Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-21-20, 06:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I did Super Sculpting 1. It had been awhile--Burr killed me! I definitely wanted to smack her a few times. I'm glad you liked the chair pose tutorial! I was really working to hold some of those poses. I'm still trying to get the lighting better for when I film in that corner--the window is so bright that it makes for harsh shadows.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 07:29 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, The Bar Method can be tough especially if it's been a long time since you've done it.
If I still had my SAD light, I would send you that. It never helped me with Seasonal Affective Disorder so I got rid of it before we moved.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 07:54 PM  
cyana

Sherry - I'm trying to recall whether I found my Petrone Balls at Borders or Costco. I miss Borders SO much. DH and I spent many a Saturday afternoon browsing (and buying!) and drinking coffee at our local Borders. B&N just isn't the same.

Beth - I did notice that you had a Norman practice on your list. I'm thinking that as the shorter days and colder weather move in and my busy season will hopefully wind down once and for all, it would a great time to do restorative and yin yoga and of course, that would include Norman. That's a bummer on the sound - was it that practice on YT? I just did a quick search for him on-line - we just missed a self-care on-line workshop that was last Sunday.

Paine - Frequently the Brussels sprouts on the stalks seem a bit fresher and it's a bit of a novelty to add some fun to the food prep and cooking. One of my co-workers says Trader Joe's has good frozen Brussels sprouts. I hope some of my farmers will have Brussels sprouts this winter.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 08:58 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, yes, it was YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GztHuGj7n_E
We have a nice B&N here but still miss Borders!

Paine, I used to have a spectrum light - that could work! Looks like there are some ring lights on Amazon that are pretty cheap.

I signed up to do another Hikyoga with my friend on Friday. Hopefully the weather will be okay! It says a high of 52, which is actually around what it was for the one we did back in September.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-21-20, 10:30 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

Today's Workout: I ended up resting on my planned rest day yesterday so today I finally did the Total Stretch routine from Jessica Smith's DVD of the same name (originally scheduled for Thursday). I realized I was still feeling very creaky and stiff, so afterwards for today's "wild card" workout I did the Lying Practice from Jane Adams Gentle Yoga.

I have one more week of Jessica's Healthy For the Holidays rotation. Need to start thinking about December's focus.

I like hearing everyone's Thanksgiving plans! My grandniece will be with her daddy on Thanksgiving, so we'll have our own dinner together on Friday. It will be small (just me, my brother, my niece and grandniece) and likely informal and non-traditional. I know we'll be thinking of my other brother who passed away in May.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 09:19 AM  
sherry7899

Hi,

I took a rest day yesterday. I did not even do yoga.

This morning I just did:

Body Project-half hour of cardio
Yoga Ranger-Yin Yoga for Creativity 31 minutes

I miss Borders SO much! It was my favorite bookstore. It just seemed like such an inviting space that encouraged you to hang around and browse. For some reason I don't feel that at Barnes and Noble. I think I mentioned here that I had a Borders Visa card. You could earn $5.00 off coupons . There was a computer glitch and they sent me $700 in coupons! I did call to report it, and they said to just keep them and use them. Needless to say, we have a load of books and dvds from Borders in our home.

For Thanksgiving it will be just me, my dh and our son. I am bucking tradition and making homemade, full fat bad for you macaroni and cheese. Our son doesn't really like any side dishes except corn and rolls, so I honestly don't feel like making a bunch of side dishes for myself and my husband. We only like the white meat of a turkey, so I'd only be making a turkey breast anyway. I do have turkey tenderloin in the freezer that I can make at another time. Of course I will make something chocolate for dessert-picky son does not like pie or anything apple or pumpkin (sigh).

Sandra-sending you hugs. Holidays are so hard when we think of those who are no longer with us.

Cyana, I admit I have never eaten brussell sprouts! I'd have to look up how to prepare them. I don't think my dh has had the either. I am going to ask him.

I am really enjoying Team Body Project. They have such a huge selection of workouts. I won't get bored! I should branch out and try some standing pilates and stretch workouts. I'm really picky about stretch and dislike pilates, but maybe I will like standing pilates.

I need to crack open the bottle of Vitamin D. I am so awful about remembering to take vitamins. I have to space them out two hours after my thyroid medication, so I just forget.

Pat, I hope you like your new shoes. It is hard to buy online. I try to always use Zappos so I have a free return. I have wide feet and buy strictly for comfort, so shoe shopping is not fun for me at all.

Pam, I am so very sorry you had to cancel your get together.

Hi and hugs to anyone I missed. I hope everyone has a great day.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 09:47 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, I think non-traditional Thanksgivings are likely to be the "new normal" this year.

Sherry, it took awhile for B&N to grow on me; it does lack that intimate feeling of Borders. That's amazing about the coupons! Did you use them all before they closed?
ETA: I have rarely had brussel sprouts; I used to hate them as a child, and as an adult, I have generally only eaten them when they come with something in restaurants. This time last year, we went to a fellow couples' house for dinner, and DH, who is not crazy about most veggies, LOVED the brussel sprouts they served! They were roasted and had pancetta (the meat was probably what did it, haha).

Happy Sunday! I think I am going to try another Alchemista practice today.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-22-20, 11:34 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is an unplanned rest day.

I miss Borders bookstore too! I fear that all of the brick-and-mortar bookstores will close so that we can only buy books online.

Sherry, I like hearing what you'll have for Thanksgiving dinner. My sister often made Mac and Cheese as a side dish for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it.

Beth, I listened to some of Norman Blair's yoga that you gave the link to and I couldn't understand what he was saying because it sounded like garble.
You'll enjoy that Hikyoga class.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 12:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I enjoyed a wonderful 1.5 mile walk yesterday afternoon. I was mesmerized by two ducks that I could not identify as they paddled along diving for fish. All of a sudden a seagull flew down and grabbed a fish right out of one's mouth! And lots of other enjoyable nature sightings. I also got acquainted with the Petrone balls, did some PT and inverted. They are very effective for my blend of issues.

Well my Thanksgiving is undone again. Turns out you cannot order individual meals, all the restaurants have a prixe fix menu and we don't like their combos (stuffing made with sausage, my food allergies, orange sauces DH hates, etc.) Back to the drawing board.

Brussels sprouts, yum yum yum! I can see why they're a turnoff to you Beth, when cooked certain ways they smell.

Sherry, I think totally bucking tradition helps to deal with not having the usual Thanksgiving. Just stepping outside the box.

Cyana I agree, the Brussels sprouts on-stalk taste fresher and sweeter. You also have the bonus of the teeny tiny ones up at the flower end and simply having this amazing looking hunk of farm in your house.

Sandra - sending hugs your way. I lost both my sister and my eldest nephew between last Thanksgiving and the advent of COVID shutdowns. Having those empty seats on top of the virus restrictions is so hard.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-20, 02:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

We watched one of the weirdest movies we have ever seen last night - THE LOBSTER.

Pat, I'm definitely more tolerant of brussel sprouts as an adult; I don't think I've ever made them though.

Paine, I will enjoy the Hikyoga as long as I can keep myself warm, haha. Luckily, Thurs & Fri are supposed to be a bit warmer here, but low 50s.

Here was my week:

Monday
30MTF Build & Burn - Kickbox only premix
30MTF TLC - Workout #1, Cardio Boxing
Classical Stretch 1012, Quad Strengthening
Yoga Therapy for Back Pain & Stress Relief - Hip Openers, Thighs & Hamstrings, Therapeutic Exercises for Back

Tuesday
Shakti Warrior - Lesson #9
TAUGHT yoga

Wednesday
Build & Burn - Legs & KB/KB premix (about half - that's happening a lot lately!)
Barrie Risman (YT) - Gentle Yoga with Barrie Risman

Thursday
Shakti Warrior - Lesson #10
The Girl with the Pilates Mat (YT) - 15m Shoulder Strength, Stretch, & Stability
Heather Berg (YT) - Yin, Pranayama, & Meditation

Friday
Love Yoga Anatomy (YT) - Space for Softening & Staying (Norman Blair)

Saturday
Coach Ali Fitness (YT) - Weight Plate Workout #1
The Bar Method - Super Sculpting I

Sunday
Alchemista - Root & Rise
Maddy Morrison - 15m Full Body Stretch

Follow me @YogiBethC