIRC, they have marked the exercises with a star system to indicate level of priority. Those marked with 5 and 4 stars are most important to test. Those are the ones I started with and completed before starting STS.

eta: Cathe has included videos of each exercise in the Workout Manager. I can't log into the Workout Manager right now to give you better directions - but they're there!

HTH, Lori

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 05-13-09 at 08:03 PM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 08:03 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I did the same -- I did 1 RM for the 5 and 4 star moves, some of the 3 stars, and then used those as jumping off points as I got started. It did help to have them, though, and I was encouraged to lift much heavier.

Once you do get started though, you can plug in information as you do the workouts, so it does eventually get to the point where you have an estimate for most all of the moves.

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 08:10 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I didn't do the 1RM test. I have been lifting for a while, and know roughly what I can handle. I was right on Meso 1. Then I adjusted my weight for Meso 2 based on what I did on Meso 1. Meso 3, somehow, I was off -- too light. I might just have gain some strength. I had to increase my weight considerably.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 06:33 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

I strongly recommend the 1RM tests - even if you only do the 4 and 5 star exercises. I know the exercises and star ratings are listed in the STS guide.
Old 05-14-09, 07:37 AM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

I found the worksheets to be not well organized. They're ordered by the disk the exercise first appears in so you have to do a lot of looking around to find all of the exercises for a body part. I ended up putting them in a spreadsheet so I could sort them by body part and number of stars. I posted the spreadsheet a while back.
Old 05-14-09, 07:55 AM  
fit_fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj999 View Post
I ended up putting them in a spreadsheet so I could sort them by body part and number of stars. I posted the spreadsheet a while back.

That's a good idea!
fit_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 08:24 AM  
Castella

I got really frustrated too. So frustrated that I gave up on the whole thing!

Just kidding. I've had to keep delaying my planned rotation. A few other suggestions that I remember were:

The first two weeks of Meso 1 have most of the exercises you'll want for 1rm purposes. So you can go through those disks to get a sense of pace and to see the exercise.

Set aside a fairly long period of time if you want to do them all at once. I think people said it took them 1 1/2 to 2 hours and made for an impressive workout in its own right.

To add to the confusion, I'm still not clear about whether you are supposed to do your 1rm from one set, or whether you are supposed to do 3 conseq. sets with a rest between and take your 1rm from the last set (when you're fatigued and will fail sooner).
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 09:33 AM  
bearcatfan

I didn't do a single 1 RM and lived.

Seriously, it made it needlessly complicated for me. I just picked a weight I thought would work, put it down and then picked the next higher weight. I've been lifting for a while, as well, and knew I'd have a decent handle on things.
Old 05-14-09, 12:53 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Didn't do 1 Rep maxes either and I'm in meso 3 and lifting heavier than I have in 25 years, with the exception of the chest press. I really don't believe that I missed out on any results.

I'm not one for a one size fits all rule. Honestly, I don't have the desire or want to set aside the time for the 1rpm's. - that one is so cute, lol.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1rm, sts