Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-20, 09:48 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, & planks!
ETA...push ups!
I honestly thought I was the only one who didn't like jumping jacks! That full body jump feels so jarring to my body; same with tuck jumps (although I don't mind smaller plyos) and split jacks.

I'm not a fan of push-ups and planks and will avoid workouts that have them...if they come up I might do them modified. Same goes for tricep dips.

And I agree with clapping too! The only time I might do that is with Alice Bracegirdle (she makes it more empowering rather than rah-rah).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 10:23 AM  
Mickey12

This thread is very enlightening. It never occurred to me that some people don’t like clapping. I love to clap in workouts. What I also found interesting is how many of you don’t do tricep dips. I hate those too and usually won’t do them if they come up in a workout. They just feel so hard on my shoulders. I just do kickbacks or overhead extensions.

There are lots of moves that I don’t do, not because I don’t like them, but because they’re just too darn hard, like tuck jumps.

Fun hearing what everyone likes and dislikes.
Old 11-08-20, 10:55 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Like rhbrand, I don't like lunges and will only do them slowly. When they are done at a fast pace I don't feel like I can do them correctly. Somehow Ilaria can trick me into doing a lot of lunges in Bodystrikes, though

Add me to the list of people who don't like tricep dips, either. Or clapping.

I don't like to do too many exercises where you have to remain hinged at the waist, like bent over rows, tricep kickbacks, etc. If a workout has several consecutive sets of different exercises in this position, I won't do it. If they are spaced out throughout the workout, it's okay.

Burpees and mountain climbers don't bother me, but I also don't tend to enjoy too many types of workouts that are likely to incorporate them. I prefer to separate my strength and cardio workouts, and I prefer "themed" cardio, I guess you could say (dance, boxing, etc) vs just drill type cardio or HIIT.

I've learned over time that I don't like most yoga poses, so I don't do very much yoga at all, except the occasional Hemalayaa DVD.

I actually enjoy floor ab work, but I really don't like when you are supposed to keep your head off the floor the whole time (i.e. pilates). Up and down is fine, like for crunches, but constant up just strains my neck too much.
Old 11-08-20, 11:00 AM  
Izzy

I would like to know the physical benefit of a burpee. I am serious. I never understood how they physically help you. There are so many moves that I honestly and truly believe are not good for your body and burpees is one of them. The jarring on your joints alone. Others are tall box climbs; I am sure they are the cause of my hip and knee issues; mountain climbers, there are better ways to get your heart rate up; and burpees. I think they put a lot of strain on your neck. When we do things when we are younger we think they benefit us but as we age we realize they don’t. If anything just the opposite.
Old 11-08-20, 11:08 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I would like to know the physical benefit of a burpee. I am serious. I never understood how they physically help you. There are so many moves that I honestly and truly believe are not good for your body and burpees is one of them. The jarring on your joints alone. Others are tall box climbs; I am sure they are the cause of my hip and knee issues; mountain climbers, there are better ways to get your heart rate up; and burpees. I think they put a lot of strain on your neck. When we do things when we are younger we think they benefit us but as we age we realize they don’t. If anything just the opposite.
That's how I feel about most drill type cardio in general -and running, too! - that there better, and more enjoyable types of cardio and ways to elevate my heart rate. I played soccer for 12 years, went through military basic training, and still have NEVER enjoyed running and have found that I can get in great cardiovascular shape without doing it. And when I build my cardiovascular capacity through other means, I CAN run better if I have to, but I don't have to run to be in good shape. So I don't do it. But I'm sure plenty of people enjoy cardio drills and burpees and mountain climbers for their own sake, but I'm with you... There are so many other things I can do instead!
Old 11-08-20, 11:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Too many to list! I focus more on what I can do.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 12:14 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Jumping Jacks. It's too hard for me.

As for burpess, seriously, I think it's super awesome on your core.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 12:43 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Dumbbell renegade rows, where your hands are on dumbbells and you go down into a push-up then come up and row and/or rotate into a side plank whilst lifting said weight overhead. I actually like these except for doing the push-up with hands on the dumbbells....I detest that part! It always feels like a hand/wrist injury waiting to happen and so, so awkward, so I just put my hands flat on the floor and have the dumbbells nearby with which to do the rest of the movement.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 12:55 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Triceps dips. They just feel unnatural to me and bother my shoulders. I do triceps kickbacks instead.
Old 11-08-20, 01:42 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Dumbbell renegade rows, where your hands are on dumbbells and you go down into a push-up then come up and row and/or rotate into a side plank whilst lifting said weight overhead. I actually like these except for doing the push-up with hands on the dumbbells....I detest that part! It always feels like a hand/wrist injury waiting to happen and so, so awkward, so I just put my hands flat on the floor and have the dumbbells nearby with which to do the rest of the movement.
Yes! This exactly! It is so hard on my hands/wrists to do a push up with my hands on the dumbbells! I do the same as you- push up with hands on the floor with weights nearby for the rest of the move.

Tags
burpees, clapping