Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-20, 12:40 PM  
sbh

Fitness is the only thing I that indulge in. I've been an avid exerciser for almost 30 years. My collection is about 150ish dvd's. I only have weights, bands, step, ballet shoes, weighted gloves and ankle weights. After working for health clubs for many years, I prefer working out at home. I am a variety junkie. I have to have a large selection to keep me motivated. Everyday my energy levels, mood, or injuries dictate what workout I will do. My DH is very supportive of me and sometimes he asks me about the instructor. He is not a fan of Billy Blanks Jr. The last time I did Cardioke, he asked me not to do it when he is home. He just couldn't stand it..lol
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 12:45 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I keep seeing this thread title and then my mind goes blank. I should have some sage wisdom about this.

Lol!

I’m (edit correction) NO sage, but I say don’t feel guilty, don’t feel like you need to explain yourself, enjoy what you have. It’s no one else’s business IMO. At this point in time we need things around us that bring us joy & comfort.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 01:19 PM  
laurajhawk

Taiga, I love your answer.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 02:35 PM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Taiga, I love your answer.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 03:18 PM  
bubbles76

Taiga I like your answer too. As an avid reader, this resonates with me. Fitness dvds are the only area of my life that I feel is in excess. I don't have a lot of shoes (I mean, compared to most women lol!), clothes, makeup, perfume, etc. I think my issues are more space related and "waste" related. I keep looking ahead to my next move and I feel that if I'm not using what I have then I am being wasteful. I also didn't grow up with a lot of "stuff" so maybe that is part of it too.

I appreciate everyone's insight
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 06:39 PM  
jusca

I've done most of my single dvds. I have some sets I haven't done because I prefer to dedicate all my time to the suggested rotation length for sets which are usually 3 months so it takes longer to get through the sets. I've just gotten back to exercise after a hiatus and I have committed to doing all the sets and singles I haven't done before so that's how I've begun to handle having so many unused dvds. I don't get overwhelmed as long as I have a plan set forward for the week. I like all the variety available. I've only gotten rid of a select few that were absolute dreadful duds. Time to shop for more goodies!
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 06:10 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I don't have a big collection, and currently there is only one DVD that I haven't tried, and it's one that I just got. I have probably owned several hundred over the past 20 plus years but I unload ones that I don't use or care for. Right now I am under 100, probably around 80 where it has remained for quite a few years. I think my collection at it's largest was around 130 (in 2006 I think), it never exceeded 150 for sure. While that might not seem like a lot, it was too many for me.

I would say 1/4 of my collection is reacquires. I am trying to be better about thinking through anything I unload before doing it, and I am not buying as much anymore. I have the space for my DVDs and it's not harming anyone but I am tired of holding on to things I don't use. Kind of what someone else said, if I am not using it it's wasteful, why not pass along to someone who will.

Fortunately there aren't many that don't get used, I am really on and off with my Firms though, they just don't get the use they used to yet I don't want to part with them. But we are talking about 10 DVDs, so not a huge amount. I need to create a spreadsheet and start tracking what I do use and anything that doesn't get used in a year or so, considering getting rid of it. There are probably a few Firms that I could part with and not miss them.

I haven't used my Margaret DVDs in a while but those will stay, and I only have 4 anyway, I would be an absolute fool to get rid of those, just need to filter those in again.

I use Cathe more often now, and my yoga and pilates collection is getting heavy rotation. Just need to gauge more what is getting used and what isn't.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 10:49 AM  
Nelly G

I have a large selection of dvds too above 500 I think I did not count and do not want to. It is not that I am in denial but there is no need to guilty it does not help me. I started my fitness collection with a stationary bike which I still have. I have also a waterrow trainer, a elliptical cross trainer and a treadmill. I saved and earned money for everything and I am still happy with everything :heart. Especially in this time.

This is so like me( written by ardnas): I have learned that what I like or feel like doing changes and if I wait long enough, the time will come when I want to do one of my oldies. I also have days where I do parts of workouts, so in one workout I may do pieces of 6 or more workouts. By doing this I can justify keeping many, plus I have the room.

I must say this year I ordered more because I noticed that some workouts cannot be ordered almost anymore or no more at all or you need to buy them at ridiculous prices which I do not do. I just made me list this year what I still need to get and got it. I got also some Beachbody workouts which were very cheap here in Europe (about 10 dollars would you not )on Ebay because a company bought them here cheap. There is no streaming Beachbody in the Netherlands.

I also did it because I do not like to pay for streaming workouts and because at my attic the connection is bad and the small screen on my ipad has no preference.
I do not make a rotation because then I feel obligated to do a workout which make me feel pressured.

I must say that I use of some dvds parts only and some dvds I do the whole workout.
I have different mood to do different workouts. When tired I do walking dvds or easy ones. When energetic then hiit. I like a lot except yoga. I have even workouts for neckpain, my back, rehab dvs which I have used. I have also face workouts. I had rheumatism but cured myself by eating diffently.
I do not go out a lot for eating ( maybe 1 or twice a year), make my own food, do not drink alcohol so not spending for that.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 10:50 AM  
Nelly G

Part 2:

Working out delivered me a lot so I really love it. My body changed by working out a lot! My husband understands why I work out and admires me for it although he knows me from the beginning when I was heavier.

Just know if I know for sure I do not use a workout I give it away to a friend or with the vf Xmas to my giftee.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 11:22 AM  
DCW

I started DVDs late in the game. But my rec center's fitness instructor over the decades had us buy/ invest in equipment to use at home between breaks in classes, e.g., mats, hula hoop,weights, bands, exercise balls, foam rollers, etc.

2020 pandemic - No more classes. I am so glad I have these items. I shipped my extra exercise stuff to DD because exercise equipment was backordered and unavailable.

I checked my library and exercise DVDs are checked out. The library has curb service.

So my "stash" is coming in pretty handy right now.

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acupressure, analysis paralysis, big workout collection, decluttering, dvds versus streaming, large collection, videots unite, vidiocy, workout space