Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-13, 01:45 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Looks interesting, but gosh, I already have a Pilates ring.....but I know I'm weak and will probably cave......

Donna
I have 2 pilates rings, but I enjoy Lara Hudson's pilates for the most part and will also probably cave. Are the Weight Watchers kits usually released to stores eventually or online sites?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:02 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Yes, Pat. They had it on display at my meeting last Sunday.

Northlake/Atlanta location.
Thanks Renda, I hadn't heard about this through WW, evidently the notice got "buried" in something else. I'm going to pick one up, for once a kit with something I need (my Winsor circle has been through the wringer, LOL).

ETA: Summer Breeze, the Punch and Belly, Butt Thighs kits were originally at meetings only but now they're at retail stores, it may move there.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:27 PM  
donnamp

If it moves to retail, I'll probably cave - or better yet, if I can get a trade for just the DVD - no ring - I'd be even happier since I already have a Pilates ring!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:28 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, Pat. Good to know. I'll keep an eye out in the future.
Old 02-21-13, 05:56 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
The instructor is Lara Hudson. There is an upper body workout (30 min) and lower body workout (30 min) with an option to play both together. There is also a bonus ab segment about 10 minutes long. It is filmed on he same set as the yoga workout and has options for beginner, intermediate and advanced. It cost $24.95 at my center, but some in some areas it costs a little more. I have only previewed it so far, but it looks okay. It seems tougher than Lara's 10 Minute Solution videos. It is only sold in meeting centers right now.

The pilates ring, which WW calls a "toning ring", is a metal circle covered in blue and black foam.

I look forward to reading your thoughts once you do the workouts! I enjoy Lara's Pilates workouts and this one sounds good.
Thanks!
Kathy
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 06:02 PM  
LAC

I knew that you guys would be able to tell who the instructor was . I'm undecided about whether or not to get this, although I don't currently have a ring, so at least it wouldn't be duplicate equipment!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 09:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I finally broke this out of the box last night! I watched the introduction and then went for the lower body and core workout.

In a nutshell I would say this is a nice, solid Pilates DVD with some innovative moves utilizing the ring. The ring itself is a decent strength, at least now, but I wish it had more padding. Similar to the Stephanie Huckabee DVD with the tubing, whichever workout you choose automatically launches with a five minute warmup and concludes with a five minute cooldown (the same in each case).

Pros: are the three workouts on one DVD - lower body and core, upper body and core and a bonus 15 minute all abs workout. You can also opt for a full hour workout which I'm guessing is upper and lower body, but I haven't tried it. Also, the workout itself, or what I've tried, is very good. It flows well and boy I felt it.

Cons: I would not recommend for a rank beginner; that said, it is a pro that Lara doesn't "over-talk" the moves for when you are used to it. The music is sort of like the weird stuff that Element puts on its DVDs and to my knowledge, there is no music off option. It's just weird, and at one point there were rasping sounds that sounded like kitchen matches or someone scratching on sandpaper. I think Lara made an oopsie during the all fours section and referred to the right as the left, but it wasn't a deal break for me - you've already figured out what side you are on. As the workout got harder she also whooped here and there. Whoops don't bother me but I know they aggravate other VF'ers.

What I recall of the actual moves: standing warmup with cat/cows, plies, side stretches and rolldowns-ups. Lower body and core starts face up on the mat, circle between thighs for some pelvic squeezes, then crunches with squeezes, then moves into a bridging series with the ring still squeezed between the thighs. There is a challenging move with crunching and squeezing, and extending one leg and pulsing the ring. Then you hold the ring in your hands while continuing with bridging exercises.

Second segment is a side series with ring between ankles and leg lifts, then a kind of side V-up while still squeezing the ring. You remove the ring and use it as a stabilizer under the hand while finishing up with a traditional side series of leg swings, developes and circles.

Third segment is on knees, elbows on mat, squeezing circle between forearms. Starts with cat/cow, than left leg bent and knee toward nose while moving the spine in cat/cow as the leg goes in and out. Pulse the up leg, repeat on other side. Then some straight leg pulses and circles to bring it home.

Cooldown is a nice series of bend and stretch with the foot in the circle - leg straight, then pulled out to the side and up, then gently across the body to stretch the IT band. Finishes with some mermaid stretches incorporating the circle.

I'll post more thoughts as I go through it.
Old 03-06-13, 10:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Very nice review, Pat. Thanks. It does sound good so far. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this.
Old 03-06-13, 12:07 PM  
donnamp

Yes! Thank you! I'm interested, is it retail anywhere or only available through WW?

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 12:15 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Right now it seems to be only in stores. You never know, it may go to the big box retailers in time.

I still want the Belly Butt & Thighs but not that darn ball.

Tags
lara hudson, pilates ring, weight watchers kits