Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-20, 06:36 AM  
DCW

Now I drink about a half gallon daily and more in the summer due to walking outside.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 07:34 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I try to drink about 64 oz a day of noncaffeinated, clear beverages, and that mostly water, although I would include herbal or decaf teas in that too. I tend to be thirstier in the morning and less so as the day goes on.

As others have mentioned, hard candies, gum, and ice chips can help with thirst. So can frequent toothbrushing (although use a soft brush because you don't want to affect your gums negatively and you're brushing to stave off thirst, not clean your teeth in this case!) Some combination of those strategies will probably help you drink less.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 07:55 PM  
Erica H.

Thanks so much for the answers! I really had no idea that my fluid intake was excessive until reading your replies.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 08:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Five years ago my dh was in the ICU because of low sodium. It's nothing to mess around with. He was allowed 65 oz of fluid a day but fluid included milk, jello, soup, pudding, yogurt, ice cream, juicy citrus, and any other high fluid type food. Good luck to you.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 04:28 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
Five years ago my dh was in the ICU because of low sodium. It's nothing to mess around with. He was allowed 65 oz of fluid a day but fluid included milk, jello, soup, pudding, yogurt, ice cream, juicy citrus, and any other high fluid type food. Good luck to you.
Thank you! That is scary about your dh. My primary care doctor was really freaked out about my sodium levels and scared me about being admitted (she didn't think the fluids I am drinking were the problem) and got me in with the crazy kidney doctor right away. The kidney doctor told me to go straight to the ER if I start feeling worse.

No one is looking into why I am so thirsty, though. I don't know if it's a physical issue or psychological. But I am thirsty all the time and trying to gradually decrease my fluid intake.

Erica
Old 10-11-20, 06:45 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I drink water all day. Usually about 84 ounces. And bananas for protein? Ummm. Something's not right there.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 06:50 AM  
killoffsonny

Usually 40 to 48 ounces of water and then a couple of cups of green tea. I don't count coffee. Been told not to count the tea either but I go by the color of my urine............sorry if thats TMI
Old 10-11-20, 06:51 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Usually 40 to 48 ounces of water and then a couple of cups of green tea. I don't count coffee. Been told not to count the tea either but I go by the color of my urine............sorry if thats TMI
Not TMI at all - that's really important!

Erica
Old 10-11-20, 08:12 AM  
Terry

It is my understanding, from working with sports medicine docs in the main med tent for an annual half marathon, that you can drink as much as you want if you take in enough salt to balance it. When runners were brought into the tent in trouble with hyponatremia, they were given this nasty broth to drink which is loaded with enough salt to make even the greatest salt lover say "Ick!" Over the past 9 years, three have died from hyponatremia. I don't know if it was actually determined by fact, or assumed, that all three repeatedly refused the sports drink out on the run and only took in pure water. It was also stated that the runs on those particular days were cooler days so the sweat was less.

My cousin drank a lot of water while avoiding salt over several years. It finally killed her. The autopsy indicated that this is what caused the heart attack in an otherwise very fit woman who worked out and ate well. I never knew what she was doing but probably wouldn’t have thought a daily habit would finally take her since that inner- drowning thing is typically caused by a single event. The autopsy linked her water and lack of salt intake death with her age (58) but didn't mention anything about this being a chronic assault on her body for a lot of years.

Maybe this is not your situation but I wanted to make sure you knew about this if you didn’t already.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 08:33 AM  
Terry

I just read a paper that included: The older we get over 40, the more likely we don’t pee effectively. The less salt and protein we consume while we are peeing less effectively the greater our chronic hyponatremia and the greater our health risk due to chronic hyponatremia. The conclusion was to make sure older people eat more salt and protein but it said nothing about drinking less water. It said the protein makes us pee more, though it didn’t mention caffeine. The diuretics were discussed as medical intervention.

Your doc thus is not a complete nut job on recommending more protein, she is just “bananas” on her food suggestion.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid intake