Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-11, 01:33 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Mandy - Yikes! You're very fortunate; I'm glad you were able to manipulate the bar to get it off you.

FWIW - that was a concern I had about STS and the chest presses, since it's a home workout. I lift "heavy" and *never* do barbell bench/chest presses by myself. I use dumbbells. Maybe that idea is useful for others.

OUTSTANDING ADVICE!!

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 01:34 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKWriter View Post
This is excellent advice. My mothers's friend lost a son this way.

Donna

OMG, that's just heartbreaking...

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 02:41 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It really doesn't take that many workouts to figure out the weight that will work for you. Each time you start a new meso, you have to take some time to figure out what to use. You can always do the first week of each meso twice to both get in a workout and figure out the correct weight to use to start out in that meso.
Old 02-27-11, 03:35 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Wow! That's really terrifying! I'm glad you're okay and were able to figure a a way out of this.

I disagree w/ the 1 rep max approach for home lifting esp. for this reason. I also think your 1 rep max is affected by the exercises you do before it during the actual workout. (Your x% 1 rep max lunge strength is affected by how many squats you did before it at at your x% 1 rep max strength, etc.)

Just do the workouts 2x each. See how much you can push it each time, SAFELY. Don't risk hurting yourself or putting your life in danger for a workout.

Joan
I never thought of if this way. It makes sense! Even Cathe said in her STS youtube videos that when she did the workout again after she had filmed STS, she couldn't lift as heavy and had to slow down on the reps. Thanks for the gold mine of advice!
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 03:36 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
It really doesn't take that many workouts to figure out the weight that will work for you. Each time you start a new meso, you have to take some time to figure out what to use. You can always do the first week of each meso twice to both get in a workout and figure out the correct weight to use to start out in that meso.
Great advice!! I love VF!
Old 02-27-11, 03:40 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Mandy - Yikes! You're very fortunate; I'm glad you were able to manipulate the bar to get it off you.

FWIW - that was a concern I had about STS and the chest presses, since it's a home workout. I lift "heavy" and *never* do barbell bench/chest presses by myself. I use dumbbells. Maybe that idea is useful for others.

I never thought about the "safety" issues of lifting heavy weights before. Well, accept the safety of wearing shoes and keeping my kids away from me. I think we all need to take some time to look into educating ourselves into safety of lifting heavy weights. I never thought it could be fatal.
Old 02-27-11, 03:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I skipped it and just jumped into the workouts..
Me, too! If I had taken the time to do the 1-rep test, I never would have bothered with STS. I had strenght gains and was very happy with my results.

I'm sure the test is a great idea. I just don't have the patience.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 06:15 PM  
glowacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
I disagree w/ the 1 rep max approach for home lifting esp. for this reason. I also think your 1 rep max is affected by the exercises you do before it during the actual workout. (Your x% 1 rep max lunge strength is affected by how many squats you did before it at at your x% 1 rep max strength, etc.)
This was my thinking as well. Sure, I can curl 15 pounds if it's my FIRST set. But when it's the third or fourth bicep exercise, that's gonna drop.

I jumped right into STS and found I picked the correct weight 97% of time. Since I'm repeating every workout, I made minor adjustments the second week.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1rm, one rep max, one rep max testing