Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-09, 02:44 AM  
DeltaMan727

Ballet Slippers

This may seem odd but I recently saw a picture of Jane Fonda leading a class and she had on Ballet Slippers, and I remember a while back I took an exercise class and one of the women also had a pair of ballet slippers on. I asked her why and she said she was able to move her feet freely and they did a good job of protecting and cushioning her feet in class. I was wondering if anyone here on VF ever wore ballet slippers for aerobics or just general exercise? Were they any good?

Geoff
DeltaMan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 05:54 AM  
Orlita

I've worn ballet slippers (for ballet). They don't cushion at all (Some have a smidge, some nothing).

For flexibility (plus cushioning/support), you'd do far better with dance sneakers. Especially if you're talking about doing aerobics in them.

I have Sanshas and love them. A friend visiting me here just bought a pair of So Danca brand here & loves them, too. The arch support is amazing. And you can point your foot really extremely.

But they will cost you more than ballet slippers. And make sure to try a lot of different brands. They all feel different to different people, and some brands will not speak to your foot at all, except to curse at it. There are threads here on dance sneakers/dancesneakers, if you end up wanting to pursue that.

Good luck!
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 09:17 AM  
cfgcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMan727 View Post
This may seem odd but I recently saw a picture of Jane Fonda leading a class and she had on Ballet Slippers, and I remember a while back I took an exercise class and one of the women also had a pair of ballet slippers on. I asked her why and she said she was able to move her feet freely and they did a good job of protecting and cushioning her feet in class. I was wondering if anyone here on VF ever wore ballet slippers for aerobics or just general exercise? Were they any good?

Geoff
I workout on carpet and use Vibram Fivefingers so my feet don't slip on "barefoot" workouts. I use them for cardio too (i.e. Leslie's walks, Lifeforce), but I don't do high impact. Here's a link to the ones I have:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_Sprint_f.cfm

I would think the ballet slippers would work well for "barefoot" type workouts. I tried different yoga socks too, but they didn't work so well as they would bunch up.
Old 05-25-09, 10:19 AM  
KathAL79

I'm with Orlita: I've used dance sneakers (also sometimes called "dansneakers," and the particular variety I have, from Bloch, are called "split sole sneakers") but never ballet slippers for dance aerobics. I like the additional support / cushion, but what's neat about dance sneakers is the pivot point on the toe box which is great for dance aerobics with lots of turns.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 10:56 AM  
carole r.

I used to always use ballet slippers, but tried capezio dance sneakers and have never gone back. Ballet slippers are better than bare feet, but not much. I even use my dance sneakers in ballet class. It's an adult ballet stretching class so no one cares. You can point your toe and they are very light weight.
Old 05-25-09, 10:57 AM  
ella

I've used this company to purchase my dance supplies. I do not have dance sneakers-yet! But now that I've read this thread I may have to invest in a pair. I usually exercise barefoot (even walking with Leslie) but am starting to think I need a little support. I just don't like the feel of traditional sneakers on my feet when I'm walking indoors.

http://www.discountdance.com/frame_s...age_WU_p1.html

Ella
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 11:42 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Tags
ballet shoes