Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-20, 05:28 PM  
difit

Audible Trail Membership on Amazon

I guess it's really not off topic since I go walking when I'm listening to audiobooks and they have guided fitness and meditation programs.

I'm so behind in my reading that last year I started listening to audiobooks. I still prefer books. My library sometimes doesn't have the audiobooks I'm looking for.

Does anyone here have the Audible membership from Amazon? I got a email for trail membership for $7.95 a month for 4 months. Originally it's $14.95 a month.

How does this audible membership work? How many audiobooks can you listen to each month?
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 07:24 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

You get one book per credit. So for the $7.95 you get one book. You will also be charged tax and Audible will allow you to buy extra credits, but not for 7.95. I love it.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:29 PM  
diggerholliday

They also have monthly freebies plus other benefits to the membership. I get the NYT and use their sleep meditations. This month there are 10 member freebies to choose from or get all of them, ranging from non-fiction to sci-fi and memoirs. I really like it. You should also check out their free titles available during these times. Meant for kids but there's lots to choose from.
There's also Chirp, no membership required. Books as low as $2. Unfortunately the platform is a bit cumbersome or maybe it's because I'm used to Audbile.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 10:39 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

The other thing to know about audible is that you can return books at any point, no questions asked. Read half the book and then can't get through it? It's returnable. I've only returned a couple of books -- I don't really want to push it and find out they actually do have a limit on it, but the ones I returned were no problem at all.
Old 06-17-20, 05:37 AM  
pharma_gal

Is audible included in prime membership? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 08:24 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Is audible included in prime membership? Thanks!
No, you have to pay. I was going to do it but I don't seem to go through books that quickly. Plus I just like the old fashioned way, hard copy.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 08:30 AM  
dianestjohn

I love Audible and would highly recommend. I listen at work when I’m doing mindless tasks or during down time, and on nights when I walk after work I really look forward to my walks because I’ll be able to catch up on my Audible books. There’s a huge selection. I still love to read print books but the narrators are SO GOOD that listening to the Audible version of a book can be very exciting. Also some books are read by their authors, or by famous actors, both of which are usually wonderful.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 03:48 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerholliday View Post
They also have monthly freebies plus other benefits to the membership. I get the NYT and use their sleep meditations. This month there are 10 member freebies to choose from or get all of them, ranging from non-fiction to sci-fi and memoirs. I really like it. You should also check out their free titles available during these times. Meant for kids but there's lots to choose from.
There's also Chirp, no membership required. Books as low as $2. Unfortunately the platform is a bit cumbersome or maybe it's because I'm used to Audbile.
I do have Chirp and gotten a few from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
The other thing to know about audible is that you can return books at any point, no questions asked. Read half the book and then can't get through it? It's returnable. I've only returned a couple of books -- I don't really want to push it and find out they actually do have a limit on it, but the ones I returned were no problem at all.
Do you know what their limit on exchange/returns? I really don't want to keep any of the audiobooks. I just want to listen to them and return it when I'm done and get another one. Like when you use Libby/Overdrive from the library.

Thank you everyone for your input. I still got until then end of the month to decide.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 04:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difit View Post

Do you know what their limit on exchange/returns? I really don't want to keep any of the audiobooks. I just want to listen to them and return it when I'm done and get another one. Like when you use Libby/Overdrive from the library.

Thank you everyone for your input. I still got until then end of the month to decide.
Well, I don't think they intend for you to do it that way -- you get one credit each month and when you return, you get your credit back. I think if you're not a member you probably cannot return anymore, so.... you would just keep accumulating credits with that method. But I've never seen anything about a limit on how many returns they have. I would love it if they went to a model like you suggest -- pay a fee and listen to a few books a month or whatever. Because you're right, who really needs to keep all of them? Once in a while I re-listen to something just to put me to sleep at night. Since I've heard it before, I don't mind if I miss something.
Old 06-18-20, 08:42 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by difit View Post

When you use a credit your are purchasing the book and it stays in your library even if you cancel your membership. I have been a member off and on for years and it’s very easy to cancel. As a matter of fact, I just took advantage of the 7.95 a month for four months special and rejoined today. I used my credit to purchase James Patterson’s Beach House.

I also borrow audio books from the library but Audible is great for times when you just can’t wait to listen to a book or if the book is very long and you fear you won’t be able to finish it before the library takes it back (I really hate when they happens).

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon audible, audible